Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ranking products by amount of shine?

Krr21

Question

I'm trying to plan out my first big detail of the year now that it's getting warmer outside, and I'm debating which products I want to use. With the plethora of products available from Adams, it's hard to tell how they all compare in terms of shine. I know that waxes generally produce more shine than sealants, but H2O G&G produces a lot of shine too. And then where does Brilliant Glaze rank? Or Detail Spray?

Here's my best guess after researching the products. I haven't used all of them yet to find out for myself, so it's purely a guess.

Most to least shine:
1. Patriot Wax
2. Brilliant Glaze
3. Americana Wax
4. Buttery Wax
5. H2O Guard and Gloss
6. Detail Spray
7. Liquid Paint Sealant
8. Quick Sealant

How would you rank them, purely in terms of shine that they produce?

(Edited to fix ranking numbers - apparently I had two products ranked #3)

Edited by Krr21

9 answers to this question

The problem with this is that they are not all necessarily a 1-to-1 comparison.  For Example:

Patriot provides a better shine than Americana which provides a better shine than Buttery Wax and all provide a moderate level of protection of varying levels.

Brilliant Glaze will enhance the shine produced by products below it and will help hide some minor damage due to its filling properties but does not provide any protection and should be used in addition to products that do provide protection.

H2O Guard And Gloss is a sealant that provides a good amount of shine as well as protection and water shedding capabilities.

Detail Spray wipedown will help to level products used below it as well as enhance the shine a little because of its wax additives but provides no protection and should also be used as a last step above protection adding products.

Liquid Paint Sealant is a long term, high protection sealant that will provide a good amount of shine on its own and also serves as a great base layer for additional products.

I do not know much about the quick sealant though.  It is optically clear so I would think it will rely primarily on the shine achieved with products before it.

Ultimately, the condition of the paint below all of the products is what will decide the true shine potential of the vehicle so if you need to polish it, be sure to do so before applying any waxes or sealants!

Edited by James__

The problem with this is that they are not all necessarily a 1-to-1 comparison.  For Example:

Patriot provides a better shine than Americana which provides a better shine than Buttery Wax and all provide a moderate level of protection of varying levels.

Brilliant Glaze will enhance the shine produced by products below it and will help hide some minor damage due to its filling properties but does not provide any protection and should be used in addition to products that do provide protection.

H2O Guard And Gloss is a sealant that provides a good amount of shine as well as protection and water shedding capabilities.

Detail Spray wipedown will help to level products used below it as well as enhance the shine a little because of its wax additives but provides no protection and should also be used as a last step above protection adding products.

Liquid Paint Sealant is a long term, high protection sealant that will provide a good amount of shine on its own and also serves as a great base layer for additional products.

I do not know much about the quick sealant though.  It is optically clear so I would think it will rely primarily on the shine achieved with products before it.

Ultimately, the condition of the paint below all of the products is what will decide the true shine potential of the vehicle so if you need to polish it, be sure to do so before applying any waxes or sealants!

Yeah, I understand that there are major differences in the products' longevity and protection.  In the past I've always had a base coat of Liquid Paint Sealant topped with another brand's paste wax.  I plan to continue using Liquid Paint Sealant as my base, so protection isn't really a concern.  But now that I've got a few other options (buttery, brilliant glaze, and H2O G&G), I wanted to get some feedback on which ones would add the most shine/enhancement.  I thought it might be a nice reference thread for others as well.

Oh okay, I understand better now, I would definitely recommend layering some products.  As far as level of shine, I agree with those above, swap the H2O and Buttery on your list. Liquid Paint Sealant > H2O G&G > Brilliant Glaze will give you an outstanding level of shine that will last even past the life of the Brilliant Glaze and can be easily maintained by treating with H2O G&G every 3rd or 4th wash.  Then just add Brilliant Glaze or a wax as you see fit to add a little extra umph.

I would also like to add that the "Shine" can totally depend on vehicle color as well. I have a white truck and seeing the same shine POP that you can get on a black vehicle is totally different. 

This is absolutely true^^

I would also like to add that the "Shine" can totally depend on vehicle color as well. I have a white truck and seeing the same shine POP that you can get on a black vehicle is totally different.

What's your go to layering combo Pirahnah3?

I have a white truck and I've been experimenting trying to find the best combo.