Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pads and dawn?

07r/t

Question

Well, I went to clean my pads the usual way, with APC. So there I am at the kitchen sink and notice that it is time to order some more cleaner, I don't have any but a few sprays! turns out the wife used it cleaning the house.

Anyways to the question, I decided to use dawn dish soap on the pads. Cleaned very well, especially the sealant pad. Is dawn okay to use for the pads or did I just mess them up. I rinsed them well. I'm one of the ones that sometimes asked questions after the fact.

Edited by 07r/t

22 answers to this question

So far, sounds like I'm fine. I did rinse really well and it is the original dawn, nothing fancy. I might clean the pads with dawn every now and then to get the imbedded polish out. Works very well. Thanks everyone

I washed my pads with a combo All Purpose Cleaner and dawn and it worked great. I rinsed them under running water in a bucket while squeezing them the rinsed out very fast and clean.

I have been using Palmolive OXI for a long time now with no ill effects.  I use lots of pads, all the time and just end up tossing them if they take too long to clean.  For me, time is money!    I'm happy with a dozen or so uses per pad.

Oh yeah.....Palmolive OXI is blue too if that matters....LOL

I have used the yellow hex-grip foam applicator for Buttery Wax only once.  Do I need to wash it / clean it before using it a second time?  From what I'm reading here, it sounds like its okay to use them a few times before cleaning.  (the pad looks basically just like it did when it was brand new - no dirt or discoloration on it)

Thanks!

You can use a few times if you want but I usually clean it after each use - the wax from the last application is probably dried up on it

....and will create dust.   I clean everything even if it's just one wipe or one spritz!  The only things I don't clean each and every time are block sponges and tire sponges, of which I have one dedicated for each respective product and purpose and when they get nasty, I toss them and start with a new one.

You guys want your mind blown - spray your pads and applicators down with a 3:1 or 2:1 dilution of MFR - it destroys APC at breaking up the grime in your pads and applicators - my yellow hex grip looks brand new after using it with Paint Sealant.

I tried this by accident one day and ever since then.... its been my go to for cleaning pads. It's AMAZING! 

....and will create dust.   I clean everything even if it's just one wipe or one spritz!  The only things I don't clean each and every time are block sponges and tire sponges, of which I have one dedicated for each respective product and purpose and when they get nasty, I toss them and start with a new one.

I do as well Darryl - I like to work clean from a detailers regimen perspective :)

Thanks so much for the responses. 

One more question - what is "MFR" that was referred to as a good cleaner for the pads?

Microfiber Revitalizer 

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels/adam-s-microfiber-revitalizer-brightener-refill.html

It also comes in 32 oz spray bottle