Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buttery Wax right after Paint Sealant

AvsBest

Question

I'm taking solely about the shine/gloss properties here, not the protection.

Is it worth putting a coat of buttery wax after the paint sealant has cured (1 hour) to add shine or is it a bit of a waste of time.

Let's say that I get a shine level of 5 with paint sealant, where is the buttery wax going to bring it? If it's a 6, I won't bother... It would be on a purple car by the way.

Before you say it, I tried brillant glaze and wasn't a fan so I don't have it. I might re-try it at some point but that's another story. I also don't have americana or patriot.

I tried buttery for the first time today and while the paint is the smoothest I have ever touched, the shine factor was pretty much the same as it was before. I sealed the vehicle 2 months ago, haven't washed it since, washed it today then tried buttery. Super easy to work with though, did the whole car in 30min without a sweat. I do take into account that it is a light colour which is why I'm still happy with it

Before and after pic:

post-12101-0-97097300-1461557898_thumb.jpeg

Your analogy is right - you'll get a ton of shine with the paint sealant - adding Buttery on top is not going to do any more for you, as you said if anything make it from a 5 to a 6 - just hit it once a month with G&G if you want to boost protection and shine and do wipedowns with Detail Spray as usual

On a dark colored car, like purple, you may see a difference. You could always maybe do half the hood and see what you think. On our vehicles after claying and correcting I start out with Liquid Paint Sealant then use Buttery, Americana, or Patriot.

Your analogy is right - you'll get a ton of shine with the paint sealant - adding Buttery on top is not going to do any more for you, as you said if anything make it from a 5 to a 6 - just hit it once a month with G&G if you want to boost protection and shine and do wipedowns with Detail Spray as usual

Along with this line of thought, would you even say that on most vehicles that are sealed, G&G could easily replace buttery?

Sure - Not that Buttery is a bad product, don't get me wrong its great - its the over combination of products that aren't adding benefit IMO - since you mentioned you already are using a regimen of PS + GG.

For me, Buttery Wax is a product geared towards the guys who don't drive too too much and really just enjoy an easy to apply and remove experience of a liquid wax which has decent shine, some swirl mark filling properties (ex. I don't have time to polish and or the energy to do it so I'll just apply a wax that fills a bit in order to put some "makeup" on the paint once every month or two) and not so much durability.  It's almost like the "new to Adam's" or "switching from my local big box store product" entry into the line - its good for what it is, and is a cornerstone for probably 15+ years now of the product line.  Its more for aesthetics and not as much for protection but at the price point its a good value for the intended purpose.

Now Paint Sealant and GG, they give off a TON of shine because of the reflective gloss of the polymer sealants, and are rock hard durability wise.  So you're getting probably an 8-9 on the shine level, and a 9-10 on the durability level.  If you're looking to add a bit more depth (again, on whites/lighter colors its hard to do) you could do an ocassional coat of Americana or Patriot paste wax if you wanted - but for 95% of vehicles that are driven regularly and/or might not be garage kept, Paint Sealant + boosting with GG is going to be all you need, especially on white/silver.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

That's some good input there and it totally makes sense. I wish I lived down south to get on the great deals but americana is about $80 up here so you think twice before buying it. I will more likely give it a whirl at some point thought.

I guess I'll try to trade my buttery for some Brilliant Glaze. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I tried BG on half the hood of a pitch black car and it didn't look any different. I was in my garage with only my usual detailing lights so maybe if I had brought the car in the sun... It was probably user error.

In this particular case, I was talking about a car that I will detail for a friend, not one of my own so what he does after he leaves my place is up to him. Maybe I'll sell the buttery to him lol!

I agree it is a really nice product and will recommend it to the car enthusiast around me, specially the ones that don't do machine.

Edited by AvsBest

On lighter colored cars, I find the H20 Guard and Gloss adds fantastic shine after sealing.  Brilliant Glaze and Revive are great for darker cars. That's my opinion.  

I guess I'll try to trade my buttery for some Brilliant Glaze. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I tried BG on half the hood of a pitch black car and it didn't look any different. I was in my garage with only my usual detailing lights so maybe if I had brought the car in the sun... It was probably user error.

Trade your Buttery for more GG if anything - I'm not personally a BG user either, doesnt suit my regimen. 

On lighter colored cars, I find the H20 Guard and Gloss adds fantastic shine after sealing. Brilliant Glaze and Revive are great for darker cars. That's my opinion.

I think I have to agree with you, H2O seems to really fit my B5 Blue and Brillant Glaze didn't do a thing to it.

Which brings up this question: On a Plum Crazy Purple paint:

I have about 1/3 of the old Machine Super Sealant which I still use regularly to get rid of it and it still works as advertised. I also have the new paint sealant which I bought in case I need to layer quick for the much shorter cure time.

Q: Can I layer the H2O right after the machine paint sealant or should I still use the normal cure time/layer guideline?

I just want to jump in as I LOVE the buttery wax for my DD. 

I put down Paint Sealant and then top regularly, about every 1,000 miles (Which is weekly for me) Usually right after a waterless (done with rinseless) wash. Gives me a little more time with the truck. With the amount I drive doing the H2O that often while offering probably slightly better protection would take me longer to actually do, and yes I have tried it as that is my winter protection. Your right prob a bit more shine after first application with the H2O but with the amount of driving I personally do it doesnt last long either way. 

Just my copper coins on this one. 

Just keep in mind that if your paint is already out-of-this-world-awesome-shiny, you may not see as much of an improvement with Brilliant Glaze, so maybe that's why it didn't seem to do too much to you. It's intended to add some temporary shine right before a show very quickly and easily and helps mask some minor imperfections, so if the paint is flawless you may not notice it as much. On my 14 year old dark indigo blue metallic Sonoma with 130,000 mile original paint, it brings back the color and sparkle to the metallic quite well.

Brilliant Glaze works incredibly on exterior glass to clean up clay residue or to make it look perfect at a show too!

Just keep in mind that if your paint is already out-of-this-world-awesome-shiny, you may not see as much of an improvement with Brilliant Glaze, so maybe that's why it didn't seem to do too much to you. It's intended to add some temporary shine right before a show very quickly and easily and helps mask some minor imperfections, so if the paint is flawless you may not notice it as much. On my 14 year old dark indigo blue metallic Sonoma with 130,000 mile original paint, it brings back the color and sparkle to the metallic quite well.

Brilliant Glaze works incredibly on exterior glass to clean up clay residue or to make it look perfect at a show too!

It is a good point, I'm not planning on trying it on my car because 1) it's near flawless and 2) very light colour. H2O does bring it back quite a bit though so I'm guessing the BG would be just as glossy without the protection part of it

I'll try on a charcoal grey truck next week. Probably under the sealant this time and see.

Kind of random but applies to Brilliant Glaze, I use it on everything but it really makes tinted windows look great in my opinion. I have a base layer of glass sealant on all windows but apply Brilliant Glaze every so often and think it looks great.

Kind of random but applies to Brilliant Glaze, I use it on everything but it really makes tinted windows look great in my opinion. I have a base layer of glass sealant on all windows but apply Brilliant Glaze every so often and think it looks great.

Do you find the BG degrades the glass sealant at all?  If alcohol strips it I would imagine the BG does as well, about 50% of the chemical makeup of BG is petroleum distillates/naptha - so it has a decent solvent cleaner in its makeup which is why it does great on glass - if anything I'd probably apply it prior to sealing the glass just because it probably makes the glass extra clean.

Do you find the BG degrades the glass sealant at all? If alcohol strips it I would imagine the BG does as well, about 50% of the chemical makeup of BG is petroleum distillates/naptha - so it has a decent solvent cleaner in its makeup which is why it does great on glass - if anything I'd probably apply it prior to sealing the glass just because it probably makes the glass extra clean.

I've not seen a change in length of beading water on the windows. In the past I've applied the BG prior to the sealant, honestly not much difference. Then again it's on my daily driven truck so I don't usually go long without washing and reapplying to see the sealant diminish completely.

I've put buttery wax on my car several times and it, since September has had a consistent coat Liquid Paint Sealant and regularly topped with H2O Guard and Gloss... I  always struggle to see what Buttery Wax adds to my car. Maybe a little depth... But it sure is relaxing. 

Similar topic.

True or false: BG will give about the same shine/gloss as the H2O?

Through my thoroughly unscientific testing I would say brilliant glaze offers more shine, but virtually nothing in the protection department (not really asked), but H2O G&G has nearly the shine, but tons of protection. 

^this x10000. Brilliant Glaze is honestly a product made for garage queens to give eye popping shine for shows etc. great product for what it is but it does not add protection, if that is what you're after.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Great for shows, meet days, cruises, etc. to give that extra pop and impression factor, just doesn't last.  It does give a shine superior to H2O G&G, though not by a lot.  My recommendation is to use the H2O G&G every few maintenance washes then apply Glaze as you see fit or when you want to impress and the layered effect is phenomenal.