Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl finder light

gymrat7953

Question

20 answers to this question

Can the light be too bright? I find it difficult to look into a really bright led looking for swirls.

In a sense yes it can.  I use a Nitecore P12 which has up to 1000 lumens but it also has 3 other different settings.  It's not just my swirl finder light but my go to flash light.  At full power this thing is stupid bright.

http://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-Version-Tactical-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B00GZYNX8G

I dont remember the price being that much though.... but if you're looking for an all around great LED flash light, I recommend the P12

Can the light be too bright? I find it difficult to look into a really bright led looking for swirls.

You might have to look at it from an angle depending on the colour. On my car, I have to pretty much set up the light at the rear quarter panel angled towards the rear door and place myself at the front fender then look at the paint to see everything. (If that makes sense)

On black, I can look at it dead on

Guest washemup

Just FYI, the Flex swirl finder light is not made by Flex. It's a Cree light with a rubber attachment that says Flex on it. I have one, it works well but is WAY overpriced. Search Amazon for a 3 way adjustable flashlight around 130-200 lumens, many available from Cree that are priced well under the Flex.

I would venture to say this is why Adams does not carry it, as they don't sell rebranded stuff, only originally manufactured stuff.

The Flex light is rated at 130 lumens, a high lumen light can actually be too bright making defects difficult to see.

When using a handheld light to check your paint, hold it about 12-18 inches from the paint at an angle, also be sure your not competing with other light sources. Darker colors like black and red are easy, lighter colors and metallic will require changing the width of the beam, and switching to low for best viewing of defects.

Your paint inspection light has to cover 3 bases:

LUMENS - everyone thinks about a light not being bright enough, but you can choose a light thats too bright and is equally ineffective as it washes out or over-lights a surface for inspection. 140 lumens is a very sweet spot for spot inspection light and will show most defects without overlighting.

TEMP - color temperature plays a huge role in seeing defects. No single color temp is ideal for ALL colors, but certain temps are more versatile than others. Many assume recreating sunlight is ideal and it is, for some defects, but for others it will mask it entirely.

FOCUS - different defects show better at different levels of intensity, so having a variable focus is so important, especially in a relevant range.

"Just any LED flashlight" won't do. A flashlight is made to generate light for making dark areas visible, not inspecting defects in paint. It'll do in some cases, but it won't be ideal for paint inspection. Anyone who has used a standard CREE pocket flashlight from the hardware store at some point or another has probably been frustrated when they don't see the defects under the light, but the next day out in the sun they do. Its better than nothing, but its no comparison to a purpose built paint inspection light.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

So the 300 lumens flashlight is too much ? and the wrong color light ?

Potentially, yes. One factor we can't always control is ambient light pollution - other sources of light crossing into the space we're observing can impact things. If you are working in an area flooded with light a brighter setup might be better so it can overcome the interfering light sources. 

We (RUPES) spent a lot of time configuring our lighting systems for the BigFoot Detailing Academy in Milan and have replicated it in Hamburg and soon the USA. Since we are in the business of paint correction at the very highest level we've dialed in our lighting systems to be adjustable for a variety of cars.

For our inspection pen lights we took the most versatile color temp (4000k) based on our testing, added variable focus, and a perfect 140 lumen LED. This proves to be the best for the most situations. I dropped one of our inspection lights off with Adam to test last week, perhaps they'll bring it in for you guys.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

I have the rupes pen and its a very nice tool to have. On my candy red mustang not many lights work but this one shows everything. Like with everything you get what you pay for.

Mine is a red/orangeish so I went and bit the bullet and bought one off Amazon. It's at least worth a try. 

Alrighty... a quick unboxing for those who maybe are interested.  I can probably try and test it tomorrow for a full review and comparison against 2 other lights that I used today, which upon my initial observations, may be strong contenders if you don't want to drop the cash on the Rupes light

Let me also say this is a VERY well made product and does feel absolutely premium. 

pics! (ignore my dirty scratched up table :P

20160514_201352.jpg

20160514_200513.jpg

20160514_200602.jpg

20160514_200616.jpg

20160514_200727.jpg

20160514_200758.jpg

20160514_200909.jpg

20160514_200923.jpg

20160514_201014.jpg

20160514_201030.jpg

:banana:  :rockon:  thanks for looking

I bought this light that I'll link below a while back for 3 bucks each. It's not a very bright light, but does have an adjustable lens.

if the conditions are correct, it works fairly well.

condition correct would be in a dark area (like a garage with minimal lighting) it will not work when you're outside (even if cloudy). I use it in the garage so it works for me.

that being said, if it doesn't work, put it in your car or something .It's a great cheap flashlight lol.

I'll try to take a picture and show you guys.

https://www.amazon.com/AMASKY-Flashlight-Adjustable-Skid-proof-splashproof/dp/B01CZRB428/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1465795717&sr=8-14&keywords=led+light+adjustable

Edited by Z06Seal