Customer Service 866.965.0400

scratch

ragin_cajuns

Question

This may not be the correct spot to post this but I figured the people who know the most about this may read this part of the forum.  In my effort to keep my truck from getting pounded with hail last night I managed to squeeze it in the garage.  I literally had the front license plate against the front wall and i had less than 1/2 inch for the garage door to clear the rear bumper.  In my effort to get it right up against the wall I neglected to notice that my hood was going to just barely come into contact with a metal wire basket on the front wall I store some car washing supplies in.

I ended up with this scratch.  What can be done?  I hate having a scratch, especially on a brand new truck.

post-14137-0-64136700-1461778216_thumb.jpg

post-14137-0-16464400-1461778217_thumb.jpg

give it time...you'll come to get used to it!  

Last night sucked...all the weather predictions and nothing.  my truck is too long for my garage so I took it to the Frisco city hall parking garage which I think half of Frisco did the same thing b/c it was packed this morning at 7.30.  And it was 50%+ of trucks in there, ha.

can try to some Dr colorchip or another brand of paint filler

give it time...you'll come to get used to it!  

Last night sucked...all the weather predictions and nothing.  my truck is too long for my garage so I took it to the Frisco city hall parking garage which I think half of Frisco did the same thing b/c it was packed this morning at 7.30.  And it was 50%+ of trucks in there, ha.

can try to some Dr colorchip or another brand of paint filler

yeah no hail here either. i thought i was so slick in getting the truck to fit with just a 1/2 inch to spare. pissed me off when i saw the scratch.   and i don't' want to get use to it.

Edited by ragin_cajuns

Sounds (and looks) like you got through the paint and down to metal.  Your best bet would be to fill the hole with touch-up paint, and polish smooth.

would that be visible after?  smooth polish by machine with what?

if there is anyone in the north dallas area that knows what they are doing here and would assist me i'd make it worth your while somehow.

Some dent less repair guys also do some impressive chip repair work where I live. Doesn't hurt to place a few calls and see what they say. I would think they shouldn't charge a ridiculous amount for a small nick like that but I have been wrong many time before, just ask my wife....

I had a nasty rock chip on my hood. Every second or so wash I go an drop some more Dr. Colorchip in it. It's starting to fill in quite nicely.

what can you tell me about this Dr Colorchip?  Never heard of them before today.

Its glorified touch up paint that's got some formulation to it that makes not 100% paint. Check out their website. Even with my metallic paint it has matched pretty well. Basically you dab the paint into your chip and then smudge it with a gloved finger. Let it set for a while then use some special formula they call SealAct and then you clean up your smudge. It pulls the paint off of surrounding clear but leaves it in the hole you dabbed it in. 

Silver is tough to fix. Really tough.

Depending on how you apply it the paint it will look light or dark depending on how the metallic lays down. 

I have Dr color chip for my Silverstone GM SUV and have never been happy with the match. Not near as transparent as some other colors.  The solids you just need to get it filled and them buff it smooth. Silver Metallic does not have the same luxury.

When a body shop repairs it they typically have to blend back a long way and often into other panels.

Awesome looking truck and I am like you.. Would not want to get used to it.  I would take it to a body shop ask how much to repair.  Its probably going to be the only fix you will be happy with.

I just had a new carbon fiber hood painted silver and had the front pumper painted as well because I removed the front license plate. To make it match to my satisfaction they had to do the grill and part way down the front fenders.

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you new truck! That's always a bummer :(

Can you get a few more pictures of the scratch from a few different angles under different lighting conditions? If you're using a camera phone, tap the touchscreen to get a good auto-focus for the close-up shots...sometimes the scratch will show up a little better depending on whether the flash is on or off too. From the pictures, you might be able to minimize the appearance of it some with something like Revive Hand Polish, but like James said, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail you might be able to machine polish it out with Correcting Polish and an Orange Foam Pad. If you have any of these products, I would try that first before spending the money on a repaint.

That's going to require paint for sure. Some will buff but looks like you have popped base coat off down to primer.

You might get a decent match from one of those repair places but I know I am not capable of repairing a silver scratch like that to my satisfaction myself.

Sucks, but if it were me I would attempt a touch up kit before a repaint. While it may not match 100%, I would rather live with it than having the hood repainted. Just don't trust body shops and painting these days, my last truck had to be repainted on the hood and front end, paint didn't match for crap and was peeling off the hood within 2 years! I would try to level it out as best as possible with a polisher and then use a touch up kit

Yeah I plan to get some touch up paint for the small part that is chipped past the paint.  I don't have a machine polisher though and don't want to buy one just for this.  Anyone in the DFW area that knows what they are doing want to help me out with a little polishing to smooth it out?

Fill it with paint first however you might try to hand rub out as much of the scuff as possible to see what you dont need to mess with.

You will want to make sure you hit the area with wax and grease remover or similar product before you do the actual touchup.

It will need leveled and buffed afterwards.

I would keep the repair as small as possible. As I said the metallics make it tough to match.

Fill it with paint first however you might try to hand rub out as much of the scuff as possible to see what you dont need to mess with.

You will want to make sure you hit the area with wax and grease remover or similar product before you do the actual touchup.

It will need leveled and buffed afterwards.

I would keep the repair as small as possible. As I said the metallics make it tough to match.

Thanks.  Hand rub it out with what? 

Well I dont know what you have :)

Do you have Adams paint correcting stuff?

I would think some of that at the outer parts of damage is going to rub out. See what comes off the surface so you know what the real damage is that needs fixed.