Customer Service 866.965.0400

Few things I have noticed

jackdurkin63

Question

Whats up guys

So I have been an adams user for about two years now and I obviously have the bug, no question about it. As I got more into I joined the forums, researched more, and am slowly gathering myself to buy a paint correction kit and finally make my way into correcting and doing a full detail. I have done the whole decon wash, clay, seal, wax, and polish or a G&G wash numerous times so my paint has been well protected for the past two years, especially because I don't drive the truck in the winter. I am a college student and a few weeks ago I took the truck out of storage and brought it down to school. As I posted in the "Detail Write up" section, I had done a good wash and guard and gloss along with a few other things to protect the truck for the 3 week stay in the school parking lot outside. With all this being said here are a few things I have noticed and have some questions on:

-Where I applied VRT, it looks as if it has streaked down and onto the paint, like under my door handles, is this from applying too much product?

- After a claying, washing, and sealing the glass properly, i must say I am not overly impressed with the way the water runs off the windshield. The truck sat for about a week before i drove it in the rain, but when i did, its not like it was flying off my windshield or anything, and when I used my wipers, they left some water behind. Are my wipers bad? What did I do wrong? 

-And lastly, after the rain, I did not get much beading and it almost felt like the water was just kind of sitting on my paint (if that makes any sense) 

I am not posting this post to bash on these products, I absolutely love them and will forever be an adams user, I am posting just wondering what I did wrong. I usually haven't seen results like this after a wash. Could it be that the truck just sits outside and doesn't move often? I do not drive it often at school but I do go and visit it almost every day lol, just to make sure no one has touched it or messed with it. You could say I'm a little OCD but I'm sure a lot of you understand.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Edited by jackdurkin63

8 answers to this question

I get some streaking from VRT as well. Even after wiping down with a dry towel. It doesn't bother me much since I know I will be washing soon once my truck gets rained on. And if the paint was dusty the wax won't be able to bead the water up.

Try wiping twice with a towel and see if it streaks next time. Something else I always think about is this; if your vehicle is "new" the plastic probably doesn't "need" as much dressing. Know what I mean?

VRT: If you weren't already, try rubbing the product into the sponge (if you are using a sponge) a little bit before applying. Not so mich rubbing into but more of a spreading evenly on it with your finger

Glass: If you are at city speeds, you won't see a whole lot of water flying off the windshield. I found that at speeds of 45 and up is when I can turn off my wipers

Rain: Which wax are using? I found that while H2O has protection in it, it doesn't show the effects as good as the paint sealant where water beads like crazy and when at speed, just flies off the car.

I'm bored so I'll dig up some video of the sealants from my dahscam so that you can compare to yours on the glass and paint at some point today

Can't figure out how to embed them so here they are. One is slow speed (30mph) paint and glass sealant reaction and the other one is high speed glass sealant (65mph).

Don't forget to click HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Fye1qc1Yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqFncvKeCY

Notice on the low speed how the water "sticks" to the paint until I reach about 30mph then it flies off. Sealant was about 6 months old on the low speed and about 10 months on the high speed so it shows it's due.

I don't know how old the glass sealant was on either.

Edited by AvsBest

Ok I got ya, Yeah I'm not really sure about the glass sealant. I was driving on the highway for most of the trip so we will see. Im going to give it an other wash this week after all this rain passes in PA.  As for the VRT goes i think I will start using a little less product. I use the block applicator and after doing my rear bumper plastic and lower plastic cowl on the bottom of the front bumper, the applicator already has tons of product in it. So I should probably reduce the amount i put on for smaller areas like door handles. Especially because I have been applying VRT there for at least two years now, so its not like the plastic is dried up. Thank you guys for all the tips! 

Whats up guys

So I have been an adams user for about two years now and I obviously have the bug, no question about it. As I got more into I joined the forums, researched more, and am slowly gathering myself to buy a paint correction kit and finally make my way into correcting and doing a full detail. I have done the whole decon wash, clay, seal, wax, and polish or a G&G wash numerous times so my paint has been well protected for the past two years, especially because I don't drive the truck in the winter. I am a college student and a few weeks ago I took the truck out of storage and brought it down to school. As I posted in the "Detail Write up" section, I had done a good wash and guard and gloss along with a few other things to protect the truck for the 3 week stay in the school parking lot outside. With all this being said here are a few things I have noticed and have some questions on:

-Where I applied VRT, it looks as if it has streaked down and onto the paint, like under my door handles, is this from applying too much product?

- After a claying, washing, and sealing the glass properly, i must say I am not overly impressed with the way the water runs off the windshield. The truck sat for about a week before i drove it in the rain, but when i did, its not like it was flying off my windshield or anything, and when I used my wipers, they left some water behind. Are my wipers bad? What did I do wrong? 

-And lastly, after the rain, I did not get much beading and it almost felt like the water was just kind of sitting on my paint (if that makes any sense) 

I am not posting this post to bash on these products, I absolutely love them and will not forever be an adams user, I am posting just wondering what I did wrong. I usually haven't seen results like this after a wash. Could it be that the truck just sits outside and doesn't move often? I do not drive it often at school but I do go and visit it almost every day lol, just to make sure no one has touched it or messed with it. You could say I'm a little OCD but I'm sure a lot of you understand.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Jack these are all valid questions and I'll try to answer them in short and try to not repeat previous replies.

Regarding the VRT, it does sound too much product was applied or a follow up wipe with an edgeless towel was skipped. Try to apply a little less product and wipe with a fresh towel to avoid streaking. Adam's designs their products so a little goes a very long way.

With the windshield and the water run-off effect I personally get the best results when I clay glass with glass cleaner as opposed to detail spray and apply the sealant in a cross hatch pattern, allow it to cure a little longer than usually and proceed to remove the residue with a glass towel. If it becomes a little too difficult to remove the sealant in some spots, a spritz of Glass cleaner will help a ton. The water sheeting, beading while you drive is purely subjective and will be dependent on how fast you're driving and how heavy the rain is falling. It may be the wipers causing an issue but before you head to the local auto parts store, try spraying APC on a terry towel and wiping the wiper blades. Sometimes a fair amount of gunk builds up under them making them ineffective. If you still get streaking while using the wipers, time for some new ones.

Lastly regarding the water beading, I will need to clarify. When you say you didn't get much beading and the water was just sitting on your paint, was it sitting in bead formation or just flat with no beading?

If it was flat completely with no beading try applying a second coat to the area. Paints are pourous and will absorb product differently, especially horizontal panels are they receive the brunt of the weather and sunlight.

If it is beading all over but the beads were stationary, this is normal and a good indication that there is product there decreasing the surface tension of the clear coat and providing protection. Unfortunately no matter which product you use if it is raining and the car isn't moving beads will remain stationary on the paint, especially on horizontal panels. Unless your car's paint is exactly like a lotus leaf the water won't roll up and fall off.

Another thing to keep in mind that beads are not the sole identifier of whether there is protection on the paint. It is simply playing with surface tension.

I hope this helps and I look forward to some photos if you have the issue in future

Edited by Joseph@AdamsAustralia

Thank you so much! That clarifies a lot. I never do a wipe down after applying VRT so i think that it my issue. Glad I learned something new! As for the glass, I did clay with the glass cleaner and wipe of the residue with the glass towel, I basically followed all the steps in the new glass sealant video. Im going to look into new wipers, I was in the truck with my friend the other day and without me even saying anything he picked up on how poorly my wipers are performing. A quick fix will be to wipe them off but I'm going to get some new ones soon. And as for my paint, the water was in a bead formation but usually when it rains I can watch my paint sort of fill up with water, and then all of a sudden big puddles will come sliding off the truck and it will look dry. This time it was not doing it, I think next wash I am going to just do an other guard and gloss sealant which should solve the problem. I will post some pics after the next wash!

Thank you again!