Customer Service 866.965.0400

wheel well liner - 2014+ GM trucks

diamondwhite

Question

Anyone have recommendations for making the fender liners look good after washing? They are the synthetic fabric material, not the smooth plastic.  I typically spray the liners with all purpose cleaner then pressure wash to get the dirt out. I have used the undercarriage spray in the past, but not on these. Figured I'd ask before I try.

I use undercarriage on that stuff before but only when there is a small radio of carpet vs plastic. If it was 50-50 I'd just spray the plastic. The spray won't make the carpet look better so no point doing it if that's all you have down there

All I did on this one is Rinse, APC with fender brush, Rinse and undercarriage spray

post-12101-0-50316300-1462300889_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AvsBest

You guys are missing the point. The wheel well liners on these trucks are entirely synthetic carpet. No matter how clean they are, they aren't rich black like if you had plastic ones and could use undercarriage spray. We are trying to find a way to make them nice and dark.

I didn't get to wash my truck tonight like I planned due to working late and the Stars game coming on, but I will tomorrow and I'm going to try a few things.

I have been wondering the same thing.  I have a 2016 GMC Sierra.  I bought some undercarriage spray but haven't tried it yet because the wheel well liners didn't look like the typical black plastic you usually see under there.  I wasn't sure what the material was so I have been hesitant to try the undercarriage spray.  Right now I spray with All Purpose Cleaner and scrub with a long brush then rinse.  If anyone has used the undercarriage spray on a 2016 Sierra (I assume the Silverado is the same) let us know.

Undercarriage Spray isn't the answer, it will just soak it up and cause dirt to cling to the material even worse.

The only effective way we've found to make them black is to spray them with upholstery dye.  Doesn't offer forever-longevity, but it's a more effective solution that will last longer than any dressing you can apply to them.

I just clean mine with a hose, that usually knocks off all of the dirt. As for making it darker, I think it is what it is, unless there is an aftermarket liner like Rough Country made for the 2007-2013's Chevy & GMC's. I'm just glad the new trucks come with wheel well liners in the back. My 2008 Sierra I had to purchase them as an accessory.

I don't necessarily want to make them look more black.  I want to make them easier to clean and keep them looking like the look now - new looking.  My truck is only about 2 months old and I haven't gotten it really dirty yet so they look good but I can see over time, even with washing, they may fade or look dirty.  I was hoping that keeping them coated with the undercarriage spray it would help keep them easier to clean and looking newer longer but I now see that the undercarriage spray may not be the best thing for those particular wheel well liners.

I just clean mine with a hose, that usually knocks off all of the dirt. As for making it darker, I think it is what it is, unless there is an aftermarket liner like Rough Country made for the 2007-2013's Chevy & GMC's. I'm just glad the new trucks come with wheel well liners in the back. My 2008 Sierra I had to purchase them as an accessory.

on my 08 I got lazy and spent $6 on a can of plasti dip and went to town on my rear wheel wells. 

I don't necessarily want to make them look more black.  I want to make them easier to clean and keep them looking like the look now - new looking.  My truck is only about 2 months old and I haven't gotten it really dirty yet so they look good but I can see over time, even with washing, they may fade or look dirty.  I was hoping that keeping them coated with the undercarriage spray it would help keep them easier to clean and looking newer longer but I now see that the undercarriage spray may not be the best thing for those particular wheel well liners.

Alright, now I'm picking up what you're putting down. I've had my 2015 Sierra for over a year now and the liners still look great, no warping or deterioration at all, and that's with winter driving in the Northeast with salt and calcium chloride on the roads. I'll admit I had the same concerns about the construction of those liners too.

Sure you could spray them with upholstery dye I guess.

If you really care that much maybe there's a way to scrape the carpet material off? Idk honestly I would just not drive myself crazy with something that will be dirty as sin as soon as it rains.

I might try amsoil silicon spray if I can find some locally. I'll spray it on the clean liner and see how it does for color and if makes any difference with it attracting dirt and cleaning afterword. My guess is is wears off soon after driving .

Edited by diamondwhite

To me this looks like you're not getting all of the APC out. Try a power washer. You can see the white bubbles on the screws.

My bad - the photo I posted is with the APC still on the liner, prior to rinsing. Good observation. 

I have about 12k miles on my 15 Denali HD and I have always just hosed off the wheel well liners and thought I was getting them clean. I just sprayed them down with a hose, then All Purpose Cleaner and scrubbed them down. I couldn't believe how much crud came off doing it this way!!! I ended up having to wash off my driveway to get all the crud off that came outta there.

I have about 12k miles on my 15 Denali HD and I have always just hosed off the wheel well liners and thought I was getting them clean. I just sprayed them down with a hose, then All Purpose Cleaner and scrubbed them down. I couldn't believe how much crud came off doing it this way!!! I ended up having to wash off my driveway to get all the crud off that came outta there.

I like to find a DIY car wash before I wash for this reason :)

Spray tires and liners with APC and rinse with their pressure wash usually works well

Edited by diamondwhite