Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing my Daily Driver, new to me as well

Werne1nm

Question

Hello,

I'd like to know where to start with my 2013 Chevy Volt (new to our family).  I'm the second owner of the car and the paint is NOT in good condition.  I mean... It looks like a typical car thats been on lease for three years before we purchased it.  There are a good number of scratches in the car one particularly one the hood that needs some attention, some on the roof and on the doors (typical three year old lease car condition).  Some of these scratches are down to bare metal in which I've already touched up with a factory but there are a lot that are in the clear coat that could be worked out. This is our daily driver as well so its going to need some protection but not a showroom shine.

I'd like to get everything sorted out this summer with the paint correction and purchase what I need from the online store.

This is what I've done to the car already:

I've clayed it with meguiar's clay bar and lubrication (it was a kit).  I did this two weeks ago after a wash.  This past weekend I've also used the Meguiar's Synthetic paste.  Both of those things have made this thing feel so silky smooth but I am transitioning my products over to Adam's Polishes.  I need to clay the windows as well this weekend.

This is what I've purchased so far and have coming to me.  

Adam's spray gun w/ 1 gallon of car shampoo, H2O G&G, VRT and All purpose cleaner.

I think this will get me a GOOD wash with the car and sealing it with the H2O G&G.  

Where should I start this weekend?  What is a strip wash and should I strip wash it this weekend and start over, clean slate?

Paint correction materials will be bought in the next few weeks.  I've got an electric drill but I am looking at the bosch orbital  polisher soon.  I want to get all these scratches out of the paint and properly seal and wax the car.  Just looking at what I should do next or where to start.  

Thanks guys! looking forward to all the knowledge.

Edited by Werne1nm

18 answers to this question

There are a few videos to watch on how to properly 2 bucket wash the car and clay it.

A strip wash is done using either dawn dish soap, APC or alchol wipe down. It basiclly removes all the sealant/wax from the paint so that when you put your polishing pad to it, you don't correct on top of anything. Makes it easier and your pads don't get clogged up.

Given that you will not be correcting anything just yet, don't bother with the strip wash for now. Work on your washing technique to make sure you are good to go once your vehicle is corrected and sealed/waxed. H2O will be sufficient for the time being until you get a stronger sealant on there.

About two months ago i started using Adams products looking at all the videos first time detailer first washed then Claude the entire car put in paint sealer since then washed about once a week with of course all Adams products today did the same thing plus used H20 guard +sealent now notice swirls and some scratches on the hood mostly how long should I wait to correct and polish now

So my understanding is that the H20 G&G can replace my wax after I strip wash it?

Or should I wash with car shampoo, H2O, then wax the car with what I have for the time being.

Or am i just maintaining the wax with the H2O.

I guess my question is at what time and place do I put H2O G&G on.  After a regular wash on a car that has already been waxed, or after a strip wash before the car is waxed.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Werne1nm

G&G can be used before you wax, in between waxings, etc - think of it as adding protection and shine but the benefit of it being a sealant is that it bonds and cross links with the paint as opposed to sitting on it like a layer of wax would -

Don't over think it, you can use it before you wax the car and after you stripped it - or you can use it after a regular wash on a car thats already been waxed - have fun!

I think you have a good plan but for a daily driver I would seriously consider Liquid Paint Sealant (LPS) after any correction work with H2O G&G as a once monthly sealant "booster". This is the most popular method and seems to provide the most protection.

For extra shine consider any of the waxes (Buttery, Patriot, Americana etc.). Also Brilliant Glaze is unbelievable stuff. I tried it for the first time recently and it looked like liquid glass when I was done!

Wait 30 mins. to an hour after Liquid Paint Sealant to give it time to cure before you top coat it with a wax or glaze. Some people also do an additional coat of LPS with good results.

I like to Detail Spray the whole car when I'm done with everything.

Edited by flyboy9994

Hey,

So I did a wash last night.  Took me about an hour! (saved time from before with adam's products)

Since I've done a good job before claying the car and waxing it, the car just needed a maintenance wash 

PLUS

I wanted to try out all my new adam's products.

I foamed the car down (in direct setting sunlight).

Did a two bucket wash with car shampoo

rinsed

Used H2O G&G to dry the car

Used VRT for all the plastic trim

The car turned out really nice!  I think it looks as good as its going to get before I correct the paint.

I think I might wait until next summer to correct the paint.  Just saving up for the items needed is going to take the summer to do so.  

In the meantime.  I have detail spray and H2O G&G.  

In which scenario do I use detail spray OR H2O G&G.  

Seems to me they are interchangeable when drying the car OR maintain a car between washes.

What I plan on doing is wiping down the car every other day from the usual road dust if its not too dirty OR after in the garage after a rain.

I do have waterless wash coming as well as a plethora of towels also :) (never have too many i guess)

So I guess i could use detail spray OR H2O g&g OR waterless wash to maintain the car every few days???

Use waterless wash or rinseless wash when doing your wipedowns. Detail spray you can use as often as you like, but the other 2 products are safer when it's dirty. HGG is only necessary to use every few weeks because it's actually a sealant and stays on the paint. Using it every few days is not necessary.

If it were me, I would do rinseless wash for all of my in-between cleaning and you can finish up with detail spray if you like.

And then on normal washes, use HGG every few weeks when you are drying and use detail spray as a drying aid every other time.

If you are wiping down the car every couple days I'd invest in Rinseless wash and extra towels - you can do a complete wash with a gallon of water and about 4 towels every couple days and its super safe.  The blue waffle plush towels would be great for washing with, buy them in bulk.

Detail Spray is basically a quick detailer that adds gloss while drying.  H2O is a spray sealant that adds actual sealant protection while drying on a wet surface, and can be incorporated into a rinseless wash routine.

With Detail Spray you are just using a drying agent to avoid marks induced by your drying technique (the most popular way you get swirls on your paint) - with GG you are adding substantial protection to your paint during the drying process.

2 different products, 2 different results but both deliver awesome shine.

Very cool.

Thank you for the information and the warm welcome to the forums.

I really loved the result I got from just the car shampoo and G&G.  I can't wait to get the paint corrected as well as sealed sometime in the near future.

Support here on the forums is also icing on the cake.  Thank you for that!

I know some forums can be hostile.  with a... "just google it!" or "look it up!" or "you should know that" mentality.  But this isn't!  Thanks guys!