Customer Service 866.965.0400

New style grit guard? Cyclone dirt trap? opinions?

DeDonDeRosa

Question

Hey guys i came across this onilne and it seems to be a new design ,well new to me cause i have never seen it before style of grit guard. they call it the cyclone dirt trap. This looks pretty interesting and seems like it would work well but wanted to get some opinions on it from you guys. This is what it looks like. I've been using my adams grit guards forever now and have no issues and they do their job perfectly, but just wanted to see what people think of this thing.  It also make a nice tight fit to keep a seal around the outside

DIRTTRAP-7.jpg

DIRTTRAP-2.jpg

DIRTTRAP-3.jpg

DIRTTRAP-4.jpg

DIRTTRAP-5.jpg

Edited by DeDonDeRosa

First and foremost, fair warning that any bashing of this company in this thread and the thread will be locked immediately and warning points will be issued...

I don't have experience with this particular product yet, as my Grit Guards and Grit Guard Washboard work more than adequately enough for me. Granted, I have not tried it yet, but from that design, I would think that larger pieces of contamination or debris would get stuck in the holes or lay on flat portions of the top surface, so the wider openings of the grit guard with no flat surfaces should in theory be more ideal for keeping contamination at the bottom of the bucket where you want it. 

First and foremost, fair warning that any bashing of this company in this thread and the thread will be locked immediately and warning points will be issued...

I don't have experience with this particular product yet, as my Grit Guards and Grit Guard Washboard work more than adequately enough for me. Granted, I have not tried it yet, but from that design, I would think that larger pieces of contamination or debris would get stuck in the holes or lay on flat portions of the top surface, so the wider openings of the grit guard with no flat surfaces should in theory be more ideal for keeping contamination at the bottom of the bucket where you want it. 

Holding my tongue here :)

Dan I agree with you, I'm looking at the small holes and sure the water thats below the "guard" would probably be more prone to stay below them and not get swirled up as easy, however, I don't think the dirt and grit particles would as easily fall through the openings to the bottom, potentially sitting on top of the guard and not falling through - that is the drawback of the design IMO

Grit Guard is the original, patented, made in USA product - stick with it IMO - and the Washboard is just another 2 thumbs up to add on to the complete system.

no one is here to bash anyone of course Dan, just came across this and wanted to get others opinions on this product on how they think it would compare to the original. We all are here for the same reason to have the most perfect looking cars and best ways to keep them nice! :)

Edited by DeDonDeRosa

I have the Adam's supplied Grit Guards and they work great. From what I see this other style has some merit in that once the dirt is through the holes to the bottom there is less chance for it to get stirred up in to the main water bath. Though as mentioned already it looks to have a great deal of flat surface for dirt to sit on and not even make it to the bottom.

So the changes are interesting, but that primarily solid design seems a draw back to me. 

The new design has one possible advantage.  Dirt that falls down below the platform is less likely to stirred up compared. to the one today. The current design relies on the vanes to limit movement but cannot prevent it. This design requires it up come back up the smaller holes.  However, some could settle on the surface since there is more surface area. 

I would give it a try if I needed to buy one.

My buddy has the cyclone on the bottom with a normal grit guard on top. They do seem to work well together and he says most dirt does go down to the bottom of the bucket. To me, a normal grit guard is fine, just use some common sense

This is an interesting design. One of the reasons people stack two grit guards is because when the wash media is scrubbed against the grit guard, it induces turbulence in the dirtiest water at the bottom of the bucket. The thinking is that this dirty water is then mixed right into the wash media you are trying to get clean.

It looks like this design may be an attempt to mitigate this risk in a single guard.

Innovation is always welcome!

I have seen them being offered and have been curious but I do not poses the equipment to really test them to see what would happen. Would be interesting to see a side by side with a "dirt mix" to see how they did. 

The grit guards in my Adams buckets work just fine. After washing my very dirty daily inlet the buckets sit for a while. Then slowly poured the water out. The soapy water was still clean and clear. A couple small specs of dirt in the bottom, nothing major. The bucket with just water literally had a thick layer of gunk in the bottom of the bucket. I'll stick with Adams ????????