Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need advice re: upkeep in a dusty climate

JCT

Question

Hi All,

I've finished a full detail of my new Mustang using my Adam's products and now I have an upkeep question.

I live in dusty Tucson, AZ and while my car is garaged, within a couple of days I always have a fine coating of dust.  Thank goodness I didn't succumb to the siren call of the black Mustang I saw first  :lol: , but my Ruby Red is dark enough that I can see the dust.

I know one approach would be to do a simple 2-bucket wash every weekend and I may just default to that, but should I be thinking about different approaches? Rinseless, etc?

Any other desert dwellers have ideas?

Thanks!

JT

8 answers to this question

No experience living in the desert, but it sounds like a Rinseless wash would be perfect for this.  You only use about 3.5 gallons of water, and you can do it in the garage.  There are a few different methods - I prefer a 2 bucket method, but others prefer the 'bucket of towels' method.  

No experience living in the desert, but it sounds like a Rinseless wash would be perfect for this. You only use about 3.5 gallons of water, and you can do it in the garage. There are a few different methods - I prefer a 2 bucket method, but others prefer the 'bucket of towels' method.

This. Rinseless wash every 3rd or 4th day is quick and efficient and safe!

OK, Rinseless it is!  The starter set is a good deal - will check to see if it includes the new double soft towels.  It will be great to be able to wash in my garage if needed - already 80 deg by 7:30 this AM and no shade!

Sounds crazy but I've had good results from grounding my car. I use an old set of jumper cables to ground the frame to my metal garage (which is grounded) and the accumulated dust is noticeably less. A lot of the dust sticks to the car because of static electricity.

I live in Las Vegas and as much as I love Adam's products, I won't use Rinseless or Waterless Wash anymore. Nothing wrong with those products (I've used them both plenty of times) but the dust in the desert is SAND. So no matter what you do and how careful you are you'll get fine scratching without hosing off your paint first. I recommend the Foam Gun and 2 bucket wash. Rinse the car off with a hose first, then the Foam Gun, then the wash. If possible, pull the car into a garage to dry it because the smallest amount of wind will blow dust (sand) onto the paint and remaining water if you dry it outside. Finally, it's best to wash the day after it rains because the rain will dampen the dust for a couple of days.

Edited by dconsmack