Customer Service 866.965.0400

Palm dual action for LPS

rrmccabe

Question

Does anyone ever use a palm size DA for applying liquid paint sealant?

Since the requirement is to just get coverage and spread it thin I would think it would be easier to use than dragging a full size polisher around.

My smallest Dynabrade does not get much use and its very easy to hold and use. Has a velcro backing pad so I would think it would work. Doing the sides of car would be much simpler.

Edited by rrmccabe

15 answers to this question

I do not. I dont think Dynabrade list the OPM in their specs. I think the free RPM is about 10,000 @ 90 psi and of course less with lower air pressure.

Looking at their site I see they have detailing polishers listed from 2400 to 5000 rpm.

Just seems it would be easier to use than a PC/Flex/Rupes when you did not need to power doing a full correction.

In addition to the BigFoot tools everyone knows from RUPES we have a catalog with LITERALLY thousands of pneumatic tools - among them palm sanders. The challenge is that most pneumatic are not going to run in a speed range that makes them conducive to 'spreading' products - and this is true of most pneumatic tools on the market. This would just be a case of forcing a square peg into a round hole - its just not suited to do what you would use it for.

As a side note, if you're ever curious about how many things we make - have a look.

http://rupestool.com/

Dylan I was at your site about 10 minutes ago and only saw one air operated unit which was not a palm type.

I will look again as I obviously was not looking in the right spot :)

I would just prefer something that is more of a one handed operation on the sides of vehicle.

Wax by hand. You don't have to use a machine. 

Any machine will have some trouble getting into tight spots and awkward angles. 

Like Dylan said most pneumatics you'd struggle to keep a good/effective speed if theres not really a way to control it. 

The Rupes Mini at its lowest speed would probably be great for spreading sealant, no?

EDIT: Thanks Dylan for chiming in below, stick to the Cyclo or the PC machines if you want to spread wax, glaze, or sealant!

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Like Dylan said most pneumatics you'd struggle to keep a good/effective speed if theres not really a way to control it. 

Thats not what I'm saying... pneumatic tools have very good speed control and consistency, what they typically lack is a low speed range appropriate for spreading waxes. With a quality air supply you can get fantastic consistency and speed, but usually at the higher RPM range... even the low speed on something like the LHR75 pneumatic is 0-11,000 opm - the jump from zero to about 4,000 happens very early in the range though. Control wise you can be very precise within its range.

Technically the precision once its in its operating range for a pneumatic is better since you can control the airflow much more linearly than you can electric current.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

Wax by hand. You don't have to use a machine

I am not talking about actual wax. I was referring to LPS.

Every video on this site I have watched says to apply it with a machine for best results.

Edited by rrmccabe

Thats not what I'm saying... pneumatic tools have very good speed control and consistency, what they typically lack is a low speed range appropriate for spreading waxes. With a quality air supply you can get fantastic consistency and speed, but usually at the higher RPM range... even the low speed on something like the LHR75 pneumatic is 0-11,000 opm - the jump from zero to about 4,000 happens very early in the range though. Control wise you can be very precise within its range.

Thus why I said "good/effective speed".

Every video on this site I have watched says to apply it with a machine for best results.

You can apply Paint Sealant by hand. It used to be offered in a kit with a Gray UFO pad.

This video is from when Adam's introduced the new Paint Sealant, see the 5:53mm

Edited by Kingsford

I get amazing results with the Paint Sealant and I always apply it by hand.  Trick is to use a hex Grip and lay it down super thin, the Hex Grips make applying it thin super easy - Use a Pro Tire Hex Grip (unused obviously) to apply the Paint Sealant if you don't want it to stain, I've also used the yellow and red hex grips with great results.

Thanks Jason(s).  My take on it was there was some advantage to getting it really thin which the machine aided in doing.  I truthfully would prefer doing it without a machine as right now all I have is a 'shakin'  Porter Cable.

Some day I plan on stepping up to a real machine.

Edited by rrmccabe

I prefer to take my earplugs/headphones and turn the machine off for LSP application so I've always sealed or waxed by hand - just a bit more therapeutic at the end of the job or detailing session.

You'll get phenomenal results by hand, the Paint Sealant goes on and off super easy, machine was more necessary with the old formula.  I've used the following applicators with no issues with it in the past few months:

-Black Microfiber Applicator (works ok, but you use a bit more product)

-Red Hex Grip (works great)

-Yellow Hex Grip (works great)

-Pro Tire Hex Grip (works the best IMO, convoluted face like the 4" pads and super soft gray foam and no stains after cleaning)

OK thanks.

I have a couple vehicles that are going to be in need of paint sealer and hand applying is fine with me.

My TBSS was just going to get Patriot since it only see's about 4 or 5 hours outside the garage a week, however one of the very knowledgeable detailing guys on the TBSS forum has talked me into LPS, glaze and patriot on it.

Not sure its a good idea as its almost too shiny now and for the first time in its life showing GMs poor metallic spray practices. LOL