Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather conditioner looks "blotchy"

clg82

Question

Anybody else run into this problem.  Maybe i'm not letting it dry long enough....it was a very hot day here in so-cal and the garage is awfully warm so maybe it takes the leather conditioner longer to dry?  I used the leather and interior cleaner on everything first.  Than applied the leather conditioner to the dashboard and it looks rather blotchy......did i do something wrong?  This is the first time i've used adams products...and it's on my wifes 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland...it's always garaged....also showing some streaking on the leather door panels as well. Thanks for any help~Chris

Edited by clg82

17 answers to this question

You did nothing wrong. It may take a few applications before it evens out. It depends on how dry the dash was and what other products may have been used on it.

Try it again tomorrow and then the next day and I bet it will even out nicely.

Gotcha. Looks like after about a half an hour it's starting to even out. Looks pretty slick after the second application in the last hour. Did I apply the second coat too soon? How long should I wait in between?

Chris there's no real wait time. This product doesn't need to cure. You should be good to move at whatever pace you decide on. Just out of curiosity, what type of applicator are you using? I find the foam "ufo" style applicators work best.

Chris there's no real wait time. This product doesn't need to cure. You should be good to move at whatever pace you decide on. Just out of curiosity, what type of applicator are you using? I find the foam "ufo" style applicators work best.

I am using a ufo type applicator.....unfortunately i didn't order the interior "package" so I don't know if I was supposed to get an applicator with the leather conditioner itself or if only those UFOs are included in the package....seems to me if you were to send someone a product that required an applicator it would come with one but i'm not sure.

I struggled with that the Leather Conditioner seeming rather blotchy and found that if you really spend some time buffing off any high spots or really the whole area in general after the conditioner has soaked in is the trick.  I spend about 5-6 minutes buffing off a single seat to really make sure there is zero blotchiness.  

If you're getting streaks or blotches, the problem isn't in buffing. It's a simple thing of some parts being dryer than others and soaking up the product quicker so those areas will look "blotchy" or "streaky" where it has already dried.  Sometimes you'll need to apply 2 or 3 times to get a uniform appearance.  Apply it liberally, don't be stingy with it.  It's good stuff and works better than any of the other leather products I've used over the years. 

If you're getting streaks or blotches, the problem isn't in buffing. It's a simple thing of some parts being dryer than others and soaking up the product quicker so those areas will look "blotchy" or "streaky" where it has already dried.  Sometimes you'll need to apply 2 or 3 times to get a uniform appearance.  Apply it liberally, don't be stingy with it.  It's good stuff and works better than any of the other leather products I've used over the years. 

Interesting.  I was always told to apply it sparingly.  This weekend I'll have to try the more is better method.

Interesting.  I was always told to apply it sparingly.  This weekend I'll have to try the more is better method.

I personally don't subscribe to that method.  Apply the Leather Conditioner with a microfiber towel, then flip over after you have rubbed it into the seat and wipe down with a "dry side" to get off any excess.

Thats all you need and nothing more.  99% of factory leather is urethane coated and you are just treating the surface (think clear coat) - using more than you need is only wasting product.

I literally apply and remove to all 4 of my seats in 5 minutes using one all purpose 350 or so gsm towel.  One bottle of Leather Conditioner will do both my cars and my leather sectional quite a few times and lasts me 6+ months - I bought my last bottle in October and am just about due for a refill.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Perhaps you have it confused with the Leather CLEANER.  The conditioner you can use as much as you need to. 

No need to re-clean them.  The Leather Conditioner has cleaning properties, and it sounds like  your seats are already dry so cleaning them again will dry them more.  Just use the Conditioner, wipe down, and reapply as needed until it's all uniform.

No need to re-clean them.  The Leather Conditioner has cleaning properties, and it sounds like  your seats are already dry so cleaning them again will dry them more.  Just use the Conditioner, wipe down, and reapply as needed until it's all uniform.

Finally had some success with Leather Conditioner recently using this method.  Put on some of the black latex style gloves and applied two pumps of Leather Cleaner to the seats with my (gloved) hands.  Rubbed it in for a solid 5 minutes, let dry, wiped down, and repeated the process two more times.  Finally got the seats streak free and fully protected after about an hour.  

Finally had some success with Leather Conditioner recently using this method.  Put on some of the black latex style gloves and applied two pumps of Leather Cleaner to the seats with my (gloved) hands.  Rubbed it in for a solid 5 minutes, let dry, wiped down, and repeated the process two more times.  Finally got the seats streak free and fully protected after about an hour.  

Should have left the gloves off!  You missed the nice baby butt soft hands you get afterward!   :lol:  :lol:

I use the red applicator to apply, let it sit and buff with MF. First time I applied it looked uneven, but after a couple more times it evened out and now after a year, have no issues after application. I do wish the red interior applicator was shaped like the other foam hand applicators, would be easier to hold.

I use the red applicator to apply, let it sit and buff with MF. First time I applied it looked uneven, but after a couple more times it evened out and now after a year, have no issues after application. I do wish the red interior applicator was shaped like the other foam hand applicators, would be easier to hold.

I am sure you could use the BG applicator for LC. It has no cut. Probably just want to use a Sharpee to mark it with "I" for interior or whatever makes sense to you.