Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wet Sandings

TR6speed

Question

I just read an article about wet sanding and it was a pretty well written article until the end and that is what caused this question.  I have always been taught that after wet sanding the next step is to polish.  If the wet sanding was aggressive I would go with the paint correction polish and then the finish polish. .  After I complete this I would either seal the paint or apply wax or both.

This article finished by saying once the wet sanding is complete use a high quality Carnuba based wax to restore that original luster.  Seems like this is incorrect.

7 answers to this question

1000 to 2500 grit.

I would say that is still too rough.  I have finished down to 3000 grit before and it still needed polishing.  So I don't get how the writer would think that they could go right to applying a wax after sanding.  

Edited by LFairbanks

I agree, stopping at 2500 would not be acceptable to our eyes.  Maybe 4000 or 5000, but I would probably use a finishing polish on those too.

That being said, I don't go higher than 2000-2500 grit.  I would rather polish than sand!

Sanding with anything lighter than 3000 is more or less a waste of time when today's polishes can rectify 2000 and even 1500 grit sanding scratches. I go straight to polish after 2500. And remember, just like polishing, you always go with the least aggressive approach. I have no idea why people will sand 3, 4, or more times. Keep taking clear off and your begging for a trip to the body shop for a respray....