Customer Service 866.965.0400

A few garage mods

Milt IV

Added some lighting and a cabinet for the junk that rarely gets used but can't be discarded. 

Lighting fiasco - my first mistake was thinking the people at Home Depot actually knew what they were talking about. Explained my wants, needs, and the space I was working with and was advised to buy a one 48" fixture with six T8 bulbs. I go home and install it and am thoroughly unimpressed. I get online to do some research (which I should have done beforehand) and come to find out the guy sold me a "high bay" fixture intended for ceilings 15'-40' tall, my garage has an 8' ceiling. The light just wasn't spreading out. It was disappointing to say the least

So I call up there the next day and actually spoke to somebody with at least minimal knowledge. He said I could bring it back and return it for what I really needed. So I uninstall, return, purchase two separate NON HIGH BAY 48" fixtures with four T8 bulbs each and reinstall. The output is amazing. I can't believe it took me a year to get around to this. Pictured below is a before and after of the single fixture high bay vs the current dual fixture setup and a pic of how dark it was with both cars in the garage with the single high bay setup. Yes, my wife's car fits on the other side of the garage with room to walk around on all sides. It's tight, but it works. Hence the painters tape line on floor. 

post-14304-0-36654400-1464123107_thumb.jpg

post-14304-0-28168900-1464123106_thumb.jpg

Cabinet - It's probably apparent that I have O.C.D. Not the kind where I have to turn door knobs a certain way or jump over cracks, but I definitely keep things neat and organized. I had this shelf with a bunch of junk on it that rarely gets used but can't be parted with. Bug sprays, ant killer, extra house paint, etc. It looked cluttered and bothered the heck out of me. Picked up one of those affordable plastic snap together cabinets and viola, problem solved. More shelves so everything is better organized and most importantly it's out of sight and out of mind. Shelf vs cabinet pic below. 

post-14304-0-33959600-1464123105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Milt IV

Looks good!  I ended up putting 4 lights in my garage.  2 over the bed of your truck, and 2 over the hood of your truck.  Although you lose the outside most 2 with the garage door up, it's fantastic light when the vehicles are in the garage!

do you mind putting the links of the lights/fixtures you got?  It looks good

Here are the fixtures. Not sure if we are allowed to link to other sites on this forum so if it gets removed they are:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-Light-Grey-Fluorescent-Heavy-Duty-Shop-Light-1284GRD-RE/202968125?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202968125-_-N

Lithonia Lighting

Model#1284GRD RE 

Store SKU #891101

Internet #202968125

Here are the bulbs I bought in a 10pk:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-4-ft-T8-32-Watt-Daylight-6500K-ALTO-Linear-Fluorescent-Light-Bulb-10-Pack-451807/205477895

Phillips 

Model # 451807

Store SKU # 1001061538

Internet # 205477895

I also bought an adapter that screws into the bulb socket that was in my garage so I could plug the light directly into that. This way the lights go on and off with the switch on the wall and you don't have to use a pull chain on the fixtures themselves. I'll take a picture of it tonight. 

Edited by Milt IV

Looks good!  I ended up putting 4 lights in my garage.  2 over the bed of your truck, and 2 over the hood of your truck.  Although you lose the outside most 2 with the garage door up, it's fantastic light when the vehicles are in the garage!

I thought about doing that myself. I still may go back and add the other two. It's really not necessary in my small garage, but a little overkill never hurt anybody lol. 

• 2 weeks later...