Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bad Weather Road Trip????

Coach66

Question

I'm taking our 68 Mustang on a 4 hour road trip to a big car show and rain is expected on the day of travel. I have Sealant and a wax job on the paint already, but was thinking  a coat of Buttery wax on the car from the beltline down for the trip could be a good idea. I was thinking about putting the wax on, driving down and then using waterless wash to remove it once I was there? Just to keep the mud, road grime, etc. to a minimum.

Any thoughts?   

9 answers to this question

I dont see the waterless removing the wax personally as there are no heavy cleaners in it. 

If you have a few min, I might bring the wax with you or glaze if you have it, do a waterless when you arrive with either waterless, or my prefference rinseless made down to waterless. Then put a coat on for that extra shine when you are there. 

At worst detail spray and towels can take are of a lot of problems. 

I would not just wax it and leave it.  What ever protection you have on there now should suffice, or you can add a fresh coat. 

This will help repel the water/road debris/etc.  Then do a clean up after you get there.

You will achieve much better results, with less work by doing this.  

Keep us posted, and post some pics of the show!

Ok. I was planning on using waterless wash and Brilliant Glaze after I got to the show. I was just worried about all of the extra muck I was going to pick up on a wet road. There wont be any water access once I get there unless I scout out a car wash. I'll just go with what I've got then and hope for the best. Thanks.  

I'll tell you a story. 

Years ago, I had a black Vette and went to a show about 3 hours away.  Sun was shining, but rain was in the forecast. About a half hour before we arrived, and on a highway, we drove through a heavy thunderstorm and the car was trashed.  Got there and the sun came back out. Guys who lived close only had to wipe down the rain from their cars and mine looked gray and FILTHY.  

So fortunately I had my Waterless Wash and a good supply of towels with me and I got to work.  I SOAKED that car down with the WW and let it sit for a bit then started wiping.  I drew quite a crowd and a few guys were laughing at me saying "he's an ahole and scratching the heck out of his paint".  I kept at it till nearly all my WW was gone, but I got it all nice again. Then I hit it with Detail Spray and the car sparkled again.  Those same guys who laughed at me came and checked out the car and couldn't believe I hadn't scratched the paint at all and most of all, they couldn't believe the shine.  They saw the before and the after and then just had to know what I used.  I tossed them each a bottle of DS and gave them the website.  Made more than one convert that day.

WW and DS are lifesavers on rainy days.  BG will work too.   

Good luck with the show, and the weather. 

I take a small 2 gallon bucket and rinse less wash with me on nearly every long road trip and vacation. I fill the bucket in the restroom or anywhere I can find water.

^this guy knows my regimen on trips - we are loading the car and I tell my wife make sure there is room for my bucket LOL