Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Sealant vs rain

Cwilliams

Question

I washed my truck this morning and then it was in the 90's all day so I wait till about 7 o'clock to apply paint sealant. We had storms all around but didn't look liked they would hit us. About half way through sealing my truck it starts raining. The longest the sealant was on was about 30 minutes on the hood where I started. I can tell it is working because it is beading off but should I reapply the whole truck or just take off where I got shut down?

12 answers to this question

OK, I just always got the impression from the videos that thinner is better with LPS.

Thinner is better, in terms of how thick each coat is. I'm not saying to apply 5 thin coats but 2 works great. Two thin coats will net better results than 1 thick coat.

Why are you guys saying reapply?  Was my understanding with the new stuff that as soon as it hazed it was ready to remove. No cure time required.

The reason I recommended another coat is because the rain may have compromised the sealant after only curing on the paint for 30 mins to cross link.  This is different from the product hazing letting the user know it is time to be removed. 

In my opinion he would have been ok as the rain is not going to wash off the coat of sealant that was applied.  Even a quick coat of Guard & Gloss would have been fine. 

Because 2 coats never hurt anything?

2 coats will not hurt anything.  It will ensure even coverage.

OK, I just always got the impression from the videos that thinner is better with LPS.

Thinner is better in terms of applying the product to the paint.  Not necessarily building layers of product.  There is a concept of the law of diminishing returns.  Meaning that more coats do not equate to more thickness of the product on the paint.  In reality the thickness of a sealant on paint is so minute compared to say coating.  I am paraphrasing and I hope the idea makes sense. 

What all does paint sealant do? I know it protects but I guess in more detail what does it do

Sealants offer more protection and durability compared to a carnauba wax.  A typical sealant lasts about 6 months and a carnauba wax lasts about 1-3 months.