Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dust nibs!

Murk Mags

Question

Hey y'all, what's the best way to get rid of dust nibs? I have a few of them on the roof of my car. I'm pretty new to detailing and I'm gonna be picking up a PC with orange/white/black pads. Are these something that the Adam's combo of polishes can take out? And how much does the finishing polish make black paint pop? Thank you for your time!

PS: sorry for the reflections! I took this inside me garage because it's raining out

post-14495-0-31177400-1464629323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Murk Mags

7 answers to this question

Can't see anything in the picture, but for clarity:

A dust nib is a small, pinpoint, sized protrusion or defect in the surface of the paint. The result of small particulate landing on, or mixing with, the paint when it is still wet.

The only way to fix a dust nib is to spot sand to remove the high spot, then polish the surface back to gloss. It cannot be done with polishing alone - sanding would be required.

Our new Nano polisher actually includes a PSA backing plate and sanding discs for this exact process.

Ah - I had assumed that was reflected light. That's not a dust nib based on that. Hard to tell from the pic, but maybe some kind of stain or surface issue that could be addressed with clay.

The spot in question has a cracked appearance to it. Texture wise, it's rough. There are two or three other spots like it, but only on the roof. 

I think I may try to clay it. A bird crapped on my car in sunlight while I was at work and it left a spot I cannot get off with washing. So I'll try and clay that. I just need to buy the PC, waiting on the next paycheck lol.