Customer Service 866.965.0400

glaze before sealant? (order of operations question)

Agent 009

Question

so i know this topic has probably come up a squillion times on here, so feel free to point me to an existing thread that i'm just not seeing. but here we go...

i just picked up my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. it just got delivered to the dealer from the plant and is less than a month old. (ordered may 13th, built June 1st, delivered June 16th, picked up June 18th...hell of a quick turnaround. no complaints here. :) ) So i'm waiting 30 days for the paint to properly breath and finish curing and all. (if you think i should wait longer, let me know.) so i'm figuring around the July 4th weekend when i have a little free time on my hands, thats when i would attack this thing with the Adam's treatment. my question is the order in which i apply everything.

i have 2 conflicting pieces of info that i want to get cleared up. 1) sealant applies best to bare naked paint with nothing else on it. and 2) glaze should go on before a sealant. you might be thinking "why am i glazing a brand new vehicle. well, there are a few little microscratches on there, probably from handling off and on the car carrier. so i'm looking to give it a good bath with some clay if it needs it, sparingly use a little revive to try to get out any little spots that have formed over the last few weeks. then brilliant glaze, liquid paint sealant, then a coat of americana.

any thoughts? better ideas? any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

23 answers to this question

so i know this topic has probably come up a squillion times on here, so feel free to point me to an existing thread that i'm just not seeing. but here we go...

i just picked up my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. it just got delivered to the dealer from the plant and is less than a month old. (ordered may 13th, built June 1st, delivered June 16th, picked up June 18th...hell of a quick turnaround. no complaints here. :) ) So i'm waiting 30 days for the paint to properly breath and finish curing and all. (if you think i should wait longer, let me know.) so i'm figuring around the July 4th weekend when i have a little free time on my hands, thats when i would attack this thing with the Adam's treatment. my question is the order in which i apply everything.

i have 2 conflicting pieces of info that i want to get cleared up. 1) sealant applies best to bare naked paint with nothing else on it. and 2) glaze should go on before a sealant. you might be thinking "why am i glazing a brand new vehicle. well, there are a few little microscratches on there, probably from handling off and on the car carrier. so i'm looking to give it a good bath with some clay if it needs it, sparingly use a little revive to try to get out any little spots that have formed over the last few weeks. then brilliant glaze, liquid paint sealant, then a coat of americana.

any thoughts? better ideas? any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

First off with new paint that's baked on you don't need to wait.

As far as BG first or PS first, it comes down to a personal preference......

I always apply BG under PS....it does not affect the longevity of your PS.

I even take it a step farther I apply BG over my polish residue and wipe them both off with one swipe, I get the benefit of the BG and the polish residue wipes off easier.

That being said if you feel strongly about applying your PS first by all means do it.

Honestly, IMO it is about preference. Some people use it before AND after (weekly). I personally feel like the PS needs the best platform to adhere to so I only apply glaze after sealant.

Edited by chops1sc

People will apply glaze first if the paint has imperfections in it.  For instance, they do a paint correction and even after the correction, there is still some light scratches/marring, etc.  In your case, it sounds like even after using some revive, there's going to be imperfections, so you could apply glaze first to help hide those imperfections and then apply paint sealant and top it off with a good wax.  If the vehicles paint is flawless, then applying paint sealant first, followed by a glaze, and then topping it off with a good wax.  I've never used glaze first; just my personal preference, but my vehicles paint is flawless and it's a show/drag car that doesn't see any inclement weather and is garaged at all times. 

This comes up too often to waste my time typing - I don't use Glaze, if you use it, use it whenever you want to although I would recommend your strongest protection on top with nothing below it, personally - again, I don't use any filling products on my vehicles so its a moot discussion for me

Edited by Ricky Bobby

People will apply glaze first if the paint has imperfections in it.  For instance, they do a paint correction and even after the correction, there is still some light scratches/marring, etc.  In your case, it sounds like even after using some revive, there's going to be imperfections, so you could apply glaze first to help hide those imperfections and then apply paint sealant and top it off with a good wax.  If the vehicles paint is flawless, then applying paint sealant first, followed by a glaze, and then topping it off with a good wax.  I've never used glaze first; just my personal preference, but my vehicles paint is flawless and it's a show/drag car that doesn't see any inclement weather and is garaged at all times. 

Paint Sealant works best and lasts longest when applied to bare paint.

I don't believe you have to wait for your new paint to "cure". It was baked in the factory and should be ready to go at delivery.

Not the same as a body shop paint job.

Correct! Factory paint gets baked on. Most Body Shops do not bake their paint but some do. 

We have over 15 body shops around where I live and only 1 has an oven to do this.

This is a thread that I often read when I need to set my mind straight and get some other reminders. 

Awesome advice thruout from everyone, 

Direct answer is Post #7 and again in #10 (from BRZN) and then again in  Post #13 (from Chris@Adams) and right after in #14 as well (from Ricky Bobby) I would recommend you read the whole thread. 

First off with new paint that's baked on you don't need to wait.

As far as BG first or PS first, it comes down to a personal preference......

I always apply BG under PS....it does not affect the longevity of your PS.

I even take it a step farther I apply BG over my polish residue and wipe them both off with one swipe, I get the benefit of the BG and the polish residue wipes off easier.

That being said if you feel strongly about applying your PS first by all means do it.

No disrespect to everyone else's posts, because you all gave me a little something to think about, but Chris, I think you put it all together really well.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Now, to tackle this monster...TO BE CONTINUED (with pictures)...

I don't think these threads are complete without a quote from the guy who was behind the technical development and testing of the current Paint Sealant.

If the reason you're adding sealant to the mix is for durability, flip the order of the glaze and the sealant. (Sealant first, then glaze) By putting glaze down first your significantly shortening the longevity of the sealant, and to that end whats the point of sealing if you're not doing it for the durability. You can do it the other way, but the benefits are largely lost.

(emphasis added)

*you're  :jester:

This comes up too often to waste my time typing - I don't use Glaze, if you use it, use it whenever you want to although I would recommend your strongest protection on top with nothing below it, personally - again, I don't use any filling products on my vehicles so its a moot discussion for me

^i vote new best answer lol

Thought you weren't going to waste you time here?

30-90 days is pretty typical. Best bet is to ask the body shop. No one will know the products used better than the people who used them. 

I've had a body shop look at me like I was from outer space when I asked the question of how long to wait until I apply my LSP. This shop had no oven. Most body shops repair vehicles from insurance claims, paint, buff and send them on their way. They don't care or know.

I wait until 90 days have passed before applying Glaze, Sealant, Wax. Or is it Sealant, Glaze, Wax. No, wait, Wax, Sealant, then Glaze. That can't be right!!!  Dang it, what's going to happen now; my paint's going to come off or I'm going to have to reapply something again. My head's spinning!

Seal your bare paint.

or

Glaze your bare paint.

Sealant is protection

Glaze adds pop, and clarity to the paint by filling in minor (very minor) imperfections. If your paint's been sealed, what imperfections will the Glaze be filling? The Sealant's in the imperfections.

If Glaze is on the bare paint will the Sealant remove the Glaze due to any solvent being present? Wait, Brilliant Glaze is solvent based?

Ready,

GO!

Edited by BRZN

I've had a body shop look at me like I was from outer space when I asked the question of how long to wait until I apply my LSP. This shop had no oven. Most body shops repair vehicles from insurance claims, paint, buff and send them on their way. They don't care or know.

Sounds like you need to find a better body shop. One that actually cares about the work they do.

I don't go to that one anymore.

However, I just got my Magnum back for the third time from a different body shop for some rust repair I wasn't satisfied with.

Get 'em in, get 'em out

Make money. It's all about time.

I talked with the owner and two different guys that take the cars in. They say they understand and will do it right. Nope, spent all day yesterday wet sanding the side of the car to try to get the orange peel to get close to matching the factory paint.

Edited by BRZN