Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lint on windshield

Bryce

Question

Hey everyone,

I detailed my girlfriends car about 4 days ago and ever since, I can see tons of lint on the windshield. It is especially apparent during sunset when the light is hitting it just right.

I'm wondering if this is a problem of

A. Not washing my MF towels first

B. Too much/too little window cleaner

C. Other

I did not use any Adams products to clean the window but am ordering their window cleaner before the end of the week.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a product problem or a technique.

20 answers to this question

When you first get any microfiber towel I would shake it out before you use it. But I personally would try out our New Glass Towel because it will not leave any lint whatsoever because the microfibers in the towel are tightly woven so you won't have that problem. All you need is a light misting on the window with our glass cleaner and you should have no lint or streaks left. Let me know if you have any questions!  :)

Glass Cleaner and Towel Combo

When you first get any microfiber towel I would shake it out before you use it. But I personally would try out our New Glass Towel because it will not leave any lint whatsoever because the microfibers in the towel are tightly woven so you won't have that problem. All you need is a light misting on the window with our glass cleaner and you should have no lint or streaks left. Let me know if you have any questions!  :)

Sounds good Tyler.  

I had first clayed the windshield so I was worried the lint was from too much moisture or something of that sort.  I am currently washing all of my MF towels.  

I'll be ordering the Glass Cleaner and Towel combo this week.  The side with the short nap looks great for windows.  I hate how the longer nap can ball up when cleaning, especially on the inside of the window.

Are you sure the lint is not on the inside of the windshield?  My wifes Jetta Sportwagen windshield is EXTREMELY grabby, no matter what type of low nap/lint free towel I use, you can always see some - almost to the point that I want to claybar the inside of the glass because its ridiculous how grabby it is, almost like there is contaminants bonded on the inside of the glass.

Hey everyone,

I detailed my girlfriends car about 4 days ago and ever since, I can see tons of lint on the windshield. It is especially apparent during sunset when the light is hitting it just right.

I'm wondering if this is a problem of

A. Not washing my MF towels first

B. Too much/too little window cleaner

C. Other

I did not use any Adams products to clean the window but am ordering their window cleaner before the end of the week.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a product problem or a technique.

what's wrong with using paper towels....I use normal store bought glass cleaner with paper towels and never see any lint....

what's wrong with using paper towels....I use normal store bought glass cleaner with paper towels and never see any lint....

I don't think there is anything wrong with paper towels IMO, a while back my process was the same as yours.  The only thing with paper towels is the fact that you can't wash and re-use them, so eventually the cost of that becomes higher than the cost of getting some towels, especially when you add more cars to the mix.  Also, you can "scrub" the glass harder with a towel vs paper towels in my experience, but if the process works for you then keep on keeping on.

When you first get any microfiber towel I would shake it out before you use it. But I personally would try out our New Glass Towel because it will not leave any lint whatsoever because the microfibers in the towel are tightly woven so you won't have that problem. All you need is a light misting on the window with our glass cleaner and you should have no lint or streaks left. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

This has not been my experience. The new green towels MUST be washed to eliminate the lint.

The blue towels were better out of the box, but the green towels are pretty awesome once they are washed.

Edited by 23's Dad

4 hours ago, MikeMan said:

How do you get the fibers off once their on the window?

Hi @MikeMan, and welcome to the forum! For removing lint fibers on glass, sometimes just one spray of Glass Cleaner with a clean microfiber Glass Towel can take care of the lint fibers; however, this can then contaminate that towel with the lint fibers, and then if you wash that towel with other microfibers, then they could lint afterward too. For this reason, I take a different approach.

I like to put 3 or 4 drops of Brilliant Glaze onto a Gray Microfiber Applicator Pad or a Blue & Red Patriot Applicator, and then spread it evenly over the glass in an up/down or left/right motion. Allow the Brilliant Glaze to haze up for 20-30 seconds, and then take a clean Edgeless Utility Towel to remove the residue and lint. The Edgeless Utility is a tight-weave, low pile microfiber material that will work well to remove the residue with minimal chance of adding any more lint to the glass surface. Then I wash all of my utility towels separate from my more plush microfibers for paint, so that I don't have to worry about any cross-contamination.  

One thing I failed to mention, if there is contamination (like fine over spray) built up on the windshield or other glass, the Brilliant Glaze may not always be strong enough (it usually is!) to remove the contamination, and this could be causing the linting. If the windshield surface has some contamination embedded into it, that can make your towels drag with some tension, which could be pulling the tiny lint fibers out of the towel. So if the surface still feels rough after using Brilliant Glaze, or if you notice that your wipers chatter, I would take some Glass Cleaner as a lubricant for the Medium Grade Clay Bar, and then clay the windshield (or other glass) to make it nice and smooth again 👍

Got my lint off. Sparkles gone to. Used Adams glass boost and glass cloths. Bought some Graphene as well for detailing the body. Wow wow what a product. Wind need to ceramic the car with this stuff on there. Love Adams products. Simply the best and my distributor here in Canada Glen Yates the best detailer I know. 

Its in the towels......You need Adam's Polish Microfiber Revitalizer. I assume they still have this or a similar product. It looks like lint but it is really microfiber fibers. Suggest before use microfiber  (including drying towel) on body test by wiping on wet windhield. If you feel the towel or microfiber does not glide smoothly. stop and look closely you will see the fibers massing on the glass (this will also happen on body but is not as noticeable). Instantly stop and use another microfiber (put the contaminated towel in the  to be washed pile). I was skeptical, however, the revitalizer truly works. My method to remove this from the glass is to wash the glass and wipe with the blue glass drying towel. (do not know if Adams still has these towels or not). These blue towels were for use on glass only (they are not microfiber). Another method is to use Brilliant Glaze. Let it haze then wipe......As O C D as I am I use to glaze the totar car when the fibers were present on the glass. That is why I learned to check for this prior to drying the total car.

Follow the directions on the revitalizer container and you will be fine. 

Yes thank you I found this info to be true. Adams does still sell the blue glass cloths and now a special green glass cloth both are excellent. The green one is a glass scrubbing pile on one side and the other side a short nap fir buffing off. Now I’m dealing with a next to impossible film in my glass windshield. Quite annoying and frustrating. I’m hoping over time and lots of rainy days it will eventually come off. Picture is from today Jan 12,2021. 

3302C2B2-42CB-4087-9056-0B5AE88CFC52.jpeg

6 hours ago, chops1sc said:

Try polishing the windshield. My wife's car had a similar film that went away after polishing with a cutting compound and orange pad.

4 hours ago, MikeMan said:

Yes will do. Ty

Adam's blue foam pad and Compound should take that right off.

Amazing ...I initially joined Adam's Forum around 15 to 20 years ago.(had different email address which is why membership doesn't reflect this). However, at that time persons were discussing the "lint" effect. The saga continues.

P S..... I am still a happy user of Adams products

Yes me too. I have had several replies from guys in this forum. I’ve found the answer in its removal. First off it’s not lint. It’s fibers from cheap non glass microfiber cloths. Now I only use Korean glass cloth and Adams designated glass microfiber cloth. Both are fabulous. The answer is using the visco clay bar and glass cleaner from Adams to remove those fibers. I clay inside and outside glass. Thank you to all who have posted.