Customer Service 866.965.0400

Always used a car wash, switching to doing it myself, where do I start?

minimalist

Question

I've noticed some damage from using a drive through car wash every week so I'm going to do it myself now. What products do you guys recommend I use?

I'm eyeing the perfect vision glass cleaner and sealant, total interior detailer kit, h20 guard and gloss kit, tire and trim combo, and then I'm stuck on rinseless\waterless/shampoo.

What do you guys recommend. Should I avoid some of those products and go with others?

12 answers to this question

I'm in love with the paint sealer and h2o guard & gloss combo. Depending on the severity of paint damage you'll need some correction and then sealer. I'd suggest at least strip wash and clay bar before anything. I prefer a 2 bucket wash with car shampoo, I don't a warm garage to do a waterless or Rinseless.

I ended up going with the winter washing kit, got the clay, and interior spray as well. Did I miss anything?

A gallon of Detail Spray.  And a second bucket and grit guard.  Or at the very least another grit guard.

Edited by LFairbanks

Air fresheners!

That's a really great foundation. You may want to think about a few extra microfiber towels for your next order. You never want to be mid wash or wax and wish you had one more. Also you can dilute rinseless into waterless. Grab a premium dilution bottle and keep that in your car for bird bombs.

I ended up going with the winter washing kit, got the clay, and interior spray as well. Did I miss anything?

I watched the daily driver video and planned to follow those steps.

The daily driver video is great (I follow a similar process), but honestly, I don't think it's meant to imply, nor would many people would say claying and HGG are really necessary every wash. Therefore, I'd recommend you pick up a few more things:

- GWT. Combine it with sheet rinsing after the non-clay/HGG washes, and you'll be glad to have it in your arsenal

- VRT. It's awesome.

- A few more MF towels, such as SST/DSTs

- The other kits you mentioned would also be good

I would also caution you...this is ONLY the beginning! You'll likely find yourself needing/wanting more as time goes by. On that note, the Mystery Boxes are a great way to build up your initial collection, so keep an eye out for them.

Edited by falcaineer

Five gallons of the detail spray or at least one gallon.  I love this stuff, plus it smells good.  I caught it on sale a couple years back, plus I think I got a free gallon with an order at some point.  So, I'm good for awhile.  I use it on the paint, glass, wheels, headlights etc.

Edited by Methodical