Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need a little help, new to all of this!

mjshaw130

Question

So I have been on a Adams spree over the past few months. The products are amazing. I have never been big into detailing so this is still the beginning for me. I need some advice though on washing and waxing. I have a new pickup truck, it is my daily driver and I live in Connecticut so I get all 4 seasons. I need a list of what to do in order for the first wash and wax, and then another list of what to do in order for my second wash after its already been waxed. Thanks guys and happy new year!

11 answers to this question

Welcome. I'm also from Connecticut as well. Nice to see more people taking an interest in their detailing. There are a few questions that need to be asked in order to guide you. Are you looking to just do a "wash and wax?" Or are you looking more to prep your new truck and prepare it for the elements?

My routine for new vehicle prep is:

- Strip wash to remove all waxes on the vehicle

- Decon the paint with Wheel Cleaner

- Clay the paint and windows

- Polish any parts you feel need polishing (may not be needed)

- Glaze the vehicle

- Seal the vehicle

- Two thin coats of wax of your choice.

- Glass sealant on windshield.

- Seal the wheels as well with Paint Sealant, H2O Guard & Gloss or Quick Sealant (if you can find it)

- Any interior treatments and dressings (Leather Conditioner if the seats are leather, etc).

Then for maintenance, you can use the Wash & Wax or regular wash and some H2O Guard & Gloss. This will help your vehicle last through the winter. You can pick and choose steps as you want and they apply to you, but different steps offer different cosmetic appearances and levels of protection. The best protection steps are the sealant and the waxes.

You really can get as wild as you'd like, or as basic as you'd like. That's a choice that's up to you. Most of the people here are here because we tend to be more on the "wild" side of the equation. When I detail for others, I always want to put out a solid product and that's the work flow I typically choose (plus or minus a few things depending on the job).

The other option is to ceramic coat your truck and then you'll simply wash it when you want and add a boost every few months. Simple maintenance. Not so simple installation as it requires a superb prep for best results. It's not impossible, just know what you're getting into when you start the process.

Congrats on the truck and welcome. Feel free to ask any other questions you have!

I'm not looking to go to crazy, I don't really have the time to sit for a whole day and detail. I just want to keep my truck and my motorcycle protected from the harsh New England weather, salt, summer sun glare, etc. there are so many products and I own a good chunk of them

already I'm just not sure what to do.

I'm new this also, but I would recomend watching the winter prep video.

I'm a huge fan of the paint sealer and maintain with h2o guard & gloss, great shine and water beads right off the surface. Can top with brillant glaze for extra depth

Edited by neontrucks

I'm new this also, but I would recomend watching the winter prep video.

I'm a huge fan of the paint sealer and maintain with h2o guard & gloss, great shine and water beads right off the surface. Can top with brillant glaze for extra depth

:iagree: (Evan beat me to it since he posted while I was typing) 

I'd also recommend you watch the Adam's Daily Driver video, In addition, here's a pretty simplified step-by-step. I'm sure I missed some things others may recommend, but that's half the fun...in the end, you'll likely develop your own order and preferences. Feel free to use or modify these, as you see fit.

At any time: Interior detail

Exterior w/o Correction, i.e. Maintenance 
  - Based on the Daily Driver process, and I like to already have applied PS, at least, to give a solid base for the HGG boost)

1. Wash wheels, rims and fenders (Products: TRC or APC for wheels; WCCS or APC for rims; APC for fenders; tire brush, wheel brush, fender brush, wheel whoolie)

2. Rinse the vehicle

3. Wash the vehicle (Products: CS/W&W, wash pad/s)

4. (OPTIONAL) Clay bar using Detail Spray as a lubricant

5. Apply HGG (Products: HGGborderless grey plush towel and/or SST/DST)

6. (OPTIONAL) Apply VRT to trim, as necessary

7. (OPTIONAL) VRT/Tire Shine the wheels

8. Clean the glass (Products: GCGCT)

9. Sit back and rest easy!

Exterior w/ Correction

1. Wash wheels, rims and fenders (Products: TRC or APC for wheels; WC, CS or APC for rims; APC for fenders; tire brush, wheel brush, fender brush)

2. Rinse the vehicle

3. Strip wash (use Adam's SW or basic, Dawn blue dish detergent)

4. Rinse

5. Dry

6. VRT all trim (will make removing any polish/sealant/wax much easier later)

7. Clay bar using DS as a lubricant

8. CP

9. (OPTIONAL) FP (if you want the next level shine)

10. Isopropyl alcohol wipe-down (50/50 with water, used to remove polish oils) with a blue waffle towel

11. Apply PS to paint and (possibly) rims

12. Buff off any PS residue with a SST or DST

13. Clean and seal the glass with GC and GLS

13. (OPTIONAL) Wax and/or Glaze, if desired (this is where others should chime in since I don't do these steps)

14. Reapply VRT to trim, as necessary

15. VRT/Tire Shine the wheels

16. Sit back, apply sunglasses, and admire!

Above all, have fun!  :D

hmmmmm alright thanks for the input guys. so let me see if i get this right, i am making these lists based off of what i have for product already.

1st wash -

wash shampoo

detail spray

paint sealant

h20 guard and gloss

buttery wax

2nd wash -

strip wash shampoo

detail spray

paint sealant

h20 guard and gloss

buttery wax

i have vrt, wheel cleaner, all purpose cleaner, interior detailer, waterless wash, tire and rubber cleaner, brushes, rags, tire shine, in and out spray, etc.

If it were me I would get some clay. The paint sealant will bond much better to the surface if you use clay. You could do this as you wash, rinse it off then put some detail spray on there, clay, and rinse again if you want. I like to clay with the soap if it has enough lubricity which makes it even quicker. Then you could dry if off and put on your paint sealant and be done. I use two coats of paint sealant which gives you even longer protection. I don't like wax because I like to put another coat of sealant on every few months and a sealant will bond to a sealant. To me you get a great shine with the sealant and more protection. 

Edited by texinfin

+1 for clay. Use the baggie test if you're reluctant or questioning the necessity.

I think you have the 1st and 2nd washes backwards - the SW is needed to remove any leftover products, giving you a naked surface to work with. Therefore, it should be during the "first wash"...and before any future wash where you want to do any new PS or correction work.

Also, in your limited time, agreed with Mitch, you can stop with the PS for your "first wash." Then, maintain with HGG every few washes thereafter. Many apply PS just twice a year, if that gives you an idea of timeliness.

Use of the BW is up to you. It will give a nice shine, but it likely won't last as long as the PS and HGG; waxes simply don't last like sealants. It is easy to apply, though, so if you want to use it, go for it!

Edited by falcaineer

Yes swap 1st and 2nd, strip wash first then clay with detail spray, and apply sealer. Suggest 2nd wash with shampoo then apply h2o guard and gloss. 3rd wash with shampoo and use detail spray as a drying agent. Should only need to do sealer 2X per year, and guard and gloss every month to month and a half (so 3-5 washes with shampoo and detail spray)

Sorry if I confused you, Matthew. I can get long-winded! I'll keep this one short...

I would recommend BW be the last step in whichever wash you do. Reason being it'll be the first to wear off of the three (PS, HGG, and Buttery).

Can't comment on the ceramic boost, sorry. I'm sure others on here will chime in, though.