Customer Service 866.965.0400

Questions about steps for detailing a new car (newbie)

mhsmith0109

I should be getting my first order of Adam's products on Friday. Looking at the weather in MS, I think I will get an chance to wash/detail my wife new Honda pilot. Below is a list of the products I bought. 

Adam's Daily Driver Detailing Kit

Contents:

1 x Adam's 20" Fender Brush

1 x Adam's All Purpose Cleaner 16oz

1 x Adam's Detail Spray 16oz

2 x Adam's 10" Car Wash Pad

1 x Adam's Short Wheel Brush

1 x Adam's Car Wash Shampoo 16oz

1 x Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss 16oz

1 x Adam's Visco Clay Bar Kit

1 x Adam's Gamma Seal & Grit Guard Car Wash Bucket

2 x Adam's Borderless Gray Towel

Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing 16oz

Adam's VRT Super Block Tire Dressing Applicator

Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant Kit

Contents

1 x Adam's Blue Microfiber Applicator Pads (2 Pack)

1 x Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant 8oz

1 x Adam's Double Soft Microfiber Towel 1 Pack

Here are the steps I was gong to follow:

1. Clean rims, tires, and wheel wells 

2. Wash vehicle

3. Dry the vehicle

4. Pull vehicle in the garage

5. Clay the exterior

6. Dress the exterior trim 

7. Apply LPS to exterior (headlights and rims)

My questions are:

​1. Does the car need to be dried before claying?

2. Do I need to re-wash and dry the vehicle after claying or can it just be wiped up with a microfiber towel?

3. Since I do not have anything for my windows yet, can/should I use LPS or use the H2O GG on them after step 7?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully will post pics after I am finished. 

Thanks 

Your steps are in the same order I do mine.

1) Probably gonna be easier to dry the vehicle before claying
2) Just wiping off the detail spray after a panel or 2 is fine, no need to rewash.

3) H20 works great to seal the windows until you get your hands on the real stuff, window sealant

Agreed with not needing to dry before claying. You don't have to wipe the clay residue off, but you certainly can. And ditto for using the HGG on glass (not PS!).

One tip/clarification on step 2, though...do you mean a strip wash? If not, and since I don't see SW on your (impressive!) purchase list, I recommend you use 2-3 oz of blue Dawn detergent in gallon or two of water to do the first wash. It'll remove any leftover products the dealer may have applied and give a naked surface to start with. The wash you may or may not do later in the process can use normal CS.

Have fun! Looking forward to pics.

Edited by falcaineer

Agreed with not needing to dry before claying. You don't have to wipe the clay residue off, but you certainly can. And ditto for using the HGG on glass (not PS!).

One tip/clarification on step 2, though...do you mean a strip wash? If not, and since I don't see SW on your (impressive!) purchase list, I recommend you use 2-3 oz of blue Dawn detergent in gallon or two of water to do the first wash. It'll remove any leftover products the dealer may have applied and give a naked surface to start with. The wash you may or may not do later in the process can use normal CS.

Have fun! Looking forward to pics.

Thanks for that advice. Question again. Would you dawn or use some of the all purpose cleaner along with the soap to strip the car?

Edited by mhsmith0109

I use Dawn (just got SW so haven't tried it yet) but yes, APC will work just fine, too. Using it for this may drain your supply faster than you'd like, though.

It really doesn't take much apc to create strip wash. Just two or three oz in with the car wash soap will do it. It's kinder on your plastic trim than Dawn, too.

Edited by Beemer

It really doesn't take much apc to create strip wash. Just two or three oz in with the car wash soap will do it. It's kinder on your plastic trim than Dawn, too.

Thanks for the additional info, Roger. I didn't know how much it would take.

mh, it's your call. At 2-3 oz of only one 16 oz bottle, I'd still be concerned it would get used up a little too fast. I'm Also assuming you will use it for the tires, too, since no TRC is listed. To counter the Dawn's potential affects, I use VRT to recondition the trim.

Just got my order today. Looks like I have a helper. I think I will try adding some APC since the pilot has some black plastic trim at the bottom. I also purchased 2 MB today so hopefully will get some good stuff to add to what I ordered. Thanks for advice. I was surprised that anyone responded. 

post-15375-0-24164100-1484016819_thumb.jpg

post-15375-0-97683700-1484016855_thumb.jpg

We're here to help...

Did he come with the order?! I can only imagine what's going to be in your Mystery Boxes!  ;) Handsome little guy, though. I think that fender brush is almost as tall as he is...hope you have a blast with him!  :thumbsup:  :cool:

Edited by falcaineer