Customer Service 866.965.0400

Possible "mentorships?"

shane@detailedreflections

Question

A discussion over private messages last night got me thinking about some things. It seems it's not uncommon here to find people who want to get into polishing or try polishing for their vehicles. One of the biggest barriers to them taking the leap is a bit of uncertainty of the process. There's a lot of concern about "what if I do it wrong?" or "am I doing it right?"

My thought to help ease the jump to the next level for some people was to have a list of people that were willing to take the time to show someone the ropes a bit. The list could be organized by area so you can look up your area and see who's around that's willing. There would be no fee involved obviously for the mentor or mentee. Although I would say it would be nice if after you've worked with someone...they offered to at least buy you a drink. But that's just courtesy.

At worst, you spend some time doing a good deed and helping someone. At best, you make a new friend and get to maybe see some cool cars.

Anyway, just a thought...and a very rough idea at that.

25 answers to this question

I would be in for that... I'll bring a cooler full of Gatorade and Beer!  Would love to be able to "look over the shoulder" of someone that knows what they are doing before attacking my cars here with my DA.  Was thinking of using my sisters car as a test car before hitting my Camaro... she wouldn't know  a good vs. bad job..hehe...  I'm in the Toronto Ontario area...

I like the idea, but to me there is way to much variability of people and ability for Adam's to even think about this as a true program. 

I think certainly its a great idea for others to work together locally especially asking if there is someone around with a product to try or demo with them or something like that. I would think it if stuck to something just as an open thread like this that folks can then take things to PM's for the specifics as they wanted to it would be something that could assist other members. 

I have learned so much from folks all over the world just by reading on here and getting ideas. You are certainly correct thou, it was a friend that was using it that really got me interested in it and then the forums did the rest. Adams Videos are also a fantastic place to learn from, and I still find myself going back regularly to see things and make sure I have not strayed from the masters too far. 

With that much said, I think getting more smaller regional GTG's that people can make would be awesome so long as they are put on by folks that can demonstrate a certain level of use with Adams products and can answer questions not just in a their method of use but also including alternate products or techniques. I know people can easily say, well just go to Carlisle, if you have not been the Adams tent is normally NUTS from Friday to Sunday. The guys do a great job there demoing products and helping people but its not like you see in photos from stuff Adam does at HQ where its there to just be a clinic designed to show something and take Q & A as well as possible hands on stuff. 

Personally, I offer anyone I know that is an Adams fan, and friends I am working on showing the way to, to come by and try stuff out, even use it on my vehicle first if your not sure. I have a good friend coming by this spring to check out polishers and try it for himself. He has always paid to have his detail work done but is coming around to wanting to do it (Thank you Waterless Wash!) He is semi hesitant to want to buy it all as he doesnt know about it, so I offered him to come by my place and see the collection and try whatever he wants.I have been encouraging him to watch the videos and to join here to read up and see what everyone is doing. 

There is always more than one way to skin the animal, just ask your local butcher or hunter. 

I don't even know if Adam's needs to consider it an "official" program.  It can be something we do ourselves.  If Adam's got behind it on some level, that would be great though.

Keeping it to a thread that's made into a sticky is a great option.  It's a means for people to look and see who's in their area and who they can contact that would be willing to help.  I still refer to videos if it's been a while since I've done something or if I'm unsure.  And there is a ton of information here to be had.  Sometimes there's no replacement for seeing something demonstrated in person.

The idea you have of GTG's would fall more along the lines of an "ambassador" program.  That would be pretty interesting in concept.  The biggest obstacle there is how do you demonstrate proficiency?  Through showcasing your work on the forum?  Being active here and demonstrating knowledgeable answers?  Those are logistics open for discussion.

My garage door is always open if anyone is in the area and wants to see anything.  I usually have a job booked in somewhere or I'm working on my own vehicle.  I'd be happy to help show someone the ropes.  Like you said, there's many approaches.  None necessarily better or worse than the other. 

The idea you have of GTG's would fall more along the lines of an "ambassador" program.  That would be pretty interesting in concept.  The biggest obstacle there is how do you demonstrate proficiency?  Through showcasing your work on the forum?  Being active here and demonstrating knowledgeable answers?  Those are logistics open for discussion.

My garage door is always open if anyone is in the area and wants to see anything.  I usually have a job booked in somewhere or I'm working on my own vehicle.  I'd be happy to help show someone the ropes.  Like you said, there's many approaches.  None necessarily better or worse than the other. 

I was thinking with the "Ambassador" program as you would call it, that they would be vetted by the Adams team, such as folks like Dan, Dave, or other folks that do events for Adams that know how to not just use the product but promote and keep the image of Adams during the event. I am sure there would be ways to demonstrate your level of ability to enter this program but would be limited. 

Ill PM you on that second line. 

I think this is a great idea. If Adam's dealers could run small, one day seminars or demos it would be quite a draw for me. To see a product in action before buying, learning new tips and tricks straight from a professional, and the ability to buy said products on the spot. I'd be interested in that.

I think this is a great idea. If Adam's dealers could run small, one day seminars or demos it would be quite a draw for me. To see a product in action before buying, learning new tips and tricks straight from a professional, and the ability to buy said products on the spot. I'd be interested in that.

Taking it as far as seminars could definitely be a possibility.  That would take the involvement of Adam's as well though.  I've thought of selling supplies to my clients, but I've not wanted to dabble in keeping "inventory" (which I'd have to pay for up front and hope to sell through).  I have enough expense in keeping the products I consume.  If I had enough people in my area who wanted to purchase through a dealer, it would definitely be something I'd give consideration to. 

My initial thoughts were just to help provide the nudge and security blanket for those considering to make the leap to the next level of car care and to make some new friends along the way.  By no means is my vision an official one...it was just a thought and this is the think tank to see if it's viable and where we collectively as group would like to see it go (if anywhere).

that's a great idea. I was going to post something similar. I was going to ask if Adam would ever consider setting up some sort or program/classes that would teach you to detail. I know a lot of it comes with experience but the fundamentals. I'm currently a tech at a dealership and I have thought/considered changing career (flat rate world sucks sometimes) to becoming my own boss. I would love to have my own detail business and be Adams certified. Thanks to my obsession and his DVD's/youtube videos I have small knowledge of most of the products and where to use them. I really enjoy fixing cars but I love cleaning/detailing more lol

Most dealers do local clinics. I sponsor lots of clubs and host anywhere from 6 to 15 or so demos throughout the year for the various clubs. I'm also happy to do a clinic and demos for anybody who wants to organize a group of say 10 or more people although that has only happened one time. Having a retail showroom, I can sell you what I just showed you, you take it home and use it that same day.

Back to the point if this thread, I recall a few years back, there was some talk about "authorized" training and classes but I don't think it ever grew legs.

Edited by Odds and Ends

There are clinics held year round in various areas and at shows.  Plus there are step by step videos on every product.  The forum here serves to answer questions and make suggestions. Just the logistics of having regional training sessions is nearly impossible.  And how many people want to have to travel to Colorado, New England, or California or Florida just for this reason? As for people who are willing to be available to "teach", I would think that would be a friendly thing rather than a paid thing. While there are many on here who are comfortable working on their own cars,  I don't think there are enough who are completely familiar and expert enough with machine use to be able to cover the whole country.  I've been using Adam's for over 12 years, yet I still wouldn't attempt to use anything more than a PC.  Plus there's the expense of product and machines, etc. to be considered. Lots of variables. 

Of course, the team would have to weigh in on this, and this post is just me putting together my thoughts on the subject. 

There are clinics held year round in various areas and at shows.  Plus there are step by step videos on every product.  The forum here serves to answer questions and make suggestions. Just the logistics of having regional training sessions is nearly impossible.  And how many people want to have to travel to Colorado, New England, or California or Florida just for this reason? As for people who are willing to be available to "teach", I would think that would be a friendly thing rather than a paid thing. While there are many on here who are comfortable working on their own cars,  I don't think there are enough who are completely familiar and expert enough with machine use to be able to cover the whole country.  I've been using Adam's for over 12 years, yet I still wouldn't attempt to use anything more than a PC.  Plus there's the expense of product and machines, etc. to be considered. Lots of variables. 

Of course, the team would have to weigh in on this, and this post is just me putting together my thoughts on the subject. 

:iagree:  Rich made a lot of very good, realistic points in his post. Experienced detailer here, with most of the polishers offered here except for a PC, use all at different times. Best bet would be for those interested in learning to attend a clinic put on by Adam's retailer in your area. A lot of times, the Adam's team is well represented, can answer all questions on products and processes, allow you to perform and learn the correct methods, etc.

It would be more of the interested person(s) taking some initiative on their own to make certain to attend one of these sessions, as they typically are held in a wide variety of locations around the USA as the Adam's team time/schedule permits.

The Adam's team still need to produce, market, and deliver the Adam's products to the end user consumers to stay in business, and that should be their number 1 objective.

I like the idea but agree it will have to be "organic" and local instead of a national, formal program.

Adam's users living in large metropolitan areas can easily organize an event and invite locals and those willing to travel nearby.   For users living in more rural areas, small cities, towns a good distance from a large city, any effort will have to be home grown.   

Maybe start with a few folks in a large metro area organizing a GTG and announcing it here.  Generate some interest locally and regionally.  I could see, for example, a decent sized GTG in metro Atlanta, with smaller groups in places like Birmingham, Greenville, Columbia, Savannah, etc.   

The biggest issue is communication and awareness.

I wouldn't think it would be in Adam's best interest either to have representatives who do private clinics, and then have something go wrong.  Something like a burn through the clearcoat from a less than expert detailer or a machine malfunction.  In this day and age, everyone sues everyone when things go wrong. Why would Adam or the company want to risk it? 

I like this idea, Shane.  In fact, I've already done this several times for friends and co-workers who know I'm an avid detailer.  (At least a couple became Adam's customers, as a result of our interaction.)

Seems like some folks are over-thinking this.  "Official" clinics are the best way to learn from "vetted" experts, but they're not the ONLY way.  I see NO need for Adam's to assume any liability here by "endorsing" or "vetting" "representatives," much less expend any resources on "compensation."  

I don't want to put words in Shane's mouth, but I THINK his initial suggestion was a simple list of experienced enthusiasts, willing to make themselves available to less experienced beginners, organized by geographic region.  Since I'm already doing it, count me in.

Edited by Norton

I like this idea, Shane. In fact, I've already done this several times for friends and co-workers who know I'm an avid detailer. (At least a couple became Adam's customers, as a result of our interaction.)

Seems like some folks are over-thinking this. "Official" clinics are the best way to learn from "vetted" experts, but they're not the ONLY way. I see NO need for Adam's to assume any liability here by "endorsing" or "vetting" "representatives," much less expend any resources on "compensation."

I don't want to put words in Shane's mouth, but I THINK his initial suggestion was a simple list of experienced enthusiasts, willing to make themselves available to less experienced beginners, organized by geographic region. Since I'm already doing it, count me in.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't need to be endorsed by Adam's at all (unless they had a vision). Just some people who would be willing to take the time to show someone newer or wanting to expand their skill set the ways.

I'd be in for the Connecticut area if anyone wants help!

Anyone could do that.  It wouldn't have to involve Adam's at all.  

Exactly!  Except, perhaps making this thread a Sticky...

That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't need to be endorsed by Adam's at all (unless they had a vision). Just some people who would be willing to take the time to show someone newer or wanting to expand their skill set the ways.

I'd be in for the Connecticut area if anyone wants help!

Excellent!  

At this point, we've got...

- medic001918 in CT (As a RI native, I know that geographic region isn't very large.)  ;)

- Norton is central CO

Who else is in?!?

Like Daryl, I host clinics whenever car clubs ask. Also, when a novice buys a polisher I spend some time with them making sure they're comfortable and understand how to use it. Location is one of the hardest things, at my house I keep it small, finding a place to hold larger ones is an issue. The issue of liability always is a concern too. I'm close to generating a Release of Liability form for these things. (knocking wood) I have never had an issue, but things can always happen.

Bruce

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Lots of excellent ideas and explanations as far as logistics. Rich and Robert nailed it in that Adam's tries to hold several detail clinics throughout the year in various locations, but it can be difficult to coordinate things and still keep the day-to-day business operations running as well. 

I'm in the Southwest PA region and would always be happy to help organize something informal somewhere in the area, either at my garage or some place else for a few people to hang out and learn, but it would be unofficial. I've had a few local forum members stop by over the last year or so on weekends, and I usually put them to work helping to clean my cars ;)

... I've had a few local forum members stop by over the last year or so on weekends, and I usually put them to work helping to clean my cars ;)

OK...let me get both cars, snowmobiles, the ATV, personal watercraft, off-shore boat, travel trailer, and enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer lined up in my driveway and we can have a Mentor Session!  :D

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Lots of excellent ideas and explanations as far as logistics. Rich and Robert nailed it in that Adam's tries to hold several detail clinics throughout the year in various locations, but it can be difficult to coordinate things and still keep the day-to-day business operations running as well. 

I'm in the Southwest PA region and would always be happy to help organize something informal somewhere in the area, either at my garage or some place else for a few people to hang out and learn, but it would be unofficial. I've had a few local forum members stop by over the last year or so on weekends, and I usually put them to work helping to clean my cars ;)

Count me in if you do come up with something! I live in Central PA and would gladly make the trip out there.