Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need some ideas please.

Ls1transam

Question

I was asked to detail a 2011 GT500. He wants the outside and engine bay done. I've got the outside covered. I'm wondering about the engine bay. I've washed a lot of engine bays but never on a car like this. I don't think he's wanting me to use a water hose in the engine bay. The bay isn't that dirty anyway but could use some TLC. Any ideas or suggestions??

18 answers to this question

Might I ask why no water in the engine bay? I haven't worked on a GT500 but engine bays are generally designed with the ability to get wet. I wouldn't use a pressure washer or anything, but a little water will most likely help the task along.

A little APC, a soft brush, some water and then dress in VRT.

An alternative would be a steamer.

You can clean stock engine bays, you will need to cover up an aftermarket air filter and exposed electrical. Once you are done with that, lightly rinse the engine bay off with water, then spray all purpose cleaner everywhere, and scrub with the wheel brush, lightly spray off the all purpose cleaner. If you want you can dry off with the sidekick blaster or a leaf blower.

Remove the plastic bags that you put over exposed electrical or an aftermarket air filter.

If you want to dress it up use VRT and in and out spray

Have any pictures of the engine bay? To me, It's level of dirt is what dictates how it's cleaned. I always try to wash a cold engine.

Light dirt, I'd waterless wash it.

Medium dirt, Rinseless or standard wash with hose

Heavy dirt, standard hose or distant pressure wash.

Basic precautions apply as mentioned in previous post.

Dress with VRT and In & Out spray.

Might I ask why no water in the engine bay? I haven't worked on a GT500 but engine bays are generally designed with the ability to get wet. I wouldn't use a pressure washer or anything, but a little water will most likely help the task along.

A little APC, a soft brush, some water and then dress in VRT.

An alternative would be a steamer.

He's just real finicky over it, I don't blame him. The engine is more dusty than anything. I don't think the car has ever seen rain except a couple times. That was only because he got caught out in the rain so.

You can clean stock engine bays, you will need to cover up an aftermarket air filter and exposed electrical. Once you are done with that, lightly rinse the engine bay off with water, then spray all purpose cleaner everywhere, and scrub with the wheel brush, lightly spray off the all purpose cleaner. If you want you can dry off with the sidekick blaster or a leaf blower.

Remove the plastic bags that you put over exposed electrical or an aftermarket air filter.

If you want to dress it up use VRT and in and out spray

That's pretty much what I do. Cover electrical stuff and open air filters. I never use a pressure washer on engine bays. I'm just wanting to be extra careful.

Have any pictures of the engine bay? To me, It's level of dirt is what dictates how it's cleaned. I always try to wash a cold engine.

Light dirt, I'd waterless wash it.

Medium dirt, Rinseless or standard wash with hose

Heavy dirt, standard hose or distant pressure wash.

Basic precautions apply as mentioned in previous post.

Dress with VRT and In & Out spray.

It's lightly dirty/dusty mainly. I always finish with VRT and In & Out spray. Love that stuff.

I like Rinselesss Wash at wash strength in a pump-up sprayer and lots of cheap MF towels for engine bays with lots of plastic covers.  Once clean, apply In & Out spray and/or VRT 'milk' (60% VRT to 40% distilled water) in a spray bottle, and more cheap MF towels to spread it around.

I did an engine bay today without using a hose. The way I went about it was to use a wash bucket with about 1 ounce of car shampoo for 2 gallons of warm soapy water. I sprayed in about 20 shots of APC into the soap bucket as well. Then, using a microfiber utility towel and a trim and lug nut brush I used the soapy water and a few sprays of APC on the towel or the brush to clean many of the dusty areas of the engine bay. I rung the towel out a bit so that water wasn't going everywhere too. With the brush, I'd shoot a few sprays into it after dipping it in the soapy water and then give it a shake or two to lessen the amount of water. I also went back to the bucket frequently to agitate the gunk off the brush or towel using the grit guard. And, I rung the towel out to almost dry a few times to go over the big areas to essentially dry them to an extent. Most just air dried though. Then I used VRT and In and Out. I think it turned out well. Maybe this method would work for you too and you could even throw in some Rinseless if you are doing any painted or metal areas.

Edited by Junior

I just washed my Hellcats engine bay. I covered the electrical components with plastic bags. I use as little water as possible. Afterwards I blow all the water out with a Master Blaster and warm the engine up. The alternative is using a steamer but I prefer washing it.

I've tried a steamer on mine and few other DD engine plastics. After I was done you couldn't tell I had even done anything.

It's possible that I didn't do it correctly but I had no luck with a steamer in engine bays up here.

I have the best luck with the APC, scrub brush and damp towel, along with the low pressure garden hose if needed.

I went and waxed it last night. I didn't know but the paint is so so rough. But my clay refill isn't here yet so I couldn't clay it. The engine bay isn't really dirty, it's barely dusty. The car only has 13k miles on it. It just needs wiped down with a damp MF towel I think.

Here is a newer post in the library too: 

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28890-ask-the-shine-doc-ep-11-engine-bay-detailing-what-to-cover/

Really good comparision of a stock, slightly modified and heavilly modified engine bay process.  Remember, these cars are designed to be driven in a torrential downpour.  Open the engine bay after a heavy rain and see how wet it all is.