Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tire & Rubber Cleaner vs APC on Tires

Texas Moe

Question

I've noticed since switching to T&RC that I've had to go over some tires a 2nd or 3rd time to completely remove oxidation and blooming.  I never had to do this with APC but I have to do this on approximately 30%-40% of the tires I clean now.  So I was wondering if the APC is stronger than T&RC, or maybe the T&RC is stronger and so is removing more stuff off the tires.

This is more of a question out of curiosity because I'll continue to use the T&RC.  I really love how it prepares the rubber and trim to receive whatever dressing or treatment I apply afterwards.

2 answers to this question

In my own personal experience, especially when I had my Raptor and my tires were always muddy, APC couldn't even come close to cleansing them. Tire and Rubber Cleaner can sometimes take a few passes, but always gets the job done.

I don't know the exact chemical breakdown between APC and T&RC, but I would venture to say APC was never specifically for rubber cleaning as I could never get a clean tire with it to save my life, but it was all Adam's had to offer at the time. 

:iagree:

I don't know if one is "stronger" than the other. Rather, I think it's their intended purposes that make the difference.

I understand TRC was specifically designed to remove grease, browning/blooming, etc., on rubber (and plastic). APC, on the other hand, is more of a degreaser for multi-use. The latter will work, and many on here used it (still?) for years until TRC was released last year, but in my experience, TRC is much more effective to get the tires clean/deep black.

As you may know, the amount of blooming is caused by the levels of anti-ozonant in the tires. Therefore, some tires brown faster than others. It can certainly take more than a single pass with TRC to get them clean/deep black, but the effort is worth it. Keep applying until the foam is white, and you're all set.

One final question - are you using the tire brush? If not, get one. It might help you get the tires cleaner on the first/earlier pass. I recently bought one and...wow!...the amount of foam it creates is awesome.

Edited by falcaineer