Customer Service 866.965.0400

A couple of questions

JohnnyDev

Question

I am thinking very hard about buying the Adam's 15mm swirl killer and the mini. My questions are -

Is the heavy correcting compound only recommended for paint that's downright BAD? My 2013 black Ram 1500 does have some swirls in it, mainly from me being not very smart in washing and drying techniques after I first purchased it, but I wouldn't say it's BAD. Would the medium correcting polish, then the finishing polish be the better way to go? Or maybe I should just buy this?http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/paint-correcting-paint-finishing-polish-combo.html

Also, how many pads and towels would I need to do a correction/polish job on a vehicle the size of a Ram? Basically, I would like someone to point me in the right direction ;)

And are these machines novice friendly?

Edited by JohnnyDev

5 answers to this question

You're right. The heavy compound makes quicker work of heavy damage. I've also found it useful for particularly hard clear coats. You can probably get away with correcting polish and finishing polish. It is nice having all the options though. And you may only find some spots that need the heavy compound. It's not unusual for me to use correcting polish and finishing, but find a spot or two I want to really go after with compound.

As for towels, you can never ever have enough. They get dirty. They get loaded with residue. I'd just buy a dozen single or double softs and live happy. If that's not practical, plan at least one to two towels for each step of correction.

As for pads...same theory. You can never have too many. But I'd suggest at least two sets for each step except heavy compound if you don't plan on doing the whole truck with it.

I think Shane gave you some pretty good advice. Make sure you pick up a pad brush too. Those are crucial to keeping buildup out of the pads as you correct. I don't actually own either of those machines, but they are pretty much designed to offer similar performance and lower vibration operation like the Rupes. So yes they will be very novice and user friendly. There are several really good videos in the Forum and if you check out Adams on YouTube that will pretty much give you insight into how to polish with these products. If you have never polished before, I would give you this advice:

1) Make sure you strip wash the vehicle and clay the surface (assuming it is rough) to prep it before you polish.

2) Use a few drops of the Polish on foam pads to start on the first section and as you go, you can use less, but reactivate it with DS. Spread the Polish across the panel some before you even hit the trigger on your polisher.

3) Don't put too much pressure on the polisher. Use really just the natural weight of your arm. As I understand it, these polishers really don't need a lot of pressure. They need to be level on the surface but pretty much do all the work for you.

4) Slow arm movements are better. Don't wip the polisher back and forth. Move slow and steady across the section (2' x 2') in a side to side and up and down pattern.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Oh yeah and this s probably something you already know, but do a section with the least aggresive method first. I have done just the finishing polish on my car where it had minor swirls and it came out excellent. Use what you do on the first section to get it where you want it to determine what you do on the remaining sections. Hope that makes sense. Nothing would be worse than doing the whole vehicle with one or two steps to realize you needed to add an additional one. Then you gotta go section by section all over again.

i used the new Swirl Killer snd Heavy Correcting Compound on my 2014 Jeep GC which has always been washed but never corrected or full detail.  WOW what a difference.  The grey color now looks wet and the silver flake now pops.  I was concerned about using the HCC since the Jeep was not in bad shape but since it was never corrected I gave it a try.  I did the correct thing.  Thanks Adams for all the help.

I am thinking very hard about buying the Adam's 15mm swirl killer and the mini. My questions are -

Is the heavy correcting compound only recommended for paint that's downright BAD? My 2013 black Ram 1500 does have some swirls in it, mainly from me being not very smart in washing and drying techniques after I first purchased it, but I wouldn't say it's BAD. Would the medium correcting polish, then the finishing polish be the better way to go? Or maybe I should just buy this?http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/paint-correcting-paint-finishing-polish-combo.html

Also, how many pads and towels would I need to do a correction/polish job on a vehicle the size of a Ram? Basically, I would like someone to point me in the right direction ;)

And are these machines novice friendly?

I think buying  the combo would be a smart move that way you would have the HCC if you need it......and as far as pads & MF towels it's nice if you can have a least two of each. Remember do a 2x2 test spot so you will know what it's going to take to make your paint perfect.