Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why Not Just Grab the QD?

galaxy

Question

So I'm fairly new here and spend a bunch of time roaming through threads learning a lot. Not new to detailing, but fairly new to Adam's in the past year or so. So as an observation, It seems I run across A LOT of threads and posts discussing experimenting with rinseless mixtures to do all sorts of different jobs. The washing and the presoaking I get, but I see enough comments to attract my attention on experimenting with clay lube, QD, waterless, and a few other jobs. Why?? Why not just grab the real QD? Do you guys find the QD inadequate for some of these jobs? Is it a cost thing? Just curious. I haven't tried QD as a clay lube yet, but it's hands down the best QD I've ever used. Probably like most of you, I have my staples but don't mind experimenting and trying different products. Except QD's. For years and years, Mother's was my staple QD; I always ended up back there...until Adam's. So this has just made me curious, that's all. Thanks guys.

6 answers to this question

RW is used many ways because it is SO versatile. For example, I wouldn't say RW is necessarily "better" than QD but it does make for a better wash solution. So the dirier the vehicle, the more likely I'll use diluted RW than QD. Compared to WW, RW diluted say 16:1 to make a waterless solution is definitely less costly. 

It's all just up to the individual. You will see people who look at cost and that's the main reason they use RW diluted and others who say the DS works perfectly for them so they really like the RTU ability it gives. Hell you can even use Adams CS. There are a ton of methods it's just down to user pref. I primarily use the detail spray but I have used a foamy mitt with CS soaked in it.

If my vehicle is dirty enough for detail spray, it's dirty enough to wash. I prefer a 2.1 bucket method (2 buckets for washing, 1 bucket for wheels), but my go-to quick method is Rinseless Wash.

Finding new and creative applications for chemicals is what Adam's is about. The latest one is using Brilliant Glaze to clean the interior windows. Or diluting VRT to use as an engine bay detailer. Or mixing Total Interior Detailer with VRT for a shine that's between the matte finish of TID and the slightly glossy finish of VRT.

Why experiment? Why not !?!

I used the ceramic coating on my car, since then I just use that waterless wash spray.  The ceramic coat sheds the water so well I don't want to cover it with any other product with wax.  Prior to the ceramic coat (and on the other family car) I do use the quick detail spray much more often.

For a lot of veteran detailers / enthusiasts, QD has been the go to "all purpose" product.   It's great for a lot of tasks.   I know I've bought the stuff by the gallon, I've used so much of it.

Now, with modern rinse less or waterless wash products, QD can be use in more limited applications.    The wash products are taking the place of QD.   The wash products do the same thing as QD, but do not leave a shine, or a slickness, or even a scent.  It just gets the area clean, which is what most detailers want.

Example:   I washed my car a couple of days ago.    Used a QD as a drying agent & shine booster.   It rained a little bit yesterday so my car now has light water spots all over it.   I could bust out the QD and do the whole car, but instead I'll use Adams Waterless Wash and a couple of MF towels.   Should take me about 10-15 mins to get the car looking great again.  

Could I use a QD?  Sure, I've done this exact task 1,000 times with it.   But now I have a product that is specifically made to do this job; quickly clean a slightly dirty car.    

I'll leave the QD for "quick detailing" and shine enhancement.   The "quick cleaning" can be done with no rinse or no wash product now.

Edited by BretFraz