Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl Killer vs. Rupes 15 LT

slalom38

Question

So I'm down to deciding between the Rupes and the SK.  The polisher will only be used 5-6 times a year, for correcting and some LPS applications.  Is the extra money for the Rupes a good investment, or total overkill for the usage?

I want a durable machine, and the "China" origin has me a bit spooked.  Adams has such a good reputation on their product quality that I tend to believe they wouldn't ship a substandard product in terms of durability, but I want to be sure.  For any of you that have used both, is there a tangible difference in the"feel" of the 2?

Thanks for the feedback.

15 answers to this question

The better value for the dollar is the SK. The Rupes are great machines, and it's all I use (plus a cyclo which is part of Rupes).

For a handful of uses a year, I'd go with the SK combo with the mini. The pair will cost right around what I paid for my Rupes 15 MKII.

So I'm down to deciding between the Rupes and the SK.  The polisher will only be used 5-6 times a year, for correcting and some LPS applications.  Is the extra money for the Rupes a good investment, or total overkill for the usage?

I want a durable machine, and the "China" origin has me a bit spooked.  Adams has such a good reputation on their product quality that I tend to believe they wouldn't ship a substandard product in terms of durability, but I want to be sure.  For any of you that have used both, is there a tangible difference in the"feel" of the 2?

Thanks for the feedback.

I would have no qualms at all about recommending the SK. Adam's guarantee has you covered. Your thread title mentions Rupes LT and not the MkII. The SK is going to outperform the Rupes LT, though build quality will be slightly higher on the Rupes.

You can't go wrong with either machine, but your best value will be the SK.

I have a Rupes 15mm Mark 2 and I can't say enough good things about it. I love this thing. Basically no vibration, smooth operation and flat out corrects some paint! However, I bought this way before Adams came out with their polishers. For the money, and for what you will be doing. I'd go with the Swirl Killer. I'm sure it's an awesome machine too. Adams doesn't sell junk.

Thanks for the feedback.

Both machines will give you excellent results. The Rupes Mk II is at the top of the list in terms of long-throw machine polishers - they're the originators of the technology and it's one of the most well-regarded polishers in the industry - it has more grunt at speed 5 and 6 and slightly less vibration than the Swirl Killer in my personal opinion. Decibel level during operation is very similar between the machines, but the tone differs between the two (neither tone is better than the other to me).

The Rupes 15 Mk II is professional tool with a price that is fitting to its craftsmanship and functionality. Having said that, I've been using an Adam's Swirl Killer prototype for almost a year now, using it over and over and over on many vehicles with zero issues, awesome results, and great reliability. A few other testers use them on a daily basis at dealerships and detail shops in a few parts of the country - it's a dependable machine that will keep on going. The country of origin should not be a concern in my opinion. It's smooth and comfortable, and provides excellent results at a friendly price point. The 25-foot long cord is an added benefit that I didn't think would make a huge difference, but it is convenient to stop worrying about multiple extension cords around vehicle during a detail.

You can't go wrong with either machine :)

I also have the Rupes 15mm Mark II, and I'm obsessed.  Simple as that.  The weight, grip, the speed in which it corrects with Adam's pad's and polishes is impressive if you know what your'e doing.  That being said, if you're only going to be using this as a light hobby, i'd without a doubt seriously consider the Swirl Killer.  5-6 times tops a year will net you great results from the Swirl Killer.  If its something that turns almost into a side job (like me), then a Rupes Mark II is king.  You also have to consider buying the correct polishes and pads for the job.  Each vehicle will require something different.  Adams doesn't sell crap, so the Swirl Killer and the new Mini are going to be great options to get your foot in the door, and to do what we love to do, detail.  

I do some testing for Adam, as well as work the Carlisle, PA events for him. I have all of his machines; some I've bought myself, some I've been given to test. I use them to detail my own vehicles and others, at home and at shows.

I have both the Rupes 15 Mark II and the Swirl Killer. The Rupes is great, read what Dan states about it above, I'd say the exact same things about it. But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Swirl Killer. If you do a search here you'll find folks that were destroying pads with the Mark II when it first came out. It appeared they were running the machine at full speed; 5-6 is too much, except for very short periods of time. The Swirl Killer isn't quite as powerful and can be run on high without damaging the pads through the entire polishing process.

At Carlisle Events it's pretty darn hard to try and make a machine sale to someone just starting out with a $400 price point start, then add in pads and polishes and they've left. The starting price point for the Swirl Killer seems much easier for someone to swallow. It's easier for us to put kits together to give decent discounts.

Originally I though the Swirl Killer would be for the weekend warrior who does just a few vehicles per year, while the Rupes would be for the serious detailer who uses the machine day in and day out, and knew the value of the top of the industry work horse.

Adam sent me several of the prototype machines during the beginning stages of testing. I was to get them out into the hands of those that would be using them daily to really put them through their paces. One of the machines is currently at a Toyota dealership in their vehicle prep area. It's been there since April of 2016. The dealership uses Porter Cable 7424XP's. They will get roughly one year of service out of the machines. I had dinner with the individual I'd gotten the Swirl Killer to last Saturday. We talked about the machines. He said the Swirl Killer is the machine of preference to all those in the shop, and it is on 8 hours a day 5 to 6 days per week. Right now the Porter Cables the dealership purchased last year have begun to fail, the Swirl Killer is showing no signs of slowing down.

The Rupes is a bit overkill for me. But the Swirl Killer wasn't out so I bought the 15mm Mark 2. Now that I have it, I won't part with it. But to do over with both machines sitting side by side, id go with the Swirl Killer. I have noticed on one of my pads from Adam's the Velcro backing is starting to delegate from the pad. Time for that pad to be thrown away I guess.

The Rupes is a bit overkill for me. But the Swirl Killer wasn't out so I bought the 15mm Mark 2. Now that I have it, I won't part with it. But to do over with both machines sitting side by side, id go with the Swirl Killer. I have noticed on one of my pads from Adam's the Velcro backing is starting to delegate from the pad. Time for that pad to be thrown away I guess.

I've had that happen with a pad or two on the 15 mk2 as well. Adam's made it right as they always do but from what I have read, it could be due to being at too high of a speed for too long. I try to keep it to speeds 3-4 now unless it's something small that's stubborn. There has been times where the pads are real hot and seem to lose their firmness by the end of a panel.

Edited by SumBeach35

I've had that happen with a pad or two on the 15 mk2 as well. Adam's made it right as they always do but from what I have read, it could be due to being at too high of a speed for too long. I try to keep it to speeds 3-4 now unless it's something small that's stubborn. There has been times where the pads are real hot and seem to lose their firmness by the end of a panel.

I've used this pad a lot. Plus I use to use my polisher at speed 5 before I learned 4 was all you really needed.

It'll work fine for any color paint. Most of the correcting has to do with pads and polishes/compounds more so than machine. The Rupes will turn a little faster, but that higher speed is seldom used. And even if it were, the SK would work fine...you just might have to take an extra pass or two.

If you're not using your tools all the time, the SK is more than adequate. Even if you are, I'm sure they'll hold up fine. Not to mention they're not much more than half the cost of a Rupes. I love my Rupes, but could have saved big money had these been out when I purchased.

Does the SK have good paint correction on black cars, because I was looking into the exact same two machines and I want to make sure that it'll do a good job on black paint. It's a Dodge if that makes any difference. Anyone have any experience?

Even the Porter Cable along with Adams paint correction products will do amazing things to your Black Dodge as it did to my black Ram. The SK is even better than the Porter Cable! No risk...

My 2012 Black Ram was a mess when I bought it. Tons of swirls from auto car washes and carelessness. 6 hrs with Adams products made it look absolutely amazing. Biggest thing is, take your time. Don't be rushed. One panel at a time.

It'll work fine for any color paint. Most of the correcting has to do with pads and polishes/compounds more so than machine. The Rupes will turn a little faster, but that higher speed is seldom used. And even if it were, the SK would work fine...you just might have to take an extra pass or two.

If you're not using your tools all the time, the SK is more than adequate. Even if you are, I'm sure they'll hold up fine. Not to mention they're not much more than half the cost of a Rupes. I love my Rupes, but could have saved big money had these been out when I purchased.

Amen to that. Adam's SK and mini SK together cost less than my Rupes 15 MK2. I could have saved some money. But now that I have my Rupes, I'll never part ways with it.

I do some testing for Adam, as well as work the Carlisle, PA events for him. I have all of his machines; some I've bought myself, some I've been given to test. I use them to detail my own vehicles and others, at home and at shows.

I have both the Rupes 15 Mark II and the Swirl Killer. The Rupes is great, read what Dan states about it above, I'd say the exact same things about it. But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Swirl Killer. If you do a search here you'll find folks that were destroying pads with the Mark II when it first came out. It appeared they were running the machine at full speed; 5-6 is too much, except for very short periods of time. The Swirl Killer isn't quite as powerful and can be run on high without damaging the pads through the entire polishing process.

At Carlisle Events it's pretty darn hard to try and make a machine sale to someone just starting out with a $400 price point start, then add in pads and polishes and they've left. The starting price point for the Swirl Killer seems much easier for someone to swallow. It's easier for us to put kits together to give decent discounts.

Originally I though the Swirl Killer would be for the weekend warrior who does just a few vehicles per year, while the Rupes would be for the serious detailer who uses the machine day in and day out, and knew the value of the top of the industry work horse.

Adam sent me several of the prototype machines during the beginning stages of testing. I was to get them out into the hands of those that would be using them daily to really put them through their paces. One of the machines is currently at a Toyota dealership in their vehicle prep area. It's been there since April of 2016. The dealership uses Porter Cable 7424XP's. They will get roughly one year of service out of the machines. I had dinner with the individual I'd gotten the Swirl Killer to last Saturday. We talked about the machines. He said the Swirl Killer is the machine of preference to all those in the shop, and it is on 8 hours a day 5 to 6 days per week. Right now the Porter Cables the dealership purchased last year have begun to fail, the Swirl Killer is showing no signs of slowing down.

I just received the SK. I'm not going to be dong anything for a few weeks, but I will say that the overall feeling of quality is undeniable. It has a high quality "heft " to it, and feels and appears to be very well made. Can't wait to rip into a correction. It's been a tough winter, and I had my car under a brightly lit gas station canopy the other night, and was horrified by the "dirt rub" swirls and scratches. Bummed me out.