Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Paste Wax versus the Competitors

mathews31

Question

This is my first time posting a new topic so please be easy, also if there is another thread that already has this topic I'd be grateful for a redirect. So I started detailing my own car about a year ago when I came upon Adam's Polishes. I was just using some minor tools, like clay and microfiber towels and so recently I pulled the trigger on the Americana Paste wax and a few other goodies. Now because I live in NY I haven't gotten a chance to put them to a full test, but I figured I'd try to at least do a comparison between Americana Paste Wax and a Meguiar's Wax that I saw at a local store. After I finished I found it hard to tell the difference. Below I've detailed what I did. Any tips, expert or novice are welcome.

Keep in mind I have not washed the car since November so that probably played a part, I also did not paint correct because I don't have a machine.

Step 1: Cleaned the area with Mother's Showtime spray (that was all I could think to use, couldn't use water because of restrictions)

Step 2: Clayed the two spots with the same clay bar and wiped with a microfiber towel.

Step 3: Applied Adam's Americana Paste Wax as directed on the container. I left it on for about 5 or 10 minutes and then wiped it off.

Step 4: Apply the Meguiar's Wax in a similar fashion and then wiped off after 10 minutes.

DONE

This was done in my garage in a NY winter.

After feeling both areas and looking at the way they look, I don't really see a difference. Any advice is appreciated...I'm hoping I didn't get jipped for $50 on Americana Paste Wax especially considering I really like Adam's Products

Thanks. 

But if you're using based on your mood was it really worth the $50 price jump

Well, yes.  Americana is great and I use it a lot more than the Patriot. But the Patriot is the better of the two.  It's made from the best pure Carnuba wax.  The better the Carnuba, the better the shine and protection.  I'm extremely happy with both waxes.  The Americana I use mostly on my daily driver, but the Patriot goes on the Vette.  You'll get the best shine and protection from the Patroit, but don't discount the Americana.  The Patriot is worth the price difference when you want the best.  And a little goes a long way.  

The Patriot Wax actually doesn't seem to last as long as Americana, which is why I use it more so on the garage queen. The Patriot Wax will provide a little more depth than Americana (which is more or less visible on some colors). That depth is exactly what I want on my garage queen.

Are you using the "New" or previous version of Patriot"?

Edited by LT1xL82

Well, yes. Americana is great and I use it a lot more than the Patriot. But the Patriot is the better of the two. It's made from the best pure Carnuba wax. The better the Carnuba, the better the shine and protection. I'm extremely happy with both waxes. The Americana I use mostly on my daily driver, but the Patriot goes on the Vette. You'll get the best shine and protection from the Patroit, but don't discount the Americana. The Patriot is worth the price difference when you want the best. And a little goes a long way.

But like the point of the wax is protection and shine if itt goes on a garage queen and doesn't last then I don't think I'd be sold. I wish they had a trial size.

Are you using the "New" or previous version of Patriot"?

I forgot that aspect. I'm still working with the old Patriot until I finish off my tin. Then I'll try the new one. My garage queen waxing is cut down though since I did the coatings on the garage queen. I still find vehicles to use the Patriot on though as they come through.

Edited by medic001918

I use both Americana and a competitor, Pinnacle Souveran. Americana is easy on, easy off, provides a good durable shine, and that silky smooth feel. I would say that it's a less deep shine than Pinnacle and I actually prefer Pinnacle on dark colors. The disadvantage with Pinnacle is it seems to attract dust whereas Americana attracts less dust.

Pinnacle Souveran has a very unanimous reputation of horrible durability. I think most would consider that a great was for a show car/garage queen. Good to know that the Patriot has the bit of ceramic in it which should significantly boost durability (from what I know) which makes it a great real world option. I also really like the comment about less dust attraction. Would that be attributed to the silica content of the Patriot as well?

Some days I can't imagine a coating and not waxing anymore, lol. For the most part, this single item is what's kept me from going coating.

Edited by galaxy

Pinnacle Souveran has a very unanimous reputation of horrible durability. I think most would consider that a great was for a show car/garage queen. Good to know that the Patriot has the bit of ceramic in it which should significantly boost durability (from what I know) which makes it a great real world option. I also really like the comment about less dust attraction. Would that be attributed to the silica content of the Patriot as well?

Some days I can't imagine a coating and not waxing anymore, lol. For the most part, this single item is what's kept me from going coating.

My thing is that because I haven't paint corrected my paint, I feel that I have been avoiding using a coating, and therefore use the wax. Less dust is also a major aspect in that I've seen a good amount of dust collecting on my car after using Americana...not a lot but enough to get me wiping with my finger.

My car fully detailed topped with older version of Patriot. Have the new one now, can't wait to try.

Has such depth to it and easy to work with. 

Thats an awesome car, but I feel like everyone says it adds a depth but I just can't seem to see that much depth difference...maybe they have to be next to one another in person.

Thats an awesome car, but I feel like everyone says it adds a depth but I just can't seem to see that much depth difference...maybe they have to be next to one another in person.

I think you would be more pleased with the results if you would invest in a polisher and do some paint correction. Even a cheaper porter cable can do some decent correction with the right pads and polishes.

I think you would be more pleased with the results if you would invest in a polisher and do some paint correction. Even a cheaper porter cable can do some decent correction with the right pads and polishes.

I've been really in the market for one but my biggest thing is if I'm going to spend even $200 on a SK for example, why not upgrade to a Rupes 15 Mark II, I also don't know because I've heard black paint can be hard to paint correct...For sure I would probably be surprised by the difference paint correction and a proper coat of wax would do 

Paint correction will absolutely make a wax look and perform better, since you're removing all or most of the flaws from the finish. Putting wax on a swirled black surface is still going to be a swirled black surface afterward - but some of those swirls might be a little less noticeable since some waxes have fillers in them. 

Swirl marks and scratches, especially on a dark color like black, reflect light in all sorts of directions and cause the paint to look cloudy and dull, with no real depth and reduced shine. 

Some people may say black paint can be hard to correct from a bad experience. For example, a lot of body shops still use rotary buffers rather than random orbital polishers like the Rupes or the Swirl Killer, and rotary buffers require a lot of skill to not leave buffer trails and holograms all over the vehicle. These improper polishing techniques will stand out a lot worse on a dark colored vehicle. Some cars can have a very hard clear coat that requires more effort to machine polish than a car with a softer clear coat, for example a C5 Corvette vs. a new C7 Corvette...C7's are much easier to correct for me personally. In other words, color of the vehicle doesn't really matter if you have the right tools for the job.

This is still one of the most drastic before and afters I've done on a black vehicle (or any vehicle really), using a Rupes 15 Mk I, which the Swirl Killer is equivalent to in terms of results that can be achieved, in my opinion. The Mk II would have corrected it faster no doubt with its increased power, but this was after a 2 stage polish with our old Orange Microfiber Cutting Pad and our orange Correcting Polish, then our White Foam Pad with Finishing Polish. No wax applied yet at this point.

Before:

11200794_10108589288139604_9034418858714

After:

10924700_10108589288683514_6616389328961

Once a surface is paint-corrected, I can definitely tell some level of difference with various waxes and sealants. Again to my eye some waxes will make metallic paints sparkle more, some sealants seem to give more reflection and shine, and some waxes seem to have a deeper wet look to the finish.

My point in all of this rambling is that there are many factors involved when comparing one wax to another - how it makes the paint look is just one of those factors :) Longevity per use, ease of application and removal, level of water beading, smoothness of the surface, cost per use, etc all factor in for me when I'm explaining to someone and helping them choose the right product for their vehicle.  

Paint correction will absolutely make a wax look and perform better, since you're removing all or most of the flaws from the finish. Putting wax on a swirled black surface is still going to be a swirled black surface afterward - but some of those swirls might be a little less noticeable since some waxes have fillers in them. 

Swirl marks and scratches, especially on a dark color like black, reflect light in all sorts of directions and cause the paint to look cloudy and dull, with no real depth and reduced shine. 

Some people may say black paint can be hard to correct from a bad experience. For example, a lot of body shops still use rotary buffers rather than random orbital polishers like the Rupes or the Swirl Killer, and rotary buffers require a lot of skill to not leave buffer trails and holograms all over the vehicle. These improper polishing techniques will stand out a lot worse on a dark colored vehicle. Some cars can have a very hard clear coat that requires more effort to machine polish than a car with a softer clear coat, for example a C5 Corvette vs. a new C7 Corvette...C7's are much easier to correct for me personally. In other words, color of the vehicle doesn't really matter if you have the right tools for the job.

This is still one of the most drastic before and afters I've done on a black vehicle (or any vehicle really), using a Rupes 15 Mk I, which the Swirl Killer is equivalent to in terms of results that can be achieved, in my opinion. The Mk II would have corrected it faster no doubt with its increased power, but this was after a 2 stage polish with our old Orange Microfiber Cutting Pad and our orange Correcting Polish, then our White Foam Pad with Finishing Polish. No wax applied yet at this point.

Before:

11200794_10108589288139604_9034418858714

After:

10924700_10108589288683514_6616389328961

Once a surface is paint corrected, I can definitely some level of difference with various waxes and sealants. Again to my eye some waxes will make metallic paints sparkle more, some sealants seem to give more reflection and shine, and some waxes seem to have a deeper wet look to the finish.

My point in all of this rambling is that there are many factors involved when comparing one wax to another - how it makes the paint look is just one of those factors :) Longevity per use, ease of application and removal, level of water beading, smoothness of the surface, cost per use, etc all factor in for me when I'm explaining to someone and helping them choose the right product for their vehicle.  

I'm not going to lie, I've been waiting to get a reply from you, but one thing is missing that I still can't get past. You seem to have detailed a lot of cars, and the one that you showed me above was great but, I wish you or anyone could show me a black car paint corrected with a SK, because I feel like that would really put it in perspective and make getting a SK more comfortable, because at this point, even what you just showed me it seems like its almost more worth it to go for a Rupes 15 MK1 rather than a SK

I appreciate all the advice for sure. :rolleyes:

You can get any machine you want. But if you don't have the technique and experience it doesn't matter what you have. A person with the experience and know how could take the PC 7424xp and get almost the same results as a Rupes 15 MK2 or the Rupes 21. It would take much longer but it could be done. If you don't know what the PC7424xp is then research it and read some reviews. Adam's site sells it there. It's at the bottom of the entry level polisher barrel. Experience trumps all just about. Unless you're going to be correcting a lot of paint for say, a business. The SK would be just fine for a weekend warrior. If the SK was available when I bought my Rupes, I would have bought the SK. You can get the SK and mini SK together for the same price as I paid for my Rupes MK2. Just my opinion

And it doesn't matter what color. The SK will correct it, the polisher is only as good as the hands pulling the trigger. Again, I have a Rupes 15mm MK2 and I had to do a 2 step correction on my mothers black Avalanche. Using the Orange foam pad and correction polish left a slight haze. So I had to finish with the white pad and polish. I corrected another car that was also black with my Rupes. I was able to do a one step correction with the orange pad and correction polish. It came out flawless and perfect with a one step. That just goes to show just because it's black doesn't mean all black paints are going to be the same. That's why we do test sections to find the best and least aggressive method to correct paint.

I hope I'm in the right Forum area......Question, How may layers of Adam's Americana Wax can you apply before a dulling effect kicks in from too much wax?  The reason I ask is that there is a 3rd party vendor who's advertising they're past wax (for the same price) that you can layer all you want.

****37 Trademark Carnauba Paste Wax contains a purified carnauba with clear, reflective polymers that allow you to layer it as many times as desired to achieve the look you want. 

I read some where within this forum and/or one of Adam's videos that  if you layer too much wax, it will start to dull the shine. Is this the case with Adam's Americana Wax?

Edited by Geebee

I hope I'm in the right Forum area......Question, How may layers of Adam's Americana Wax can you apply before a dulling effect kicks in from too much wax?  The reason I ask is that there is a 3rd party vendor who's advertising they're past wax (for the same price) that you can layer all you want.

****37 Trademark Carnauba Paste Wax contains a purified carnauba with clear, reflective polymers that allow you to layer it as many times as desired to achieve the look you want. 

I read some where within this forum that  if you layer too much wax, it will start to dull the shine. Is this the case with Adam's Americana Wax?

I've never read that if you apply to much wax it starts to lose shine, but why would you want to apply that much wax, wouldn't it be better to apply a ceramic coating if your looking for protection...Then again I'm still a newbie. Also why would a company complain about you applying too many layers, technically you're using more product and spending more money?