Customer Service 866.965.0400

Post Wash Brake Disc Rust...Technique??

galaxy

Question

So I know you guys have detailed cars that have brake rotors with a high iron content...they flash rust almost instantly with contact with any amount of water.  After you finish your detail job, that first drive is gonna knock all that greenish reddish dust off the rotors and all over the wheels.  And you can tell that's exactly what it is by the color.

So what do you guys do as a technique to combat this...cause it's one of my worst pet peeves ever.  So far in life, I just go for a short drive around the neighborhood once I'm all finished and drag the brakes a little bit.  Then I just go back in the house and dust the wheels off to finish that off.  Can't imagine what else would work.  So how do you guys cope?  Cause I'm sure as heck not leaving it on there.

13 answers to this question

"I just go for a short drive around the neighborhood"

Yes, this.  You have an amazingly clean and shiny car, unlike anything your neighbors have seen (since the last time you did this).  Turn that dial to 'Track', drive around in 1st gear and 'clean your brakes'.

;)

or try to spray off the water as suggested above, which seems like less fun.

My Vette brakes do this every wash.  My solution is to back up and down the driveway about a half dozen times. Clears it off.  

Yup!  OK...sounds like I'll keep doing what I've been doing...that!  LOL.

Oh...Never complained about it sticking.  it wipes right off with zero effort...but it has to be wiped off.  So I guess it depends on your definition of sticking?!  Wheels are meticulous and treated; trust me...but it's not just gonna blow off with speed.

There are products that are no touch that will absolutely remove the rust from the rotors.  I use them.  They work.  I am not familiar enough to know if Adam's has a product that is no touch wheel cleaner.  I get a professional product from a major distributor that works.  Forum rules probably prevent me from identifying it.

I just pull the car away from the garage to get one circumferential "wipe" with the brake pads before pulling into the garage after a wash. This greatly reduces the initial dust-out during the first drive.

As others have mentioned, I do a quick forward and back a few times to knock off any small rust buildup on the rotor, then immediately use the Sidekick to try to blow any of that fine surface rust off of the barrel of the wheel.

I also use the Sidekick immediately after rinsing off the wheel and brakes to dry them as quickly as possible in an attempt for as little rust as possible to form on the surface of the rotor.