Customer Service 866.965.0400

Quaker State Advanced Durability Conventional Oil + Super Tech Filter

jakerodz7

What is up Adam's forum:

I had a question about this combination of oil and filter for my next oil change.  I always used Castrol Edge with Titanium and k&n filter before I had my engine rebuilt. I know it was overkill so since the rebuild I have been changing the oil every 500ish miles for the first 2500 or so miles, then I will go back to the 3K mile mark.  

For my last 2 oil changes I have used Castrol GTX 5W-20.  I went to go get some last night at Walmart and could not find the 5W-20.  As I was looking at the other Conventional Oil options I saw the QS Conventional and was wondering if any of you had any experience with this oil? Should I give it a try or should I at least shoot for say Valvoline conventional? or wait on the Castrol GTX?  Also has any one heard anything about the Super Tech oil filter, it is 4 times cheaper than the k&n which is why I am interested in it if it works well enough for my 3K interval?

Thanks for your input! 

If your only running your oil for 500 miles almost any brand name should be ok. The filter is not where you want to cheep out! The filter is going to catch all the metal shavings and bearing material that is going to be in the Engine after a rebuild, and most wear occurring in the first couple hundred miles.

I've had good luck with Mobil 5000 and recently Mobil 1 oils. I always run AC Delco filters.

I usually go about 5K on an oil change, oil is much better than it used to be, so I feel 3K is too soon, especially with synthetic. If in doubt you could have a oil analysis done. But if you feel better about 3K oil changes it's cheep maintenance.

On the race toy we use Kendall racing oil and Wix racing filters, and both get changed after 8-10 nights of racing

Edited by neontrucks

I've always stuck with the list of approved oils the the vehicles manufacturer has published. One of those will meet their oil specifications and give you options. I've usually used Napa gold filters in my car's or the factory filter.

I don't have the resource any more but during filter testing I always heard bad results for filtering and pressure issues with the K&N related to when the filter allows oil to bypass the filter media. For information I would find a forum related the the vehicle or engine in your vehicle and see if anyone has done this research already. Also for an engine rebuild, I would follow the engine builders recommendations regarding break-in, oils weight and time frame.

If your only running your oil for 500 miles almost any brand name should be ok. The filter is not where you want to cheep out! The filter is going to catch all the metal shavings and bearing material that is going to be in the Engine after a rebuild, and most wear occurring in the first couple hundred miles.

I've had good luck with Mobil 5000 and recently Mobil 1 oils. I always run AC Delco filters.

I usually go about 5K on an oil change, oil is much better than it used to be, so I feel 3K is too soon, especially with synthetic. If in doubt you could have a oil analysis done. But if you feel better about 3K oil changes it's cheep maintenance.

On the race toy we use Kendall racing oil and Wix racing filters, and both get changed after 8-10 nights of racing

I've always stuck with the list of approved oils the the vehicles manufacturer has published. One of those will meet their oil specifications and give you options. I've usually used Napa gold filters in my car's or the factory filter.

I don't have the resource any more but during filter testing I always heard bad results for filtering and pressure issues with the K&N related to when the filter allows oil to bypass the filter media. For information I would find a forum related the the vehicle or engine in your vehicle and see if anyone has done this research already. Also for an engine rebuild, I would follow the engine builders recommendations regarding break-in, oils weight and time frame.

Thanks for your input guys I will go ahead and give the WIx/Napa Gold a whirl as well as the Quaker State!

Edited by jakerodz7

I'm all about using synthetic motor oils, Valvoline, Mobil one and Castro synthetic, with the prices being so low I wouldn't use anything else. I also believe in using brand new oil filters, some of the cheaper brands are used re manufactured oil filters, check the boxes labeling, it will state this. The old adage says you pay for what you get!

I'm all about using synthetic motor oils, Valvoline, Mobil one and Castro synthetic, with the prices being so low I wouldn't use anything else. I also believe in using brand new oil filters, some of the cheaper brands are used re manufactured oil filters, check the boxes labeling, it will state this. The old adage says you pay for what you get!

Reman oil filters? I've never heard of such a thing.

I'm a fan of Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and strictly use Motor raft filters....But I own two Ford's. Wiz has always been a go to brand of filter.

And I'll second the motion of not doing an oil change every 3k miles unless you really beat on it (I'm talking track/strip time). If your running a decent quality synthetic and filter, I'd say every 6-7.5k miles is a good interval. Blackstone labs will do a used oil analysis for about $20 if you really want to dial in your change intervals.

Without knowing what kind do of car this is, what engine it is or the reason for the rebuild and who did the rebuild. My advice is check with the engine builder before switching the oil type.

It is a 2008 scion tc, with a 2.4L AZ-FE straight 4. Rebuild was done my Toyota themselves. They advised I use the specified oil which is a 5W-20.

It is a 2008 scion tc, with a 2.4L AZ-FE straight 4. Rebuild was done my Toyota themselves. They advised I use the specified oil which is a 5W-20.

Probably a Scion reman engine, dealers usually won't rebuild it themselves. Just follow the new car break in, as in the owners manual, and then switch to your synthetic oil of choice.

When I install a factory reman or new engine that is what I recommend.

Just out of curiosity, why was the engine replaced?

Edited by neontrucks

Probably a Scion reman engine, dealers usually won't rebuild it themselves. Just follow the new car break in, as in the owners manual, and then switch to your synthetic oil of choice.

When I install a factory reman or new engine that is what I recommend.

Just out of curiosity, why was the engine replaced?

It was rebuilt because it had a factory issue with the seals on the pistons and a couple other components that caused excessive oil consumption. Then while they had it there I had them replace everything else that was worn or damaged since they had already had the engine "opened up".

It was rebuilt because it had a factory issue with the seals on the pistons and a couple other components that caused excessive oil consumption. Then while they had it there I had them replace everything else that was worn or damaged since they had already had the engine "opened up".

Oh I see. I stand corrected, I guess it was rebuilt by the dealer. I know Scion had trouble with a oil leak from the head gasket for awhile, can't remember which engine, been awhile since I've done one.

... Just follow the new car break in, as in the owners manual, and then switch to your synthetic oil of choice....

To keep this "forum related"...make sure to use CLEAN oil! :)

I just had a GM reman put in my Suburban...$ ouch! After start-up with "break-in oil", to my great surprise the oil was changed to synthetic before being returned to me.  (Also my new Corvette Z06 was delivered with synthetic.) I always thought synthetic was not the greatest break-in oil...so much for what I know!

Back to detailing stuff...always use a CLEAN filter!  :D

I just had a GM reman put in my Suburban...$ ouch! After start-up with "break-in oil", to my great surprise the oil was changed to synthetic before being returned to me. (Also my new Corvette Z06 was delivered with synthetic.) I always thought synthetic was not the greatest break-in oil...so much for what I know!

Back to detailing stuff...always use a CLEAN filter! :D

Yes the OEM's are very proud (PRICE $$$) or their parts. Break in oil is kind of the thing of the past, except for some performance applications. My new 2016 Silverado has 0W-20, which is mainly offered in synthetic only. GM has been using synthetic in certain Cadillacs and Corvette right from new for awhile now. Just look at Dexos is mainly offered in synthetic.

Keep your engine compartment CLEAN and use some super VRT!

Oh I see. I stand corrected, I guess it was rebuilt by the dealer. I know Scion had trouble with a oil leak from the head gasket for awhile, can't remember which engine, been awhile since I've done one.

I was worried for a second so I double checked and it was in fact rebuilt in house.  No worries, I don't blame you as I know what you said about not many dealers rebuilding engines in house to be true.  I don't recalled if the head gasket had an issue as well with the leaking.

P.s. since you say you use AC delco exclusively is there only one type of AC filter?  Or is it like FRAM which has the 3 "levels" types?

I just had a GM reman put in my Suburban...$ ouch! After start-up with "break-in oil", to my great surprise the oil was changed to synthetic before being returned to me.  (Also my new Corvette Z06 was delivered with synthetic.) I always thought synthetic was not the greatest break-in oil...so much for what I know!

Back to detailing stuff...always use a CLEAN filter!  :D

Are you suggesting that after my break in period I immediately switch over to synthetic?  I think I am leaning towards that since I don't drive much (about 350-500 miles a month) and this way I don't have to swap out the oil as often.  

I am happy to report that I opted away from the Supertech oil filter and got myself a wix instead.  I believe I will be going with mobil 1 after the break in period but for now I am more than happy with the wix.  

Are you suggesting that after my break in period I immediately switch over to synthetic?  I think I am leaning towards that since I don't drive much (about 350-500 miles a month) and this way I don't have to swap out the oil as often.  

Either conventional or synthetic..whichever your preference. I'm a bit old school and have not rushed to synthetic...I do whatever the manufacturer recommends. I use high quality, name brand fluids and filters and stay away from the hot setup dujour.

Many people have had really good luck with Wix.

Oh, don't forget to detail the dip stick! 

I think AC Delco only offers 1 grade of filter. The Wix is a way better choice than the Super Tech!!! It seems you have a very good maintenance schedule, so I wouldn't think you would have too many internal engine issues no matter what oil and filter you choose. IMO most failures are from lack of maintenance.

Edited by neontrucks

Either conventional or synthetic..whichever your preference. I'm a bit old school and have not rushed to synthetic...I do whatever the manufacturer recommends. I use high quality, name brand fluids and filters and stay away from the hot setup dujour.

Many people have had really good luck with Wix.

Oh, don't forget to detail the dip stick! 

Oh ok I see, well I will see what I decide after the break in period but i am leaning towards the synthetic deal. We shall see though lol. Definitely want to stick to quality once I do though. Thanks for your input.

I think AC Delco only offers 1 grade of filter. The Wix is a way better choice than the Super Tech!!! It seems you have a very good maintenance schedule, so I wouldn't think you would have too many internal engine issues no matter what oil and filter you choose. IMO most failures are from lack of maintenance.

I am thinking that will work for the family cars then since it is cheaper for their cars.  I plan on keeping that up religiously since I want to ensure the rebuild last a long time. Thank you for all the input I do really appreciate it. 

Oh ok I see, well I will see what I decide after the break in period but i am leaning towards the synthetic deal. We shall see though lol. Definitely want to stick to quality once I do though. Thanks for your input.

One more thing. Believe it or not, Walmart has about the best prices on oil that I've been able to find. Aside from Amazon, but that's assuming you're an Amazon Prime member. The Pennzoil Platinum I use is $29 from most parts stores and $22 from Walmart/Amazon for a five quart container.

Edited by DonJuan692006