Customer Service 866.965.0400

Touchless Car Wash Impact On Sealants

slalom38

Question

15 answers to this question

If anything a touchless car wash never really cleans the vehicle well. It gets the surface to appear clean but often leaves behind a film of dirt. My opinion is that if you use touchless all winter, you will have a lot of bonded contaminates on the surface due to the accumulation of that film.

Another thing I do if I do go through one is I only get the basic wash without any wax. No reason to lock in any of those bonded contaminates with a protective coating of sub-par wax.

If anything a touchless car wash never really cleans the vehicle well. It gets the surface to appear clean but often leaves behind a film of dirt. My opinion is that if you use touchless all winter, you will have a lot of bonded contaminates on the surface due to the accumulation of that film.

Another thing I do if I do go through one is I only get the basic wash without any wax. No reason to lock in any of those bonded contaminates with a protective coating of sub-par wax.

Since the car post wash is not entirely dry, I spray the car with detail spray then use a drying towel.  I figure I get through the winter, then come spring, I do a strip wash, correction, seal, glaze and wax.  Sound like a plan?

The Detail Spray is a good idea, but I'm not keen on the idea of towel drying a car that has a dirt film on it.

Instead, I follow up a touchless wash with a waterless or rinseless wash. Then chase it with a drying towel, perhaps with a spritz of Detail Spray.

Since the car post wash is not entirely dry, I spray the car with detail spray then use a drying towel. I figure I get through the winter, then come spring, I do a strip wash, correction, seal, glaze and wax. Sound like a plan?

Like Joel said, I'm not a fan of detail spray after a touchless wash. I would do Rinseless or waterless wash. The film of dirt needs to be encapsulated before being wiped away. Detail spray won't do that.

I try to only go through a touchless wash if I know I'll be washing the car. Like others said they use strong chemicals

How would a touchless wash generate swirling?

From the high pressure of the water. I had bought a new 2010 Mustang and for 3 months used nothing but a touchless wash. Then one sunny day I noticed all the swirls in the paint. Learning how to get rid of the these swirls is how I got into detailing.

From the high pressure of the water. I had bought a new 2010 Mustang and for 3 months used nothing but a touchless wash. Then one sunny day I noticed all the swirls in the paint. Learning how to get rid of the these swirls is how I got into detailing.

More than likely, those swirls came from the dealership. You would have to have crazy high pressure water to swirl the paint.

The swirls did not come from the dealership.

My thinking on why he stated that was, if a dealer does doll up a car often time a glaze is applied to hide imperfections and then maybe a wax is used. So while it may have not looked like they were their when you picked it up, the touchless wash degraded the wax and glaze and then you think the touchless wash has scratched your paint when really the glaze and wax just covered them up temporarily