Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl killer mini to spread wax?

Erictski

Question

Curious if the sk mini could tackle a whole vehicle for wax or sealant application? I know it isn't meant for whole car correction, but seeing as how spreading wax and sealant is a quicker less taxing job was wondering if it would be possible.

10 answers to this question

I tried to use the mini for paste wax, but I found the lowest speed a little too fast for an even application. I use my cordless drill with the Adam's cordless backing plate and the black pad to be my best option. I can vary the speed during the wax application to my needs....(my 2 cents) 

If you use the Adam's Swirl Killer Mini for wax or sealant application, the lowest speed setting of 1 is 2,500 OPM vs 2,000 OPM of the regular Swirl Killer, so it will oscillate a bit faster even at the lowest setting - it's manageable but like Gary said, it may not work best for you in this particular application. The Swirl Killer Mini is designed as more of a spot correction machine for imperfections in tight areas - wait until you see some of the correction work it's done on this Silverado I'm working on at my house now! I'll be posting a write-up hopefully soon when the truck is complete.

Also, if you use the Swirl Killer Mini for wax or sealant application, I would recommend doing one panel at a time, with no downward pressure on the paint.

If you use the Adam's Swirl Killer Mini for wax or sealant application, the lowest speed setting of 1 is 2,500 OPM vs 2,000 OPM of the regular Swirl Killer, so it will oscillate a bit faster even at the lowest setting - it's manageable but like Gary said, it may not work best for you in this particular application. The Swirl Killer Mini is designed as more of a spot correction machine for imperfections in tight areas - wait until you see some of the correction work it's done on this Silverado I'm working on at my house now! I'll be posting a write-up hopefully soon when the truck is complete.

Also, if you use the Swirl Killer Mini for wax or sealant application, I would recommend doing one panel at a time, with no downward pressure on the paint.

Yes the Swirl Killer is absolutely fine to use for applying our Paint Sealant with our 6" Gray Foam Pad. Run it at around speed 2 and apply it thin and even and you'll be good to go!

These two statements conflict a bit maybe you could clarify. 

You said the SK is slower on speed 1 than the SK mini, but here you tell me to use setting 2 on the SK for sealant.  wouldn't speed 1 on the Mini be slower or equal to that of the SK on setting TWO? 

I am specifically talking sealants and not waxes as I don't use paste waxes, just adams sealant and another sealant that recommends not using a long throw machine to apply.

thanks for any clarification you give.

These two statements conflict a bit maybe you could clarify. 

You said the SK is slower on speed 1 than the SK mini, but here you tell me to use setting 2 on the SK for sealant.  wouldn't speed 1 on the Mini be slower or equal to that of the SK on setting TWO? 

I am specifically talking sealants and not waxes as I don't use paste waxes, just adams sealant and another sealant that recommends not using a long throw machine to apply.

thanks for any clarification you give.

The larger 5.5" pads and longer orbit movement of the Swirl Killer will oscillate on the surface a little more slowly at a speed setting or 1 or 2 when compared to the smaller 4" pad and slightly smaller orbit movement on the Swirl Killer Mini. While you don't need to use downward pressure when applying a sealant or wax with a machine, the pad is still contacting the surface and creating some amount of drag, even if minimal. A larger surface area pad seems to create more drag to me than a smaller pad. I've done no scientific measurements for this observation other than hours of polishing and use with both machines.

Speed 2 on the Swirl Killer Mini does not correspond equally to speed 2 on the regular Swirl Killer, if you use both machines side by side with the same pads and sealant. If you test it out you will see what I mean. Speed 1 on the Swirl Killer Mini spins the pads at 2500 OPM, which is the same speed as setting 2 on the Swirl Killer as you had mentioned. 

You can try using the Swirl Killer Mini for sealant application, and it should give you pretty good results if running it on speed 1, just make sure to spread it around a lot before powering on the machine to avoid unnecessary slinging of sealant. For me personally, I can seal small areas by hand almost just as quickly as I would with the Swirl Killer Mini. I do however, still use the normal Swirl Killer to apply Paint Sealant to large body panels, since it provides consistent, even, and thin application of the product.