Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass Products and Towels

Mariner

Question

So I just have an interesting experience to share. I have always been an advocate for the older style blue towels. I tried the yellow ones and couldn't get a window clean with them to save my life, so I traded them away. Never had an issue with blue towels, til tonight.

I had a new windshield put in today. A couple hours after install, I went out to clay and seal. It was raining of course, but luckily I have a car port. But that's how serious we all are about detailing lol.

So a baggie test confirmed some serious contaminants on the new windshield. So with half a clay bar, I went to town for about 20 minutes or so. When I was done, the windshield was smooth as glass, pun completely intended.

Next, Glass Cleaner. No issues with cleaning, wiping, hazing, or dragging with the blue towels.

Next, Sealant. This is where it got interesting. With my microfiber pad, the Sealant didn't haze nearly as much as it usually does, which I thought was interesting. When I sprayed on Glass Cleaner again to wipe off the haze, the blue towel was seriously like I was dragging sandpaper across asphalt. I couldn't believe it. Tried some more cleaner, same result.

Keep in mind, each step, I used a fresh towel.

So I struggled through it, and then applied Glass Boost. Smooth as silk. No drag.

I didn't have a clean differently branded waffle weave to try, but honestly I don't know if it would have made a difference.

I'm bamboozled to say the least as to why my blue towels would not drag, then drag horribly, then not drag. Interesting story I just wanted to share.

Edited by Mariner

8 answers to this question

Hmm, that's pretty odd Dustin. There are two sides of the blue towels too - one side is more shiny than the other - try the other side if one side doesn't seem to be working properly. 

That's all I can think of right now.

Dan, honestly that's the first thing I thought of too. I did flip the towel over and got the same results. 

I'm wondering if you used the new glass cleaner in the can vs the one in the bottle. Maybe that reacted differently with the sealant?

Maybe the alcohol in the new cleaner created a reaction?

I just want to stress that after I tried the Boost, it was smooth again. And there is absolutely no haze.

It might be that if it was raining, the extra humidity resulted in the Glass Sealant not curing as fast, so when you went back to remove, it had not hazed completely.

That has got to be it. So I guess the question is now, do I need to reapply the Sealant?