Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP What Do I Need with my SK Kit...

mathews31

Question

25 answers to this question

Depends on your goals for the paint. What color of paint. Is the paint soft or hard. Lots of variables. It wouldn't hurt to have the finishing pad and polish.

Dang it, I wish you said no...trying to keep the budget in reality...do you think it would matter if it's a black car, dodge charger specifically.

Blacks tend to show more, and as such need to be finished down more. It depends on the condition of the paint and the results you're after. You can get away with correcting polish and finishing polish. If any spots are bad you'll just have to work them longer than with compound. It's not the end of the world to not have compound. If I had to choose two, it would be correcting polish and finishing polish. I tend to use heavy compound more for spot correction than on an entire vehicle...unless the paint is really rough to begin with.

Adam's has some nice bundles that should get you off to a good start.

Edited by medic001918

The kit comes with heavy and correcting but not finishing...

Blacks tend to show more, and as such need to be finished down more. It depends on the condition of the paint and the results you're after. You can get away with correcting polish and finishing polish. If any spots are bad you'll just have to work them longer than with compound. It's not the end of the world to not have compound. If I had to choose two, it would be correcting polish and finishing polish. I tend to use heavy compound more for spot correction than on an entire vehicle...unless the paint is really rough to begin with.

Adam's has some nice bundles that should get you off to a good start.

Edited by mathews31

Our Orange Correcting Polish with an Orange Foam Pad does finish down very nicely in most circumstances, but for darker colored vehicles like black, charcoal gray, dark blue, and so on, I do usually like to complete the paint correction portion of the detail by using our White Foam Pad with Finishing Polish, since these darker colors can show smaller flaws more easily to my eyes.

So you could add the Finishing Polish and pads as extra items on the order in addition to the kit, or if you give me a call tomorrow I should be able to help swap things around and help you out.

I would also recommend at least 2 of each pad type if you are planning on doing an entire paint correction in one day - after you get through about half of the vehicle, there will be too much polish built up in the pads for them to continue being effective until they are cleaned and set aside to dry out. Having 2 pads will allow you to grab a second pad and keep polishing without interruptions of cleaning out pads and waiting a day for them to dry.

Our Orange Correcting Polish with an Orange Foam Pad does finish down very nicely in most circumstances, but for darker colored vehicles like black, charcoal gray, dark blue, and so on, I do usually like to complete the paint correction portion of the detail by using our White Foam Pad with Finishing Polish, since these darker colors can show smaller flaws more easily to my eyes.

So you could add the Finishing Polish and pads as extra items on the order in addition to the kit, or if you give me a call tomorrow I should be able to help swap things around and help you out.

I would also recommend at least 2 of each pad type if you are planning on doing an entire paint correction in one day - after you get through about half of the vehicle, there will be too much polish built up in the pads for them to continue being effective until they are cleaned and set aside to dry out. Having 2 pads will allow you to grab a second pad and keep polishing without interruptions of cleaning out pads and waiting a day for them to dry.

I'm working with a slightly limited budget and so I don't know if 3 extra pads is in the budget. I've been crunching numbers for about an hour. :unsure:

You will be able to get by with one set of pads, you will just have to work on a few panels one night, clean them out, let them dry, and then continue with a few more panels during the next session and so on.

Pads are a consumable though, so they will eventually wear down after you've polished several vehicles. With proper technique a set of pads can last a few years, but they can also be chewed up fairly quickly by too much pressure, catching on a sharp emblem, and so on.

So far what I've calculated is for the kit with the blue microfiber cutting pad, blue foam and orange foam pads with the heavy correcting compound and correcting polish with a bottle of detail spray...I don't really think I need the brush that comes with some other kits. I also think I need some sort of sealant after...Can I just use some  H2O GG or americana...

So far what I've calculated is for the kit with the blue microfiber cutting pad, blue foam and orange foam pads with the heavy correcting compound and correcting polish with a bottle of detail spray...I don't really think I need the brush that comes with some other kits. I also think I need some sort of sealant after...Can I just use some H2O GG or americana...

The brush is highly suggested when using the microfiber pads. It brings the fibers back to life after they get matted down after you start polishing.

I had the same problem, so I passed on the kit, Wish I would have know I swap out the Heavy correcting for the finish polish,

I had the same problem, so I passed on the kit, Wish I would have know I swap out the Heavy correcting for the finish polish,

My issue is I can't decide whether I want more pads (as in 2 pads of the blue and orange) or if I want the finishing polish instead of the heavy correcting compound...

I went with 1 microfiber cutting pad, 1 orange foam, 1 white foam, and added 1 gray foam for use with my Paint sealant.  I probably should have got 2 of each since I'm doing my whole truck, just didn't have it in the budget. guess I'll do half, clean the pads, then do the other half :)

My issue is I can't decide whether I want more pads (as in 2 pads of the blue and orange) or if I want the finishing polish instead of the heavy correcting compound...

I went with 1 microfiber cutting pad, 1 orange foam, 1 white foam, and added 1 gray foam for use with my Paint sealant.  I probably should have got 2 of each since I'm doing my whole truck, just didn't have it in the budget. guess I'll do half, clean the pads, then do the other half :)

That's exactly what I decided...I'm no professional, Godwillingly as time goes on I'll buy some more  pads...I think that 's the best idea for now...I ended up getting a MF, Orange, Blue and White Foam pads, with the three liquid polishes...I'm so excited...:D Dan was beyond great help...

That's exactly what I decided...I'm no professional, Godwillingly as time goes on I'll buy some more  pads...I think that 's the best idea for now...I ended up getting a MF, Orange, Blue and White Foam pads, with the three liquid polishes...I'm so excited... :D Dan was beyond great help...

I'm no pro either so it sounds like we're thinking alike. I highly agree Dan is Awesome!

I'm no pro either so it sounds like we're thinking alike. I highly agree Dan is Awesome!

I also especially know myself because when I was simply applying Americana I got lazy after a few minutes so I think I'm more inclined to split the process between 2 days off.

Just remember when you are starting your first correction that you will need time. The videos you watch are never of someone's first correction. They are usually really good at it. You can do it and you will get better over time, but it will take time to find your technique.

Especially with only 1 pad of each type, consider researching topics related "residue control" and "cleaning a pad on the fly".  Enjoy your new polisher!

Def. I saw that some people blow of the pad with compressed air 

I also think I need some sort of sealant after...Can I just use some  H2O GG or americana...

Hey, Mat. What did he recommend between HGG and/or Americana? Or did you get either? Since you went with PS, my guess is the HGG would be best for your budget, but maybe you sprung for a little more.

Hey, Mat. What did he recommend between HGG and/or Americana? Or did you get either? Since you went with PS, my guess is the HGG would be best for your budget, but maybe you sprung for a little more.

I actually have a 32oz. Bottle of guard and gloss that I'll probably use. And maybe even layer it with some Americana but I decided paint sealant is Godwillingly a future purchase

Edited by mathews31