Customer Service 866.965.0400

Updated tips to shine and protect polished aluminum wheels

Herm225

Question

I have a 2015 F150 Platinum that I'm having a little trouble as far as the wheels. I've used the search function and found a few topics regarding Polishing and protecting the aluminum. But most of the ones I found were old. So whats the best way to shine and protect these wheels? These are the factory clear coated polished aluminum wheels that come with this truck. Any tips are greatly appreciated!  

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

7 answers to this question

I have my wife's rims off her Durango because she has a winter set. I cleaned them and clayed the entire rim, barrel and all. I'm going to do a write up on doing a mild correction and sealing. I plan on using BG, Quick Sealant, and American!!

From what I read per Ford these are clear coated polished aluminum wheels

If that's true then treat them like your paint. Use Correcting and/or Finishing polish, protect with Liquid paint sealant, H2O Guard & Gloss, Wax, or ceramic wheel coating. Easiest way to test if they are clear coated is after cleaning them try a small amount of metal polish in an inconspicuous area and see if the applicator turns black. If it turns black they are raw and not clear coated. Most factory wheels are clear coated though.

If that's true then treat them like your paint. Use Correcting and/or Finishing polish, protect with Liquid paint sealant, H2O Guard & Gloss, Wax, or ceramic wheel coating. Easiest way to test if they are clear coated is after cleaning them try a small amount of metal polish in an inconspicuous area and see if the applicator turns black. If it turns black they are raw and not clear coated. Most factory wheels are clear coated though.

What blcksilv08 said.

OK I'll try that next time I have a chance to really get after it. So far I use wheel cleaner when they're really dirty, then protect it with a coat of liquid paint sealant. I haven't got into the coatings yet due to the fact all I have access to is my carport and no enclosed garage. Not to mention pollen is falling like crazy here.