Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waterless vs Detail Spray...Again! LOL

galaxy

Question

So...I'm still perplexed.  I grabbed some waterless to try it out and see where/how to fit this into my product line up and usage.

I started out experimenting on wheels.  After two full "quick detail" jobs on wheels using waterless, I swear the appearance is different than when I use detail spray...and by appearance I mean I prefer this better.  I can't explain it, but I'm sure you guys have had similar experiences with products; an appearance you can't explain but know you like it better.

What's throwing me a mental block I think is the texture.  Detail spray seems to cling better, seems thicker, and seems to offer better lubricity than waterless.  Waterless seems extremely watery and runny to me, but clearly does the trick.  Even did some touch up spots on paint tonight during a touch up job and was blow away.

One way I've heard it described it Waterless adds nothing to the surface, but instead just leaves a clean surface with the finish being of whatever your LSP is.  Detail spray can tend to mask the qualities of your LSP and if built up, can mute the qualities.  IDK.

I don't really know if there was a question in there or not, but mainly curious if you guys are seeing similar results and where/when/how you've added Waterless to your repertoire; and I'm mainly curious for instances other than doing a full body waterless wash.  Has this assumed some type of QD role for you?  Replaced detail spray?

And finally...I am going coating this year.  Is Waterless better to use as a QD when needed on a coated car as it just cleans instead of coating or adding product to the surface?

Sorry for the ramble...thanks guys.

5 answers to this question

Direct from the Adam's WW website: "How is it different than Detail Spray? Adam's Waterless Car Wash is a more effective cleaner, and has more lubricant designed to remove larger dirt particles without causing swirls. It also has no gloss enhancers, so it leaves your paint clean but not glossy. Follow Adam's Waterless Car Wash with Adam's Detail Spray to enhance the gloss!"

You're right about WW not really adding anything to the surface. The new DS, though, has "wax enhancing" properties, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here has some carnuba added (could be wrong).

You're right about WW not really adding anything to the surface. The new DS, though, has "wax enhancing" properties, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here has some carnuba added (could be wrong).

Detail spray has a light carnuba additive in the formula. So every time you use detail spray you are adding a very small amount of detail spray, so minor that it shouldn't change the hydrophobic properties of a ceramic coating.

I mostly use waterless wash for washing in the winter, lots of people use it for a clay lube though, but I prefer detail spray because I really like the clay bar to slide.

Edited by Nathan

Waterless may not have any gloss enhancers, but it sure does something to my surface.  Like I mentioned earlier, I'm sure we've all used products that changes a shade, hue, or overall appearance of what we're doing and just don't know how to translate that into words, but using Waterless as a detail spray/QD here lately just leaves things crisp, clean, and clear looking; best way I can think of to describe it.  I REALLY notice it when I do an inbetween wash touch up job on anthracite wheels.

With my near future application of a coating for the firs time, that's why the "leaving nothing on or adding anything to the surface", combined with my current results of using Waterless, has got me thinking Waterless may become my new go-to detail spray/QD.  

Either way...gonna order by the gallon on this cause I see me going through it as fast as detail spray.  

Such an easy to use, 100% streak free, effortless product to use.  

I know some of you dilute Rinseless to make a similar product, but is it just as nice to work with when you do that?  Just as much lubricity while leaving behind the same results?

Edited by galaxy

The previous Waterless had no gloss enhancers. The current Waterless has a small amount. 

See: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/32276-how-often-is-too-often-for-rinseless/    last sentence of lucky post #13 by Dan. "The current version of Waterless Wash does have a very small amount of shine enhancement to it, but it is very minimal."

Edited by LT1xL82