Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hello, here is my story

chipsc

Hello everyone. I am just setting up an account so I can post some questions I have about the products and what I should be using for my truck. Although I am getting up in the years with my age, I am about as new as can be to this car care. I have always been one to just save the money and not have anything that really needed any special wash, waxes, polishes, or much less detail sprays, correcting compounds, sealants, long throw random orbital buffers, etc... About the only thing that I have had that got washed and waxed is my Harley Davidson. Of course there is not a lot of paint being that the only painted service is a gas tank and two fenders. Most of the polishing on this is chrome. As for my cars, well they have never been any newer than 12 years old and who cares what they looked like. I mean I got them from an auction before they were scrapped. 

Flip forward to today when my wife finished school with a medical degree, I finished my second degree, and our family is now a two income family and things seem to have changed. Now I have a metallic blue 2016 Chevrolet Silverado and my wife has a new Land Rover Discovery. Now we have something that I want to keep nice.

When I purchased my truck I got the paint protection, I think it was Commodore or something like that. I know it is likely just a gimmic that the dealer makes money on and the product doesn't actually work for anything. I didn't purchase it for the way they say it works, I purchased it because it gave me a warranty on the paint. I didn't buy anything like this for the Discovery as it is a little less at risk of being scratched and is garage kept.

I decided that I would take my truck through a car wash real fast since so many people told me how good it was and they have had no problems. I believe this was my first mistake as my truck came out scratched, and I mean scratched. It looked like someone took a wire brush down both sides of the truck. Of course, as we all know, it wasn't the fault of the car wash. There is no way a machine spinning in a circular motion spinning brush like pieces down the side of a vehicle would cause millions of little 3 inch horizontal scratches down it. It must have been a weedeater or something. Okay, I digress.

The car wash owner looked at the truck and said there was nothing in the car wash that would cause this. Understand that the owner was very nice and really did try and help. During the conversation the owner told me that it is possible that it was the after market paint protection that the dealer sold me coming off. He offered to buff part of a fender to see if he could get the scratches off. He pulled out his orbital buffer and Adams products that he said he uses on his corvette that he shows. In about 10 minutes, the scratches were gone and the fender was shining like it should. I then went home and got the after market paint care product kit from the dealer and put the paint protection renewer on the truck and the scratches appeared to be gone. Probably not gone, but not really noticeable. I fear the next time I wash the truck the scratches, or swipes of paint protectant coming off, will just appear again.

I am impressed on how the products seemed to work on the fender the car wash owner did. I don't want to waist a bunch of money on Adams products that I don't need due to my lack of experience, especially since the cheapo paint protector renew stuff from the dealer seemed to mask the scratches. I would rather spend the money on the correct Adams product the first time.  

Sorry for the length of the post, but there is the story of how I got here any why I am in search of the correct product to use.

First... Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of great people on here with loads of experience. I am not one of those experienced people but my best guess - the dealer product is probably a waste of time and only mask the real problem.

If it were me I would invest in the Swirl Killer (makes it easy on us older folk for waxing the car) Correcting polish and finishing polish and for the Silverado H2O Guard and gloss

There are a lot of other great products to keep your paint in tip top shape but I'll the experts chime in on that. This is just my.02 

Welcome Chip!  You have alot of hard earned knowledge!  

Check out the videos to learn the correct way to wash the truck keep from adding more scratches, and how you can remove them yourself.  And ask questions...there are lots of helpful, friendly folks on here that started where you did (myself included). 

Welcome to the addiction, Chip! Great to have you along for the shine!

Also, congratulations to both you and your bride on the advanced degrees. That's awesome! :2thumbs:

I wonder if that car wash owner is a member on here.........

Welcome to the addiction, Chip! Great to have you along for the shine!

Also, congratulations to both you and your bride on the advanced degrees. That's awesome! :2thumbs:

I wonder if that car wash owner is a member on here.........

I don't know if he is a member or not. I certainly wouldn't bash him or his business as he really did go out of the way to try and help me during a time he really didn't have, plus that just isn't who I am. In the end I think he is probably right and it is the cheap after market dealer applied paint protector coming off. He explained the entire car wash to me and how the chemicals they use are a balanced PH in order to clean the car and not to acidic to harm the paint or clear coat and let me go in and look at the brushes to see how soft they are. he takes his Vet in the same car wash and doesn't have a problem but he uses the Adams product in addition to the car wash so the paint is probably protected better. I don't know, it makes sense to me.

In addition to the videos Michael suggested above, many of which are on the Adam's website (http://adamspolishes.com/video), you should also check out this really informative thread:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27631-faq-should-i-use-wax-or-sealant-on-my-car/

I ran across that forum and read through it briefly but wanted to go back and read it again. I couldn't remember where I saw it though so thanks for adding it here so I can find it. 

Bashing him wasn't my intention at all. I think it's cool he tried to help you out and used Adam's stuff to do it.

I think the dealer added something to mask the imperfections...a glaze, maybe?...that got washed off. I've heard that can be a pretty common practice. Just my two cents.

Glad it is getting worked out for you. Adam's is awesome stuff, and you're in the right place to learn. Lots of great info on here. And even better people.

Bashing him wasn't my intention at all. I think it's cool he tried to help you out and used Adam's stuff to do it.

I think the dealer added something to mask the imperfections...a glaze, maybe?...that got washed off. I've heard that can be a pretty common practice. Just my two cents.

Glad it is getting worked out for you. Adam's is awesome stuff, and you're in the right place to learn. Lots of great info on here. And even better people.

O yea, I know it wasn't your intent. I may stop by and talk to him and see if he is a member but I know he just had shoulder surgery. Another reason I was so impressed with him, he was polishing my truck the day before he had shoulder surgery and had tons of other things to take care of. 

It would be neat to run into him on here. 

O yea, I know it wasn't your intent. I may stop by and talk to him and see if he is a member but I know he just had shoulder surgery. Another reason I was so impressed with him, he was polishing my truck the day before he had shoulder surgery and had tons of other things to take care of. 

It would be neat to run into him on here.

If he needed surgery after buffing your car, perhaps the scratches were deeper than you thought! :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...