Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nathan

Question

I know this sounds stupid but I am going to get new buckets for my 3 bucket wash method. Should I get the 5 gallon with grit guard and washboard or should I get the 3.5 gallon with grit guard? Does any one have more advantages?

16 answers to this question

It depends on how much water you usually use. If you are used to filling up a regular bucket then it might take some getting used to less water with a 3.5G bucket. I personally use three 5G buckets but I have thought about switching to a 3.5G for my soap bucket since I only put about 2-3G of soap/water in it. My rinse bucket is filled to the top.

Edited by chops1sc

5 gallon. More room to rinse/scrub your wash media or brushes, and more water to dilute the dirt and grime.

It depends on how much water you usually use. If you are used to filling up a regular bucket then it might take some getting used to less water with a 3.5G bucket. I personally use three 5G buckets but I have thought about switching to a 3.5G for my soap bucket since I only put about 2-3G of soap/water in it. My rinse bucket is filled to the top.

5 gallon all the way. I have one 3.5 gallon (non Adams) and never use it. I cannot think of a single advantage with the smaller size

Thanks guys, but have any of you tried the washboard?

5 gallon buckets for sure...for the soap bucket don't fill 5 gallon all the way or use a 3.5 gallon bucket.

The washboard is really nice...particularly for cleaning/rinsing brushes and as, well, um, a washboard for towels and applicators!  :)

​Really the bucket size can only be determined by the exact uses or needs YOU will be using it for.

​Ideally, a 5 gallon as Dan (The Wolf) offers all of the right benefits of the larger size, however there are times I used a 3.5 gallon bucket too.

​I only use it for "wheels & tires" only with it filled with car shampoo during a wash process on a regular basis of washing a single vehicle.

​I also have used them to transport the 2 bucket "Rinseless Wash" buckets in the trunk of my Corvette when I had to drive it to a show in the rain about 60 miles away, more due to the small size of my trunk and them fitting into that space when compared to a 5 gallon bucket.

Both have uses, which is why Adam's gave you the choices. YOU just need to determine which one(s) meet your needs.

Lastly, washboard is great tool, and I use it in the larger 5 gallon buckets. 

I'd offer the 3.5 gallon is great for the following:

- Brushes/Wheel Woolie. Fill up the bucket enough to cover the bristles, and they can sit in there between tires/wheels, making it an easy way to carry them and keep grime from your other wash/rinse buckets.

- Presoaking towels before a wash. Since the grit guard fits, too, it'll help hold them down in the water.

Bottom line, as Chris and Robert mentioned above, it depends on what you're after. Pretty sure you'll find a use for the smaller, 3.5g buckets in your arsenal.

I have two of both the 5 gallon size and 3.5 gallon size. I use the standard 5 gallon buckets for my two bucket wash, and use a single 3.5 gallon bucket for my wheels and tires. The spare 3.5 gallon bucket I use to toss my used towels in when I'm done with them during a detail.

Edited by Mariner

I have the old 4.25 gallon Adam's bucket and prefer that over the 5 gal.  I use that for my wash bucket, with a 5 gal as the rinse bucket, and have a 3.5 gal that is perfect for transporting 16 oz. bottles when I am mobile. 

I have the old 4.25 gallon Adam's bucket and prefer that over the 5 gal.  I use that for my wash bucket, with a 5 gal as the rinse bucket, and have a 3.5 gal that is perfect for transporting 16 oz. bottles when I am mobile.

4.25g? What'd they do, just chop off the top...um...0.75g?!