Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Motorcycles

chops1sc

Question

I might have the opportunity to detail a motorcycle for someone next week. I have never washed or detailed one before and I'm looking for an tips and/or advice. I couldn't find anything in the search.

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

No tire shine on the tires. It makes the bike want to slip when it's cornering.

No leather conditioner on the seat or grips (if they are leather covered). Lots of sliding around.

If the bike has spoke rims, don't use any power tools on them. Such items like the Turbo stick will work well for a minute but if it gets caught in between where the spokes cross, it'll yank it hard enough to damage it.

Just some things I learned from the first time I cleaned my bike. 

All I use is Adams to detail my harley street glide. As mentioned, master blaster or side kick is a must. In and out spray works great on the black wrinkle engine. I use Adams leather conditioner quite often on my leather seat with no problems being slippery. My harley has lots of chrome, I never polish it, just wipe the chrome down with detail spray and it is shiny as can be.

I use Adams leather conditioner quite often on my leather seat with no problems being slippery.

Harley might use better leather that what I am used to. Mine is a Honda Shadow and it would just make the seat a little slick for a bit. I just used the leather cleaner from then on so it stays matte.

Harley might use better leather that what I am used to. Mine is a Honda Shadow and it would just make the seat a little slick for a bit. I just used the leather cleaner from then on so it stays matte.

Majority of seats on motorcycles these days claim they are leather, but are actually vinyl. If yours is possibly vinyl and not leather, then that would explain why it gets slippery bc the conditioner wouldn't soak into the vinyl as much as it would leather (my assumption anyway). Think the stock seat on my harley was vinyl, but looks just like leather, until i upgraded to a custom seat that is true leather