Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hood clear coat damage

nrider

Question

Hey, so I have some sun damage on the hood of a chevy tahoe. Was wondering if there were any methods or products I could try to restore the look of the hood (not to showroom quality of couse) or would I just have to get the whole thing stripped and re-painted.

I have attached an image below. If the only solution is to strip and repaint, what should something like that roughly cost?

Many thanks.

post-15990-0-12399900-1494299546_thumb.jpg

Edited by nrider

7 answers to this question

To me that looks like fading from the sun so you would want to buy a polisher, correcting polish, and the orange pad, watch some of Adams videos and give it a try! You could also try the revive hand polish first but I don't think it will make a very big dent.

Niterider, you'll have to excuse young Nate as he has lack of experience...

Are you the original owner the this vehicle? Has it been in a accident?

Paint failure is common in this body style for GM, in these late model years.

Usually if you add wax to paint that is oxidized it becomes worse because it gets trapped in the damaged ares and it will not release the wax therefore causing it to look worse.

You can have to hood reaprayed just depends on the body shop you choose, the cost could be $300 up to $1,000.00 depending on the quality you are looking for.

Hey, so I have some sun damage on the hood of a chevy tahoe. Was wondering if there were any methods or products I could try to restore the look of the hood (not to showroom quality of couse) or would I just have to get the whole thing stripped and re-painted.

I have attached an image below. If the only solution is to strip and repaint, what should something like that roughly cost?

Many thanks.

attachicon.giftruckclearcoat.jpg

Niterider, you'll have to excuse young Nate as he has lack of experience...

Are you the original owner the this vehicle? Has it been in a accident?

Paint failure is common in this body style for GM, in these late model years.

Usually if you add wax to paint that is oxidized it becomes worse because it gets trapped in the damaged ares and it will not release the wax therefore causing it to look worse.

You can have to hood reaprayed just depends on the body shop you choose, the cost could be $300 up to $1,000.00 depending on the quality you are looking for.

I've worked with that type of damage before...correcting polish took it off...the picture isn't very good, I only see one angle. Edited by Nathan

Unfortunately correcting polish won't solve this problem. It is clear coat failure. GM, Ford, and even Honda had a problem with clear coat failure. I specifically remember seeing MANY Ford Probes and a few Pontiac models. The clear coat has failed and if you try to remove the "problem" with correcting polish, you are only removing what is left of the clear coat. A repaint is needed for this situation.

I've worked with that type of damage before...correcting polish took it off...the picture isn't very good, I only see one angle.

Unfortunately correcting polish won't solve this problem. It is clear coat failure. GM, Ford, and even Honda had a problem with clear coat failure. I specifically remember seeing MANY Ford Probes and a few Pontiac models. The clear coat has failed and if you try to remove the "problem" with correcting polish, you are only removing what is left of the clear coat. A repaint is needed for this situation.

That's too bad, it looked like hazing to me

Thanks for the replys. I may just try and do a small test area with correcting polish etc. and see how it goes. I mean if it turns out it has to be resprayed then whatever I tried to fix it will be stripped and covered anyways.

Was just about to explain this, but you hit it spot on. I have a few GM vehicles from this body style. 

I always tell my customers that detailing only cleans and enhances your vehicle and can not fix damage. Alot of them do not understand this an expect me to be some kind of miracle worker haha. If your paints damaged, no amount of compound or polish will fix it.