Customer Service 866.965.0400

Heavy correcting polish issue

2012srt8

Question

I tried the heavy correcting polish for the first time today with the microfiber pad and it seemed to burn the clear very easily. I wasn't even going slow either. I went over it with the orange polish and a foam and then the white and it cleared up the problem. Anyone else have this issue?

Would that not just clog up the pad? I usually spread it on the paint and start at a slow speed setting to move I around then turn It up

Not exactly. I prime my pads and can do a few panels before the pad starts to get too much polish. I also have a MF towel I use after every couple of passes to clean the pad out some. That will help it from clogging as fast.

Would that not just clog up the pad? I usually spread it on the paint and start at a slow speed setting to move I around then turn It up

Clog it with what? The product is what does the polishing, not the pad. There is a point where you can put too much product in the pad and it begins to sling, but this is not at all what I am advocating.

Think of it like this. You are painting your wall with a roller. Is the best method to apply a few dots of paint to the roller and begin painting? Or do you want to give the roller a healthy coat (priming) of paint?

If I can do it all with the orange and white I'll try that. I didn't realize if you used the blue it had to be followed up by orange anyways. Not sure I feel like doing 3 steps lol

You can go from the compound straight to the finishing polish.

You can also skip the finishing polish and use correcting polish instead, the finishing polish really is to make it shine and not for correction.

I'm getting back at the polishing today and I'm getting tons of dusting and actual pieces of the pad coming apart? Am I pressing to hard? I'm using the new formula of correcting polish to

Sorry to come in late to the conversation, is this with heavy correcting and microfiber or correcting polish with an orange pad?

I would try a new pad. Do you tend to brush out the pad while working? Normally, I'll just walk away from the car and hold the polisher at speed like 2-3 and hit the pad with the brush to prevent any build up. I do that every panel or two.

If you can see that your pad is spinning while working than you shouldn't have too much pressure. It varies from car to car but with a fresh pad I put a complete circle bead of polish around the pad and spread on setting 1. Bump up to my working speed and work till the polish flashes and then put 1-2 pea sized drops as necessary. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips. Changing pads helped and never thought of running the polisher with the brush to clean them.

I don't know how anyone gets this done in a day lol 2nd full day and I still have the rear bumper to correct plus do the whole thing again with finishing polish

I cannot get these scratches out on the bumpers. I've tried heavy compound followed by correcting polish. What am I doing wrong?

Do they grab your fingernail? If they do, you may want to look into wetsanding.

I cannot get these scratches out on the bumpers. I've tried heavy compound followed by correcting polish. What am I doing wrong?

Can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? Are you sure the pad is spinning? Could be the pad is full of product and needs to be changed... there are a few reasons as to why.

Pads were brand new. I was using the sk mini at speed 4-5. There's a whole bunch. I find I have this issue every time on bumpers, is it because the bumpers arnt metal like the rest of the car? Everything else I got near perfect. Hopefully the glaze will help full them in.

Also I had a piece of the pad comeapart in the center of the pad,must have got something. Is no good now?

Pads were brand new. I was using the sk mini at speed 4-5. There's a whole bunch. I find I have this issue every time on bumpers, is it because the bumpers arnt metal like the rest of the car? Everything else I got near perfect. Hopefully the glaze will help full them in.

Also I had a piece of the pad comeapart in the center of the pad,must have got something. Is no good now?

Cheap insurance says to toss it.  You can save it as a spare in a pinch if it doesn't upset the balance of the machine.  I've some rough pads I've used when I know I'm going to really beat them up.  Some of them have caused a vibration though and as soon as I feel it, there's nowhere to go with it but straight to the garbage.

It's worth keeping an assortment of pads on hand.

I am replying a bit late in the thread, but heavy dusting could imply one or more of the following:

• Pad overuse - product has dried in the pad and is now aerosolizing. Clean the pad with compressed air or swap it out.
  • Pad overheating - too many causes to tackle here
  • Incorrect pad/product combination - you aren't cutting fast enough to get the results you desire
  • Very warm/dry climate - move to cooler place out of sunlight

Lots and lots of information to convey here and a response could fill many hours worth of video. Sorry to be direct here, but heavy dusting means you're doing something wrong. Without being there, it's tough to nail down what that something is.