Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie here

Olgrey93

Question

Hi all I tried out my swirl killer yesterday on my wife's black Acadia using the blue compound and foam pad. The problem I ran into was it created a lot of dust. Did I do something wrong here as the orange polish did not dust at all

9 answers to this question

Hi all I tried out my swirl killer yesterday on my wife's black Acadia using the blue compound and foam pad. The problem I ran into was it created a lot of dust. Did I do something wrong here as the orange polish did not dust at all

how nervous were you?  :P

I appologize if this is not a good question for this thread.

BUT...

Im a newbie when it comes to DA's. I corrected only my hood yesterday (2016Tahoe)

It was my first time ever using my DA, that I've had for a few months. Its a GG 6".

I used a 5" backing plat with 5.5" pads, 1 was GG pad, 2 were Adams. And I used their correcting cream.

And i also tried some compound i had laying around.

Anyways, its a new truck, had typical dealer swirl marks. It took me 2 hours to get 90% of them out.

Is that normal? It was my first ever, and I was getting frustrated. Just looking for advice, because I constantly had to keep going over the same areas.

I was working in 2'x2' areas in cross hatch patterns.

I wouldn't say that's a crazy amount of time if you've never done it before. It takes a while to get a feel for a good successful working speed for you and the polisher. Did you do a test area to see what polish and pad combos were required before doing the entire hood? I always do a small test section with however many steps it's going to take to get the paint to the end result I was shooting for. After I have that figured out I work panel by panel in each step.