Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tint Glue?

mathews31

Question

So a few years ago I got my rear windshield tinted. Now I recently (4 months ago) noticed that there is this sticky yellowish substance all along my headliner lining the rear window...anyone have any idea how to get it off without removing the headliner. I don't know what the material is but here is a picture:

post-15440-0-41777100-1494890184_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Yikes! I haven't ever worked with something like that but I'd start with the least aggressive method first, that being a utility towel with carpet and upholstery cleaner. Tell me how it works out and in the end what takes it out, I would really like to know.

Edited by Nathan

Im actually wondering if that is a window leak at the top of the window. Window tint is generally applied using a distilled water and baby shampoo dilution. To clean it, either steam if accessible to you or light scrubbing with carpet and upholstery cleaner on a utility towel. Just don't oversaturate the area and damage the headliner glue/backing. But if you have a leak then cleaning it will only be temporary.

I thought so too but we get crazy rain up in NY and I've washed the car multiple times and it's not leaking...that stain has been there for a few months and hasn't changed shape/size

Edited by mathews31

Yikes, I've seen this many times. Did this car have tint before you tinted it? Has the tint ever been striped and reapplied? Second to find out if your rear window is leaking you can go down to the dollar car was and use the pressure nozzle to wash you car mainly washing the rear window section of the car.

I also want to know what kind of car we are talking about here and does said car have a sunroof?

When cleaning headliners do not spray the headliner directly because you don't want to cause the adhesive to fail and cause the headliner to fall down. You can use adams interior cleaner the clear one and spray it on a towel and rub it lightly to clean this hot mess.

Please answer my questions and I will update my answer to your problem.

Another way to find a leak in a windshield, front or rear is to use a foaming windshield cleaner and blow compressed air along seams and edges of the windshield.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work.

At my glass shop I had a car one time that was leaking and both the air nozzle with glass cleaner and a high pressure washer spray down didn't find the leak. So I poured a cup of water over the top of the glass and it quickly found the leak an rushed right in.

The cup of water just flows the water similar to what it does if it's raining out which also allows the water to pool up under the moldings. Because sometimes the hole is small and it takes the pooling of the water to give it time to seep through the hole or the spot the primer is losing its bond with the glass.

Edited by FrozenWS6

So I washed the car and immediately after I looked inside and didn't see anything going in. I'm pretty sure it might be the glue that is holding the "molding" to the roof liner....I'll try that cup trick, but I don't think it's a leak, or if it is it might be the antenna hole

I've seen this happen when customers don't close the sunroof completely and water leaks in and travels down the rails to cause a problem like this,

If any of my friends saw this they would laugh because they always tease me about not having a sunroof lol

I thought all cars came with some roofs, I know mine do...Oh my bad, I only mentioned it again since you didn't reply to my first post!

If any of my friends saw this they would laugh because they always tease me about not having a sunroof lol

Matteo, what was the outcome on this rear window, did it come clean? Did you find the problem? I've been curious since you posted.

So a few years ago I got my rear windshield tinted. Now I recently (4 months ago) noticed that there is this sticky yellowish substance all along my headliner lining the rear window...anyone have any idea how to get it off without removing the headliner. I don't know what the material is but here is a picture: