Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sidekick before or after drying car

Illusive_s550

Question

I know the sidekick blaster is used to dry those tiny areas where water accumulates, but when I use it it blows the water back onto the side panels of the car, etc. When using it should I wash the car, using two bucket wash method, then mist detail spray over entire vehicle, pull it in the garage, use sidekick blaster, then dry vehicle with ultra plush drying towel, or would I dry with the towel after detail spray, pull the car in the garage, use sidekick blaster, then re-dry areas where water was pushed out. I feel that using the sidekick blaster then the towel helps save some time, but I'm not sure if it would be okay to dry the car this way.

18 answers to this question

I prefer to move the car into the garage or shade (if possible), then to prevent spotting I mist the car with DS, next I use the sidekick blaster to blow the water out of the mirrors and badges, then I dry with the ultra plush drying towel.

Another approach I sometimes do is move the car into the garage or shade (if possible), then to prevent spotting I mist the car with DS, and dry the whole car with the sidekick blaster.

As the weather heats up I will dry the car first then blow out the water, this reduces water spots big time for me. Just hold the drying towel 12" in front of where you have the air moving and it'll catch most of the water in the cracks.

I only wash in my garage but my water is pretty hard and will leave water spots, the sheeting method really helps also.

As Nathan said, I pull the car into the garage and use the blower on the entire car. Then I will wipe up any leftover runs from a mirror or badge.

x3

If i had one.

Will be buying one soon

Edited by Last_cast

I wait until I'm done drying the car, then break out the Sidekick. Sometimes I pull in the garage, sometimes not.

Adam demoed using the Sidekick during the clinic last weekend, with a dark colored car in direct sunlight on a warm day.

To reduce the chance of spots in those conditions, he didn't spray the car with any water until after foaming the car with the Foam Gun - the soap dried on the car while he talked - and washing with the 2-bucket method using the wash sponge and merino wash mitt. Finally, he rinsed the car...mentioning the "race against time" that ensued against spotting...then applied HGG (drying during that process). Then, finally, he used the Sidekick and new MF drying towel for touch-up. For what it's worth, the car was outside the entire time.

I actually use the sidekick to dry off the majority of the water first.  Once I am done with that and blowing water out of everywhere, then I go back over the car with some detail spray and a double soft towel or 2 to remove any of the remaining residue.  

I actually use the sidekick to dry off the majority of the water first.  Once I am done with that and blowing water out of everywhere, then I go back over the car with some detail spray and a double soft towel or 2 to remove any of the remaining residue.  

I am with Jacob, I have areas that pool water, so I hit those first, then hit a few other known issue areas, and dry with GWDT and DS.

You ever try sheet/pool rinsing, Jacob? Might save you some time, especially since the Sidekick, while it will work, isn't really built for a full dry.

You ever try sheet/pool rinsing, Jacob? Might save you some time, especially since the Sidekick, while it will work, isn't really built for a full dry.

I have tried it several times, but I don't know if it is my technique or the amount of water I use but I never really am too satisfied with the results.  It has been a while since I have tried it though so maybe it is time to try again. 

As Nathan said, I pull the car into the garage and use the blower on the entire car. Then I will wipe up any leftover runs from a mirror or badge.

This was my method before buying the MB. Now, I wouldn't waste my time trying to dry a whole car using the sidekick.

This was my method before buying the MB. Now, I wouldn't waste my time trying to dry a whole car using the sidekick.

Would you say the MB is worth the money? I have considered it, but thought I'd start off with the sidekick blaster.

I paid a little under 300 for the non-revolution version (same machine but not the extra length hose, swivel wheels or wall hanger).

It is by far the best detailing purchase I've made. No drying towel touches my paint. The sidekick literally sits in my storage closet with the MB purchase. If you plan on drying the whole car with air, do not waste your time with the sidekick IMHO.