Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes vs Flex

Ls1transam

Question

Opinions welcome. I have a Rupes 15mm MKll. I'm not pro but I've logged a few hours of time with it. There are certain situations were the pad just will not spin. My pad isn't overloaded with product or too little. And no matter how I hold it, there are certains times it just will not spin. I know some of it is me. But there are times I wonder if I should have bought the Flex 3401. Maybe the Rupes is a better option since I am still learning? Is the Flex more aggressive since it has forced rotation even though it also acts like a DA? What polisher do you use, which do you think is better and why? I have never used a 3401 so I can't say anything about it. Heard lots of good things though. I'm just kinda thinking out loud I guess.

I have a SK and I feel like this might be happening to me to, If I get near a curve without pressure I see the microfibers on the pad sort of slowdown or stop spinning. I think they stop spinning because when I lift the polisher off, it starts spinning the fibers like you'd expect. I'm alittle concerned, maybe I'll try to put a video up. It definitely gets bothersome. 

Wow that's awesome work. That car looks new again. Did you remove the badge then buff to get those scratches out? This pad stall is killing me. I know some of its my technique, but sometimes it just will not spin! I wish I could use a Flex to get my own opinion on it.

No tape on the badge and no I didn't remove it. Just good techniques, pads, machine. You learn to go slow around things, take your time, but there are times that taping off emblems is a must. I guess after you paint corrected over 100 cars you get good at it 

No tape on the badge and no I didn't remove it. Just good techniques, pads, machine. You learn to go slow around things, take your time, but there are times that taping off emblems is a must. I guess after you paint corrected over 100 cars you get good at it

I'd say you're probably getting pretty good lol. I'm only a car or 2 in lol

I can't speak to the ease of a Rupes, but I do own a Flex 3401. Generally speaking, the Flex is a strong machine! I didn't attempt to stall the pad. This buffer will work and work with no stalling in sight. All of this power does come at an expense. The Flex is a heavy duty GERMAN made machine. The buffer constantly tries to walk all over. It took me a few buffing sessions to finally "master" the technique. This machine needs to be balanced perfectly level when polishing. There is definitely a learning curve. Such an amazing machine, but if using for a finishing polish or wax application, it's not the quickest or easiest route. Every buffer has its place. The FLEX is the right machine for taking out some heavy swirls/scratches. If you just have light imperfections to clean up, I would recommend trying something else.

Why would it not be suited for a finishing polish?

As I tried to explain in my rambling, this machine (FLEX 3401) is built for power and not necessarily for finesse. Think of heavyweight vs lightweight boxers. IMO this machine is great for removing imperfections quickly. However, I wouldn't want to wear myself out using this machine for light polishing/finishing polishing type of work. This is where I assume the Rupes excels ahead of the Flex. You wouldn't bring a strongman contestant to a jump rope competition would you?! 

Why would it not be suited for a finishing polish?

As I tried to explain in my rambling, this machine (FLEX 3401) is built for power and not necessarily for finesse. Think of heavyweight vs lightweight boxers. IMO this machine is great for removing imperfections quickly. However, I wouldn't want to wear myself out using this machine for light polishing/finishing polishing type of work. This is where I assume the Rupes excels ahead of the Flex. You wouldn't bring a strongman contestant to a jump rope competition would you?! 

I agree its very hard to finish with a Flex and get the results you are looking for mainly because its so powerful. When I had my Flex I always had to finish with a Porter Cable.

As I tried to explain in my rambling, this machine (FLEX 3401) is built for power and not necessarily for finesse. Think of heavyweight vs lightweight boxers. IMO this machine is great for removing imperfections quickly. However, I wouldn't want to wear myself out using this machine for light polishing/finishing polishing type of work. This is where I assume the Rupes excels ahead of the Flex. You wouldn't bring a strongman contestant to a jump rope competition would you?!

Ok haha I gotcha

My Rupes will cut through and then finish amazingly. Just as long as the pad is moving.... maybe I just have tons of learning to do. Or maybe it's the pads I'm using.

Rupes recommends using their pads, obviously from a selling point, but mainly because their pads are made to work with their machine. I have tried several types of pads on my Rupes 15 and the best performer was the Rupes pad.

Edited by Kingsford

I agree its very hard to finish with a Flex and get the results you are looking for mainly because its so powerful. When I had my Flex I always had to finish with a Porter Cable.

Sounds like a lot of extra work. Why finish it with a different machine ? If I am applying a coat of sealant I use my PC but that's just to give the Flex a break.

Sounds like a lot of extra work. Why finish it with a different machine ? If I am applying a coat of sealant I use my PC but that's just to give the Flex a break.

Because of the forced rotation, it makes it harder to get the final little bit. I just found it easier to do 1 or 2 passes with a PC to get the last few little spots using a light polishing pad and light finishing polish. It's just what worked best for me. Others may have different results.

I don't own a Flex any more though because it was too much work and I felt so worn out when using it.