Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay longevity

Scooter McGoo

Question

Hi guys,

I'm new to detailing and have found myself diving head first into all the toys from Adams.  I've only washed/detailed my truck 2x thus far and I can tell I have a new hobby.

Anyway, I'm looking into taking the next step and I'm about to get Adams clay bar kit.  First, being new to detailing, I've never clayed a vehicle before, and I was wondering how long the clay lasts?  I know it depends on how dirty and how big your vehicle is, but I'm just looking for a general idea.

Secondly, if the clay is meant to pull all the grime out of the paint/windows, wouldn't reusing it down the road potentially scratch the paint/windows?

Lastly, how often do you clay?  I'm learning that there are a number of products that are not meant to be used every time you wash your vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

You're correct when you say how long the clay lasts depends on the size and condition of the vehicles you're using it on.  I tend to toss my clay when a few things start to happen.  First is if I can no longer fold the contaminants inside of it and get clean clay on the outside.  Second is if I feel the clay starting to really break down and become pretty soft.  Finally, if a piece of clay hits the ground...it's garbage.

Sometimes I get a vehicle out of a piece of clay if it's really bad.  Or if I'm working on vehicles that have been maintained I can get quite a few out of it.  The variable is too much to say.

I clay every time I plan to polish at the very least.  You can do the plastic bag test to see if you need to clay as well.  Put your hand in a plastic bag and rub the paint.  The plastic bag will amplify the feeling of the surface.  If it feels rough, you should clay.  You definitely don't need to clay every time you wash.

And thanks for reminding me that I forgot to add clay to my recent resupply order!!!

Except in cases where I drop the clay (then it is garbage), I will keep clay around to use on glass after I feel it is no longer safe to use on paint.  Not sure if other folks do that, but I've not had any issues doing this.  Now eventually it breaks down or gets too full of contaminates to use even on glass.  Then it gets trashed.

I clay both my cars at least once a year.  BUT my cars are never really dirty except for the daily driver after winter.  I've had an old clay bar from Adam's for a number of years, and have the newer one from Adam's as well.  Both work great.  I like the old one because it's stickier, but the new one works well too.  

And like others have said, unless you drop it on the ground (in which case toss it if it lands on a dirty floor or driveway) it will last you a long while for cars, maybe not so long if you're doing an F350 or similar size ride. 

What they said^^^

Will be trying the new clay bar from adams in the next few weeks.

You wont be disappointed. its awesome. Just stocked up on more of it this past weekend in Carlisle. :)

I usually drop mine before it gets too contaminated, LOL!

ive actually embarrassed myself from doing that... 

because of the expletives i YELL ... outside.... in suburbia...

woooops

I also usually drop mine before it's ready to trash. I wish it was easier to hold onto lol

All kidding aside, (lol) ... the red piece that comes with the Visco clay ... is not only awesome for creating the grime-catching grooves, but then use it as a "holder" for the clay ... much more leverage. LOVE this stuff. 

All kidding aside, (lol) ... the red piece that comes with the Visco clay ... is not only awesome for creating the grime-catching grooves, but then use it as a "holder" for the clay ... much more leverage. LOVE this stuff. 

Thats funny you say that haha, because I HATE the little red thing. I gave mine away... to Joe I believe haha.

Thats funny you say that haha, because I HATE the little red thing. I gave mine away... to Joe I believe haha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

too funny!

i wound up really liking it, HA!! all good. 

:)

Some more thoughts, if I may...

I asked this very question about dropping the clay at the recent clinic. With the new Visco clay, Adam said it's not necessarily true (anymore) to toss it if it falls. Check it, and use common sense, was basically his answer.

Also, it's time to replace it when it gets tacky or swollen with DS and contamination. Remember, all that gunk is getting absorbed in the bar, so it will "grow" over time.

Always store it in the jar, and it'll last you quite a while.