Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which is more safe?????

SS LeadFoot

Question

So the wife and I have bought a new home. Construction ends at the end of June. Until then we are living with my parents. I made the sacrifice and decided to keep my Camaro in the parking garage at my mom's job. My car sits there under a car cover. Lucky for me it is 5 minutes from work, so every day I go by at lunch and add or remove a coat of polish. My question is..... I want to wash the car cover. It will take 2-3 days to wash and dry it, of which my car will be uncovered. Should I leave a coat of polish on the car and take it off when I bring back the car cover or should I leave it with no polish and just wipe it down with detail spray or waterless wash when I bring the cover back?

17 answers to this question

Go buy two microfiber  sheets (queen or king size) and sew them together end to end and put that over your car while you're washing your cover.  That's what I use in the summer in the garage.  Works great, and it's cheap.  I use it UNDER the cover in the winter too to keep the cover from scratching it.

What is a "coat of polish"?

Yup ^^^^. That!

Polish is not meant to be left on. You're not accomplishing anything. And I would not go rubbing anything (to remove or add) if it has sat outside, uncovered, period.

Edited by galaxy

If you're adding or removing polish daily, you'll run out of clear coat eventually (and it probably won't be too long). Polish is meant to repair the surface. You're actually removing a little bit of clear coat every time you polish. Plus, as others have mentioned...it's not meant to be left on.

If you're talking about wax or sealant, there's no need for daily addition or removal. The layer that's there should be able to withstand the elements for the time frame you're leaving it for.

I'd simply leave the car uncovered while you're washing the cover. Once it's done and ready to be reinstalled, wipe the car down to remove dust with waterless wash or detail spray. At that point, reinstall the cover.

Also, the potential for more damage exists with daily installation of the cover to "add or remove" a coat of anything. I think you may be overthinking what you need to do in order to protect your car while your home is being finished. Congrats on the house too!

So I don't use an Adam's product. It's another product. It may or may not start with a Z. This product builds on itself. The more you put on the better and deeper the shine. From the replies I think I will not add polish while uncovered and wipe it down when I recover the car.

So I don't use an Adam's product. It's another product. It may or may not start with a Z. This product builds on itself. The more you put on the better and deeper the shine. From the replies I think I will not add polish while uncovered and wipe it down when I recover the car.

that sir is a wax not a Polish

So this is from the website. I took out the name and just left Z. Also, for a FYI Z doesn not stand for Zymol :)

Best of all, Z mile-deep, crystal clear, mirror-like results will last and last, thanks to the most advanced polymer protectants available.  Expect months of durability from Z, rather than weeks of quickly fading protection like those of our competitors. And like all Z Show Car Polish protectants, you can layer Z for even greater results. Because Z contains no abrasives, it can be successfully layered, unlike other products that contain cleaners and cheap oils.  Layering improves the uniformity of the surface, hides and fills imperfections even better, and will improve the gloss, depth, shine, and "wetness" of your vehicle's paint with each subsequent application.

Is this really a wax?

So I copy and pasted your paragraph, and pulled up the product you're referring to. It definitely does say polish, but I think it's a misrepresentation of the word. Maybe "wax" sounded too generic. It does say it contains no abrasives, so that alone alienates the term "polish", considering a definition of polish that I found online is a compound that uses an "abrasive" action to lightly remove a top coat and smooth imperfections....

So beats me, brother. I think that paragraph definitely describes a wax, and not a polish. But I suppose it's up to many interpretations.

So I copy and pasted your paragraph, and pulled up the product you're referring to. It definitely does say polish, but I think it's a misrepresentation of the word. Maybe "wax" sounded too generic. It does say it contains no abrasives, so that alone alienates the term "polish", considering a definition of polish that I found online is a compound that uses an "abrasive" action to lightly remove a top coat and smooth imperfections....

So beats me, brother. I think that paragraph definitely describes a wax, and not a polish. But I suppose it's up to many interpretations.

Based on what Dustin said, I think they want to call their wax a polish to appeal to the, sorry to put it this way but, "average inexperienced people, detailing noobs".

How many times have we not heard someone say oh I "polished" my car this weekend, it left a great shine. Then when you ask if they put any protection on the paint after they say, yeah I "polished" it, which actually means they waxed it. I think this is that company's way of appealing to them with their wax "polish".

p.s. I HATE when people say the polished their car when they waxed it or sealed it. It just irks me so. 

I actually started out using that "Z" product when I first got my 5th Gen in 2009. It worked GREAT on a brand new car.

However- as I continued to grow and learn about auto detailing I found that product line to be very confusing. The terminology was all over the place.  I had no idea what each product actually DID.

One of the main reasons I switched to Adams was that the product line just made more logical sense to me.  That and the videos.

Also rich this is a great idea! I will look for some microfiber sheets. Any particular brand you use?

No brand.  Just go to a department store, feel them, and buy what's soft and CHEAP.  Don't go spending $100 for two sheets. Just two flat sheets, or buy a set and cut the seams of the fitted sheets.  But two flat sheets works best.  I think I have queen size on the Vette and it covers end to end over the hood and trunk and over the mirrors on the sides, but they don't cover the whole way down the side.  Microfiber, fleece, whatever is soft to your touch. Best thing is, when it gets dirty, just toss it in the washer and dryer and in an hour or so it's ready to go back on the car. 

Yes it's more like a wax, it contains no abrasives.

So this is from the website. I took out the name and just left Z. Also, for a FYI Z doesn not stand for Zymol :)

Best of all, Z mile-deep, crystal clear, mirror-like results will last and last, thanks to the most advanced polymer protectants available.  Expect months of durability from Z, rather than weeks of quickly fading protection like those of our competitors. And like all Z Show Car Polish protectants, you can layer Z for even greater results. Because Z contains no abrasives, it can be successfully layered, unlike other products that contain cleaners and cheap oils.  Layering improves the uniformity of the surface, hides and fills imperfections even better, and will improve the gloss, depth, shine, and "wetness" of your vehicle's paint with each subsequent application.

Is this really a wax?

Best of all, Z mile-deep, crystal clear, mirror-like results will last and last, thanks to the most advanced polymer protectants available. Expect months of durability from Z, rather than weeks of quickly fading protection like those of our competitors. And like all Z Show Car Polish protectants, you can layer Z for even greater results. Because Z contains no abrasives, it can be successfully layered, unlike other products that contain cleaners and cheap oils. Layering improves the uniformity of the surface, hides and fills imperfections even better, and will improve the gloss, depth, shine, and "wetness" of your vehicle's paint with each subsequent application.

Is this really a wax?

to be proper it's actually a paint sealant . But whatever u like using we all have a fovorite products