Customer Service 866.965.0400

My trucks detail process; suggestions

Chonke

Question

So I think its finally time to detail my Ram. It doesnt fit in the garage so its always outside. We have very hot summers reaching about 115* on a normal basis, and for work I constantly have to drive next to fields and that means a lot of bugs and pebbles. So it has taken a lot of abuse over time, but since its silver, it doesnt look so bad from a few feet.

I detail the interior a lot more often than the exterior so luckily everything inside is in good shape. Not too long ago, I went fishing and drove through a rough path with thick bushes and tree branches sticking out and ended up getting my drivers side door scratched up. So I decided now would be a good time to do the whole truck.

I wash the truck about every 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes less when I use my other car instead. I use the two bucket system and Adams shampoo and wash mitt. On every wash I use APC on the tires and a VRT on all the black plastic trim. As for the rims I also use adams shampoo but about every second or third wash, Ill use deep wheel cleaner. And ill also use h2o guard and gloss about every month.

So this weekend I ordered more products and I was thinking of changing the routine:

1) Clean all 4 tires with tire cleaner. It says it works on trim too, so Ill also use this for all the plastic trim

2) clean all 4 wheels with deep wheel cleaner (I still have a full gallon of the older pink one)

3) Wash the truck with strip wash using the 2 bucket method. (Go back and clean the wheel wells at the end)

4) Dry the whole car and use VRT on trim and tire shine/undercarriage spray on the wheels. 

5) Clay bar the whole car.

6) Use polish and my DA polisher to try and get rid of the scratches on the drivers side. (I was gifted a bit of a different brands polish and finish so i figured id try it now. If it doesnt work, ill order adams heavy correcting compound.)

7) use the finishing compound on the rest of the truck (these two are the only items of a different brand ill be using for this)

8) Apply Liquid paint sealant to the rest of the car.

9) Top it off with Buttery Wax

My question is, I also have some old Brilliant Glaze that im considering adding. At what point should I add the glaze? or would you guys skip on it? 

I really wanted to try the ceramic trim and paint coating but Im saving that for later when my other car is ready so I can apply it on both. For now I still have a full bottle of VRT that I need to use.

Let me know what you guys think and if im missing something or should switch some stuff around.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Just a couple suggestions.

Step 4, I'm sure you meant to say undercarriage spray on the wheel wells, but just checking.

Step 5, make sure your use lots of lube while claying. Detail spray is the most commonly used product.

Between step 7 and 8, consider wiping down with coating prep, 50/50 distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, or even another strip wash to rid the paint of any lingering polishing oils.

BG.... lol you'll get differing opinions. Sometimes this topic gets bloody. People typically put it under the paint sealant or on top. I prefer the paint sealant to bond to bare paint so it has maximum effectiveness, therefore I suggest you put the BG on top of that. Then, you can apply buttery or whatever else you want on top of that.

Good luck and post pics!

Haha yes undercarriage for the wheel wells and tire shine for the tires.

As for the brilliant glaze i was thinking the same thing. Im guessing it should last longer than the buttery wax...?

Ill definately post pics. Hopefully i get all my supplies this week so i can tackle this on the weekend

The glaze won't last as long as the Buttery Wax.  The glaze is actually a somewhat short lived product, but while it's there the results are phenomenal.  I usually apply sealant, glaze and then two coats of hand wax (buttery, americana or patriot). 

The only thing I'd add would be to consider spraying the vehicle down with wheel cleaner.  It'll help dissolve any iron deposits stuck in the clear coat.  If you do this with the old pink wheel cleaner, cut it in half with water.  The newer stuff you can use straight up.

The glaze won't last as long as the Buttery Wax.  The glaze is actually a somewhat short lived product, but while it's there the results are phenomenal.  I usually apply sealant, glaze and then two coats of hand wax (buttery, americana or patriot). 

The only thing I'd add would be to consider spraying the vehicle down with wheel cleaner.  It'll help dissolve any iron deposits stuck in the clear coat.  If you do this with the old pink wheel cleaner, cut it in half with water.  The newer stuff you can use straight up.

If thats the case maybe ill try the glaze at the end. Idk maybe ill try it out both ways with another car to see what lasts longer with my conditions

I myself add glaze as a topper whenever I feel like it.  It doesn't build up like a weekly application of wax might, and I have 6 bottles of it so I have plenty to use even every wash. It is short lived as Shane mentioned and I believe this is why most people who don't apply it under the paint sealant do so between the sealant and a wax topper. That way you get the most longevity and shine out of it.  I would try both ways like you were thinking and see which you like best.  I love the shine and pop to the cars paint that the BG gives it.  

Good luck with the detail and remember  :worthless: so we will be waiting!

Thanks for the tips! I might do wax first and then glaze. My bottle of brilliant glaze is pretty old now so i figure it wont last as long as when i first got it. Plus maybe itll help keep the truck less dusty from the buttery wax.

As for the headlights, they look really faded and dull. I used a headlight restore kit that attaches to the drill and it helped a bit but not as much as I wanted. After a while they look just as bad again so this time im thinking about wetsanding them and applying 2k clearcoat. Anyone had any experience doing this? Ive seen some videos and the clear is supposed to help them stay clear for much longer.