Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing tips if you don't live in a shady area?

Scooter McGoo

Question

I don't have any trees or access to shade where I live.  I live in a townhouse so we don't have a proper driveway, so much as we have an alley.  There is no shade (other than what the buildings provide at certain points of the day), and even so, my F150 is so big it's never even half way shaded.

Any tips from those of you without shady driveways or parking spots would be much appreciated.  It's tough as the truck temp is always high on one side, and everything drys so quickly.  

Seriously! SO MANY PEOPLE Wash at night, I'm a little lotta tempted to try it

In places with very hot weather, this is the best option. Its more relaxing too for some reason. The only problem is its more difficult to see how youre drying without light.

Forgot...you should clay it, too, after the strip wash, if you haven't done that recently. And may as well polish it, too, since you have bare paint to work with. So much to buy, one would think it's an addiction. Oh, wait! :)

Post some pics when done. I think you'll be thrilled with the look. B)

So I clayed for the first time (ever) this weekend and just starting laughing at the result.  I laughed again when I used the H20 G&G for the first time; so easy to dry.  It's unreal how well these products work.  I'm so hooked.  :rockon:

So I clayed for the first time (ever) this weekend and just starting laughing at the result.  I laughed again when I used the H20 G&G for the first time; so easy to dry.  It's unreal how well these products work.  I'm so hooked.  :rockon:

Awesome! And you have no idea how hooked you really are. :o

They look the same but the buttons for adjusting the height of legs are sooo much easier to operate and it folds and unfolds easy enough I can put a 10 x 15 by myself. The EZ Up requires 2 people to pull in opposite directions in order to expand.

Do you happen to know which model of the Caravan Canopy that you have?  Seems they have models that go from $89 up to $226 for a 10x10.

They look the same but the buttons for adjusting the height of legs are sooo much easier to operate and it folds and unfolds easy enough I can put a 10 x 15 by myself. The EZ Up requires 2 people to pull in opposite directions in order to expand.

Amazon has some pretty screaming deals. I just purchased this 10x15 caravan canopy. I haven't used it yet but you can't beat the price. It just arrived today so maybe in a couple of weeks I'll test it out. I can also use it at the beach.

https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Canopy-Titanshade-15-Feet-White/dp/B00TJ2JSU8

Edited by Scooter McGoo

In places with very hot weather, this is the best option. Its more relaxing too for some reason. The only problem is its more difficult to see how youre drying without light.

Night washing is great! I try to start as soon as the sun is off my driveway which this time of year is about 8pm. Only downfall for me is dealing with the bugs that refuse to leave me alone!

Amazon has some pretty screaming deals. I just purchased this 10x15 caravan canopy. I haven't used it yet but you can't beat the price. It just arrived today so maybe in a couple of weeks I'll test it out. I can also use it at the beach.

https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Canopy-Titanshade-15-Feet-White/dp/B00TJ2JSU8

That's a great deal! Did it come with the sides & sand bags? Your gonna want the sand bags or some kind of weights so the wind can't lift it up.

Do you happen to know which model of the Caravan Canopy that you have?  Seems they have models that go from $89 up to $226 for a 10x10.

It's been a while sorry but I don't remember a model. I think I paid $199 and it came with 3 side panels and 4 weight bags.

That's a great deal! Did it come with the sides & sand bags? Your gonna want the sand bags or some kind of weights so the wind can't lift it up.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but i don't think it did.  I haven't opened the box yet (or what's left of it, damn UPS), but was planning on unpacking it this weekend.

It was heavy when I picked it up, but not heavy enough to have weights in it, so my guess would be no, it did not come with sand bags.  I believe it only comes with a roller bag and stakes.  No sides.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but i don't think it did.  I haven't opened the box yet (or what's left of it, damn UPS), but was planning on unpacking it this weekend.

It was heavy when I picked it up, but not heavy enough to have weights in it, so my guess would be no, it did not come with sand bags.  I believe it only comes with a roller bag and stakes.  No sides.

The sand bags would be empty so they won't add much weight. The roller bag is handy

Late evening/night car cleaning is quite nice to be honest lol.  Get yourself a nice bright LED light or flood light, comes in handy when cleaning wheels and you want to make sure you got everything.

Another great option is just finding a park or other shaded place and adopt Rinse Less washing.  One of the best things about Rinse Less washing is your cleaning the car in sections. No hose no problem. Don't have to deal with water spots and soap residue drying on the vehicle.

Edited by LS1MONSTER

Yep, do that for sure. And don't forget the hex applicator (red or yellow), unless you change your mind about a machine polisher. Oh, and you'll need to strip wash the car before applying it, so pick up either the SW, APC (a few ounces with some CS works well), or you could use blue Dawn dish soap (not as good of suds, and some fret the potential drying out of the trim...but I've used it with no ill effects, so can only assume it's a potential long term effect of repeated usage).

Put the dish soap back in the kitchen!

Don't apply any water to the car until absolutely necessary. Here's a basic outline of the process of recommend:

1) Clean wheels, tires, wheel wells and exhaust tips first, spraying only those areas

2) Foam Gun/Canon (if you have one...and if not, get one!) the entire car with Adam's (pH neutral) CS or W&W. If it dries on the car, no worries. The soap will NOT harm your car.

3) Wash car with Adam's sponge/pad/mitt, only using the soap and water that's in the cleaning tool

4) Now, hose rinse the car, and start the clock to get it dry

5) Dry with DS as a drying aid, using either of the drying towels; HGG is another awesome option to dry, seal up and add shine!

good write up. I washed adams video on dryer and he used detail spray once you rinse the water off then wipe the truck down. It works amazing and I only used one towel. 

I called Adam's when I was correction my black camaro and they said if no shade you just have to work in smaller sections etc.  I have the same problem as you when washing and just have to rinse the areas the sun is not directly hitting first and then the direct sun spots last and get out the detail spray and towels and start drying.  Dry the sun areas first then the non direct areas last.  

wash the whole cars with adams shampoo, don't rinse until the whole car is washed. the shampoo is PH neutral, will prevent spotting and wont harm the car if it dries on the paint.  then rinse and dry as quickly as possible H2O GG is a great product to apply while the car is wet too.